Sideshow Hoth Han Solo (Echo Base)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Really want Hot Toys to do Hoth Han and Luke, and think they will.

I think Han in blue coat might be one of my favorite versions of the character. It's the biggest departure from his usual getup, and while I'm in the brown coat camp for accuracy, the blue SS version looked so damn cool on the shelf.

I?m really hoping HT makes Hoth Han and Luke also. I?ve had the sideshow blue coat version since day 1 and have thought about selling but my concern is that HT won?t make this version. It?s not bad on display with the headgear on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah with the hood and goggles on I'd say this was near HT quality. Although I did get kind of bored being only able to display him that way, which is one reason I eventually ended up selling mine. Hopefully the HT version will have a good enough sculpt that we can display him like he appeared in Echo Base as well.

Yeah, I'd love to see HT do Han Hoth but the SSC fig is decent. Other than new hands, I still haven't done much to mine. I'm still updating the Luke - still have new hands and a HT Luke Bespin head for that one - but for Han I wanted to repaint the boots and replace the fur on the hood plus replace the head.

Sideshow was pretty consistently close to on-par with HT in terms of weapons, clothing and accessories, so just like with the HT Luke Snowspeeder (where I'd argue the Sideshow clothing is about equal to HT's: the jackets just nail different variations of the same outfit) I don't expect the HT Han Hoth outfit to be hugely better, but it'll be really fun to see.

Though both the SSC Luke and Han Hoth heads are poor paint wise (and have a more blocky/simplistic level of sculpt detail vs HT,) HT hasn't exactly nailed Han or Luke either, even if the paint and level sculpt detailing is way better.

MAVBkJE.jpg

This is my parts bin Echo Base Han using the eBay head...

duvtzpy.jpg

And a neutral pose "warts and all" pic of the stock SSC fig, just with replacement hands...

yDRiZu4.jpg

Aside from the lower detail paint jobs, the only real issue with SS versions are those separate bug eyes. I appreciate what SS was trying to do, but the eye cavities were just to big. For the most part, if displayed correctly those issues are hardly noticeable.

Here's my old shots

6b1QOdA.jpg

TdueEjV.jpg

Luke would look better with the googles on (bug eye is quite prominent), but I can live with this due to the all round awesome in every other bit of this set up. If you were talented, just a little added sculpt around the eyes to squint them more, colour matched to the skin tone, and on a shelf from normal viewing distance it's a total winner.

Aside from the lower detail paint jobs, the only real issue with SS versions are those separate bug eyes. I appreciate what SS was trying to do, but the eye cavities were just to big. For the most part, if displayed correctly those issues are hardly noticeable.

Luke would look better with the googles on (bug eye is quite prominent), but I can live with this due to the all round awesome in every other bit of this set up. If you were talented, just a little added sculpt around the eyes to squint them more, colour matched to the skin tone, and on a shelf from normal viewing distance it's a total winner.

Yeah the bug-eyes were a bit strange - almost like doll eyes set into micro eyelids. Ambitious but weird.

I still think the original Trevor sculpts were pretty strong. Shame Sideshow had to go and butcher them.

Yeah, your paint-up (wish I had those skills) really showed the Han is a pretty good likeness. A little on the blocky side, especially the hair, but a really pretty solid sculpt. Did you ever do a paint-up of the Luke? It's another one that is quite a good likeness but suffers from awful weird skin tone and apps.

I still remember the chaos that erupted here when the first pics of the production Luke dropped. The first pics were not great and made the production version look worse than it is(and it's far from perfect). I think it was Sideshow's first over $200 figure and people expected a big step up in quality, up to that point they had always been cheaper than Hot Toys. The geek rage carried on and on for pages and I think that was back when there were still a ton of Sideshow shills lurking about and also mods defending their sponsor with the threat of the banhammer.

Sadly, here we are a few years later and Sideshow is out of the business never having discovered Hot Toys secret sauce recipe for human paint apps and details. Still love the Sideshow Star Wars stuff I have though.

Yeah, your paint-up (wish I had those skills) really showed the Han is a pretty good likeness. A little on the blocky side, especially the hair, but a really pretty solid sculpt. Did you ever do a paint-up of the Luke? It's another one that is quite a good likeness but suffers from awful weird skin tone and apps.

No I never got the Luke figure. I know it's considered iconic but I've always found that beige Hoth outfit incredibly boring for some reason, and it's my least favorite of any outfit he wore in the OT. Although the bug-eyed sculpt certainly didn't help. I might reconsider if HT ever makes their own.

Yeah, it's a damn shame Sideshow totally butchered the great sculpt by Trevor with those googly eyes. Also, remember that the Han and Luke bodies were switched--Han had the shorter prometheus, and Luke had the taller one!

But honestly the figure with his hood up (and with a taller body) looks pretty good on the shelf. The outfit and accessories are really quite good and I display him proudly among the other HT Hans in my collection.

Of course I will not hesitate for a second to buy a HT version.

I do remember when these debuted at a ComicCon and they blew me away! I don't know if the prototypes didn't have the googly eyes or if they just did a better job at executing the new technique, but the whole thing looked amazing and even at HT levels for the time.

Has anyone tried displaying a Bespin Han custom with the sideshow Hoth parka? To recreate the scene where Han is just wearing the parka in Echo base?

I tried this out at one point when I had the figure.
626bba2c5bd2447542e6b3532e349b66.jpg

Thank you! I want to do this but can’t find the best way to make a Bespin Han. I have Hoth Luke but no Hoth Han either and no one sells just the sideshow parka or the Bespin jacket. Any ideas? Where did you get the rest of the clothes?

They were plentiful at the time. Best route would be to be patient and grab the full Hoth figure when you see a decent price since you need the parka, blaster, shirt, and Bespin jacket which are all included with the figure.

For this figure i was using the ANH Solo body, boots, holster, and the pants were from the old Sideshow Bespin Han figure, but people have also used the Yavin Luke pants and the Enterbay Han pants. Lots of options these days for the boots but the pants are tough to acquire.

Thank you! I want to do this but can?t find the best way to make a Bespin Han. I have Hoth Luke but no Hoth Han either and no one sells just the sideshow parka or the Bespin jacket. Any ideas? Where did you get the rest of the clothes?
If you are located in the UK I know a guy selling that shot blue bespin jacket.

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

I mean when he was repairing the Falcon like this figure represents.View attachment 496456

I can't remember, was this from a deleted scene? I haven't watched them all in a while. I think the only time in the final movie we see him wearing that combo is very briefly when he's on top of the Falcon (and then suddenly it's gone a couple minutes later when he says goodbye to Luke).

If you are located in the UK I know a guy selling that shot blue bespin jacket.

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

I am in the US but how much and maybe you could ship it to me if I pay you?

Back