Sideshow BTVS Faith Maquette Statue

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree I see it in the Jo Chen print and if that is what they are trying to do then that is fine but include the print as the ex.

Even then tho, it's still not great. The pose needs work and the pants need a change. And also, the base. It's okay to take the pose, face, etc from Jo's cover. I love that cover. But it's not okay to mess it up!
;)

I agree that this looks like a PF editon and needs more going on with the base. In the article it does say the EX edition will have her famous knife that you can change out. But they need to fix the face and put her standing on something. Even her standing on a grave and a vampire hand poping out would be something more to work with.

Now that i'm thinking about it if you are placing Faith next to buffy maybe Buffy is supposed to be the main part of the look and Faith and others will be standing by her thrown.... I'll be putting my EX PF Angel next to my Buffy Thrown and Faith on the other end.

I talked to one of the people at SSC and they said they should have info on it next month.

Changes that need to be made:

New Face
New base as said in the grave yard or maybe on a beat up car
Change pants to black leather pants
Change shirt to her famous white wife beater

Maybe have her holding a demons head or heart could look cool as well.

Is poor Xander ever going to see anything made after him? If they did I still don't think I would buy it

I talked to one of the people at SSC and they said they should have info on it next month.

New Face

Is poor Xander ever going to see anything made after him? If they did I still don't think I would buy it

Don't forget...fix the legs!

DSCN0267.jpg

New Face

Did the SS person fill you in what they had planned or was this just wishful thinking... lol. Your proposed changes basically say "scrap the present statue, do something completely new, include an elaborate base, and use a totally different sculptor"... lol

oh no...... what a huuuge disappointment!! I was eagerly awaiting this, but i agree with most here, it just looks off.

Face looks nothing like Eliza (and yes i want a good representation of the TV Faith NOT the comic faith art), crotch, color of pants, even her stake looks 'bent'?, and im not liking the 'pants inside boots look either', the base is very very bland, her waist also looks weird.

This needs a very BIG makeover before its officially announced, my guess is this will end the buffy line yet again as a result of poor sales due to poor design and production and we will be lucky if we ever see any Buffy stuff again.

Cmon SS dont drop the ball so early in the line, listen to us fans and make the changes!! :(

Wow. Major disappointment. I was looking forward to this line continuing, but at a time I am canceling okay releases from other Sideshow lines, I might just call it a day with the semi-SMG Buffy on the weird throne of Evil.

We have talked about actor likeness versus the essence of the character before. To me, the Buffy characters will always be associated with their actors visually. One of the reasons I like Jo Chen's book covers is that they borrow resemblance from the live actors.

This is like a bad game of telephone. Jo Chen's art is based on Eliza Dushku as Faith. So much of the resemblance is gone from the second copy. Maybe it's Eliza Dushku's stunt double as Faith. The head is the wrong shape - tiny, narrow forehead and huge jaw. Pear shaped, the exact opposite of ED. Lips and eyes are all wrong. And the wide hips and tiny head. Looks like she's given birth 3 or 4 times.

They should not have released that proto pic. Now I am dreading the flaws are too much to overcome, especially if they are looking to have something up on their website in a month. This needs a major re-working or it might be the first pass on a Sideshow Buffy piece for me.

Do people who think that this looks nothing like Eliza actually think the Buffy looks like Sarah? I was pretty underwhelmed with the likeness when I got her. Yes I was one of the people who only bought her to keep the line going. No I don't have money to burn but I really want this line to flourish. I fear this line will end before it even gets started, and to be honest I will be devastated if it does die an early death.

Last edited:
Do people who think that this looks nothing like Eliza actually think the Buffy looks like Sarah? I was pretty underwhelmed with the likeness when I got her. Yes I was one of the people who only bought her to keep the line going. No I don't have money to burn but I really want this line to flourish. I fear this line will end before it even gets started, and to be honest I will be devastated if it does die an early death.

If it dies an early death with Faith, that is not our fault, it's ssc's for giving us THAT. We can all only pray that she gets completely reworked, but the likelihood of that happening I do feel is pretty slim. In a month they are going to change her completely? I doubt it. I hope, but seems doubtful.

I do see smg in the Buffy throne. It's not an identical match no, but I do see her. But for the Faith, I wouldn't have known that was Faith had the pose not been so much like the awesome Jo Chen's.

While this isn't a dead on likeness, I do think it captures the character pretty well. I love the base, and I really love the pose. Some people like dramatic poses, but I like it to look like the character is actually posing for a picture since that's really what I want if there isn't a whole diorama included. I just want a 3-D, full body portrait.

My only issue with this piece is that the proportions seem to shrink as you go up from the feet, and the head seems shrunken a little. The torso may also be too long. I hope it's just the upward angle of it. Aside from that, I like the sculpt.

While I can appreciate capturing the "spirit of the character", my thinking is why stop there? Surely, someone suggested that fans might also appreciate it if the sculpture looked like the actress who played her as well. This can't be compared to images of Spiderman who has had a hundred different artist renditions of him. In Faith's case, there's just Eliza. All the comic artwork which followed was also based on Eliza.

For me this line is not quite as spectacular as it should be. Faith is the linch pin character that Buffy fans were anticipating most. Its so dissapointing when a statue company misses the mark so badly.

If it dies an early death with Faith, that is not our fault, it's ssc's for giving us THAT. We can all only pray that she gets completely reworked, but the likelihood of that happening I do feel is pretty slim. In a month they are going to change her completely? I doubt it. I hope, but seems doubtful.

I do see smg in the Buffy throne. It's not an identical match no, but I do see her. But for the Faith, I wouldn't have known that was Faith had the pose not been so much like the awesome Jo Chen's.

No I never said it was the collectors fail if this line dies. What I meant, I have a feeling this will be another line where we'll be told the line didn't sell enough to continue. I felt that before I even saw Faith. That's why I threw in my support for Buffy on the the throne even though I'm not too keen on it.

I honestly can see Eliza in the sculpt. When I first saw it I thought 'cool, Faith' without reading any text, yet with Buffy even after really study the face I just don't really see Sarah. I do have gripes with this statue. I'm just saying I see the likeness, I know I'm in the minority here.

We should wait until we actually see an official preview before getting upset. It's possible they've gone back to the drawing board for this one.

Always possible, not usually probable. SSC is pretty good at holding back finished pieces from magazines and more likely to show an unpainted sculpt or conceptual before throwing up something they were going to scrap anyway. Its highly likely that what you see is what you get.

the reason i think folks got a wad in their undies is that it's based off a jo chen art and not the dushku.

You'd be right. Eliza has yet to be captured accurately for SSC. I think its unfortunate that they went with Jo Chen's art which is great but in itself bears passing resemblances to the actors/actresses instead of getting Trevor or one of their other fantastic sculptors to really go for a Dushku likeness especially in the larger scale.

Do people who think that this looks nothing like Eliza actually think the Buffy looks like Sarah?

No it doesn't. The Buffy piece doesn't say Sarah Michelle Gellar likeness in the details and I doubt this will say Eliza Dushku but the difference is that we've gotten a ton of SMG likenesses, the 1/6 figures when repainted and retooled are shockingly close and the PF when given a little TLC is definitely a great likeness capture. I've seen some really talented people attack the 1/6 Faith with not a whole lot of success other than to make the overall finish better not the likeness. With the lack of Faith products, I would have hoped this one would have been a "do-over" for SSC not another "almost there".

The funny thing is I do see a lot of people on this forum who spend big bucks on statues because they hope to keep the line alive not because they love the piece and that the likeness is spot on.

I see that too but it doesn't make sense really. With monster cash cows like Star Wars or Marvel, it isn't as vital because realistically you'll see the character again. I can't tell looking at all of my Lukes how different the sculpts look and their progression until getting to the Luke PF which I think captures it beautifully. With Buffy though, there isn't a whole of a double dipping outside of the amazingly populars like Buffy, Angel or Spike. We didn't see a ton of Xanders or Willows to show off updated and bettered sculpts. We didn't get that opportunity and SSC knew they weren't going to do it. With this line, while it is promising I guarantee you that we won't get another Faith so I don't think its too much to ask for it to be done right the only time we'll get it. If it were an artist line like Adam Hughes or Mark Brooks then okay I can take interpretations but this is a maquette of Faith who was Dushku and that is where the inspirations should begin and end IMHO. I'd rather have a subpar line die quickly then to support a line only to have pieces that are less than desirable continue to be churned out at the prices they are asking. I think the Buffy piece is outstanding regardless of the likeness but this is boring and as the second piece out of the block potentially I don't think its a line worth supporting if the rest come out like this. I'm interested to see the reaction once we get an official look but remember that in production things are usually worse so the factory paint might make the likeness look even worse which is one of my fears.

New Face

It was asked earlier but I'll ask it again, is this a wishlist or info you got. That is so much to change I would question why they'd even show it if it is legit but my thoughts initially is that this is what you want changed not what will be changed.

I am with Mike. Why the heck did they not get Trevor to work on the Faith sculpt?!! It would have looked exactly like Eliza. I am not saying the other sculpters are not talented, but obviously they aren't doing what is needed to be done.

:horror Trash it and start again

:lecture:clap

And again, do a graveyard/gravestone base. I think this would be the BEST option for Faith. I cannot stress that enough. I think my idea is a good iead. :yess:

I just pictured that scene in season 7 when Faith and Buffy are in the graveyard and Faith grabs the stake from Buffy's pant leg pocket to stake a vamp. Very excellent scene.

Sorry, just thought I'd share.

Back