Sideshow announces new LOTR polystone at SDCC

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why would they base it on a computer game? Why not base it on the works of Tolkien directly? I haven't played the game, so I don't know how faithful it is to Tolkien's works but why not go directly to the source?

In any case, very interesting news indeed.

Ok, SDCC is over so where's the announcement on the next 12" LOTR fig?... ;)

Fubeca said:
Mumak Standing up anyone?

Let injections begin!
Yeah they need to make the mumak that was in the background on the dvd and at the lotr exhibition.

FlyAndFight said:
Why would they base it on a computer game? Why not base it on the works of Tolkien directly? I haven't played the game, so I don't know how faithful it is to Tolkien's works but why not go directly to the source?

The first BFME is very true to the movie. The second BFME is a mix of PJ's Trilogy, the books and some of EAs own imagniation. But is made to blend in with the movie design. I would say they mangaged to do so about 70%

I don't I like this new news much... We'll know more about it closer to 2007

this is great news, but i would rather much stay with their 12" line.....but, if SS captures the likeness with the polystone, I will have to ditch the 12" line and go for the polystone.

i'm done with lotr poly i'll stick to 1/4 and 1/6 I like these mediums better plus with poly it's hit or miss on the paintjobs and the whole thing has to be painted but I know one person who must be doing the CHEWIE :chew

Hey Beru where you at I thought by now you would of chimed in on this hope it puts a smile on your face Grrrl :D

I'm not sure how excited I am... My place is packed to the gills with SSW statues, busts, helms, wall plaques and medallions...

It also leaves me a bit disappointed that Weta may not be involved with LOTR poly anymore... Weta was the big reason for me to get involved with the whole thing.

I think the sad reality is kicking in, that I can't get everything, the completist in me is being tortured. I've been liking the LOTR 12" more with the recent pics from Comicon, although I only have Aragorn Exclusive on order and will keep him as a substitute for the Strider SSW statue.

I also have Lurtz Exclusive on order but didn't get Frodo PF. So I'm not quite as hopeless as other board members (thank God!).

I think it is too early to give in to pangs of sadness. Maybe SS LOTR poly will be awesome but if they repeat characters, zero interest. Also if it's in any other scale than 1/6 I will probably pass too.

Beren

If Weta was involved I'd be all over it. But, for now I am taking a wait-and-see approach on the news.

Agent23 said:
If Weta was involved I'd be all over it. But, for now I am taking a wait-and-see approach on the news.

I love Weta and what they did to help bring LOTR to life. The SSW stuff is very special because of this fact alone. However, Weta has dropped the ball on LOTR and SS is doing what we want in bringing us high end LOTR items. Not to mention they did do a few things on the LOTR line themselves when Weta was involved.

This sounds like great news (for me, not for my credit card), although I too will be doing the wait and see thing. I'll be very keen to hear more about this line, though. And honestly, I wouldn't mind at all if they repeated characters from the SSW line - in fact I hope they will, at least as far as the Fellowship goes. I just can't get enough Fellowship. I'm compelled to get them in every format I can manage.

And hey, this might be a chance to get a polystone Faramir! :)

Very exciting news indeed....I don't mind if they repeat characters as long as it's a very noticeable change of pose. Will have to wait and see.....

gambit said:
Ditto on all,

I hope SS would not do something like MR. I might even drop interest in collecting then

If they indeed start releasing better Cave Trolls, Balrogs etc. collecting SS is over for me, just like I'll never buy an MR piece after the second AT-AT got released weeks after shipping the first.

But of course it would be a wonderfull chance to see the pieces we all wanted... Eomer on horse, Faramir, Arwen on Asfaloth....

Lynxje said:
But of course it would be a wonderfull chance to see the pieces we all wanted... Eomer on horse, Faramir, Arwen on Asfaloth....

This is again what my opinions are, there are still some characters that can be sculpted and I can buy. I am sure Sideshow will not make the same stupid mistakes MR is doing over and over again.

BTW, that han solo elite blaster still not sold out as I remember :D :D

carbo-fation said:
Great news! maybe now we'll see a complete Treebeard figure! :chew

Heh, I finally broke down and bought my first Bust just recently -- A Treebeard. Fantastic BTW. :D

I wouldn't complain though.

jlcmsu said:
I love Weta and what they did to help bring LOTR to life. The SSW stuff is very special because of this fact alone. However, Weta has dropped the ball on LOTR and SS is doing what we want in bringing us high end LOTR items. Not to mention they did do a few things on the LOTR line themselves when Weta was involved.

Sideshow's great, probably the best toy company around, all considered. But I really appreciate consistency, and as most around here hope, as unlikely as it is, I would love to see the "gaps" filled in one day. Having the actual film artists complete the collectibles was just too good, and that line was THE thing that got me started in this crazy hobby. :lol They'll always be my favorites.

spaceman said:
Sideshow's great, probably the best toy company around, all considered. But I really appreciate consistency, and as most around here hope, as unlikely as it is, I would love to see the "gaps" filled in one day. Having the actual film artists complete the collectibles was just too good, and that line was THE thing that got me started in this crazy hobby. :lol They'll always be my favorites.

Well spoken :clap . I am not sure, it will take something very astounding to make me get repeat characters. :monkey3

spaceman said:

They will always be my favorites as well. I'm just more of a LOTR fan that simply Weta.

Food for thought...

Is it better to have a crappy sculptor that worked on a movie create a collectible or to have a great sculptor that didn't work on a movie create a collectible?

Disclaimer: I'm not saying anyone at Weta is crappy. It's simply something to ponder when wondering how someone other than Weta could do a LotR collectible justice.

Back