Sideshow 1/6 R2-D2

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had a flat piece of metal wedged in there prying it while also pulling the top dome, and it wasn't budging. I may give it another try after I hear from SS. Don't wanna risk trashing it before I know I can replace it if needed.

I pulled mine apart to re-glue the top projector back in place. It was a tough at first but it pried right off. It was not glued. It took me a few attempts because I thought it was going to break but using a plastic spudger, working it around the edge little by little worked. When opened it was obvious exactly how the projector was glued in to begin with and I just out the tiniest drop of Gorilla Goue ther, held it for a few seconds and that was it. Good as new.

16506111062_3d60acfbc0_o.jpg

little dude is pretty neat regardless...the weathering is awesome too

I followed Kamandi's instructions and was able to scrape off the silver weathering from the main eye surround. It was easy to do and took about 5 minutes with an xacto blade. Looks much better now!

Any of you lot have the Medicom?
I pulled it out earlier to compare, firstly yes it's not 1/6th, it's tiny.

But you know what? the build and finish on it makes the SS version look and feel like a cheap toy. The detail on it is so much sharper, it's sturdy, heavy, the plastic is much much better. Shocking when you think about when it was released. I like the SS one. It can look good on display. But its so frickin cheap and flimsy. The build on it is a joke. A pile of lose bits of plastic thrown together. The finish on it is awful as well. Again, typical for SS, they got so much right and fell at the last production hurdle. I really didn't even notice until I pulled the midget Medi out to compare.

Agree on the cheap feel to it, but he's grown on me and I love him. Maybe I'm blinded by my love of Star Wars:)

I'm the same Rob (and I'm definitely blinded by my love of Star Wars - guess what I've gone and done!)
The thing I'm most surprised at though, is just how much I'm agreeing with Rorywan over the last couple of days, must be something in the water

Any of you lot have the Medicom?
I pulled it out earlier to compare, firstly yes it's not 1/6th, it's tiny.

But you know what? the build and finish on it makes the SS version look and feel like a cheap toy. The detail on it is so much sharper, it's sturdy, heavy, the plastic is much much better. Shocking when you think about when it was released. I like the SS one. It can look good on display. But its so frickin cheap and flimsy. The build on it is a joke. A pile of lose bits of plastic thrown together. The finish on it is awful as well. Again, typical for SS, they got so much right and fell at the last production hurdle. I really didn't even notice until I pulled the midget Medi out to compare.

You should stop buying junking Sideshow stuff, bra.

I'm the same Rob (and I'm definitely blinded by my love of Star Wars - guess what I've gone and done!)
The thing I'm most surprised at though, is just how much I'm agreeing with Rorywan over the last couple of days, must be something in the water

What have you gone and done Vince?

I have to say having R2 for the past week has been great. Just looking at him on my desk brings a smile to my face and it makes me feel very satisfied with my collection. A very big hole has been filled (that's what she said!). The collection really feels fairly complete thanks to R2. Once Chewie arrives, I can die happy! :lol

Rory - I'm having a hard time connecting "medicom" and "build quality".

:lol Have you any of their droids though? They really were amazingly built (they would want to have been considering their price point).

This R2 is just like a lot of other SS releases for me. Great sculpt, it absolutely is the best R2 out there, but shoddy production and mass manufacturing.

I have to say having R2 for the past week has been great. Just looking at him on my desk brings a smile to my face and it makes me feel very satisfied with my collection. A very big hole has been filled (that's what she said!). The collection really feels fairly complete thanks to R2. Once Chewie arrives, I can die happy! :lol
:lol
If you don't have a HT Stormtrooper there is still a massive hole in your collection. I have R2 standing on my desk too, flanked by two of the most impressive Star Wars collectibles I've ever seen.

It feels like we are finally getting the SW 1/6 collection of our dreams. Chewe and Han, bring them on. I cannot wait for ANH Luke and Leia.

Back