Sideshow 1/6 R2-D2

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow all these pics are great! especially with 3PO! nice pics fellow freaks!

Got mine in this week, snapped a few quick pics today. Mine had one issue, the projector light is stuck in one position. I suspect from dried paint. Not a deal breaker for me. Still happy with him, but I should have just bought him loose...not going to use the accessories.

Here is my contribution. Straight out of the box and unmodified. I know I'll probably get flamed for putting him with prequel characters....ha

sideshow_R2_D2.jpg

sideshow_R2_D2_anakin_obi_wan.jpg

I'm just as guilty of it as the next guy, but the comments about the fragility of this are kind of funny to me now. I had to destroy my dome as I received a replacement from SSC. . . which unfortunately was no better than the oringal. Once I understood how to get the life scanner up, it was more of a "feature" than a manufacturing error, I guess.

But anyways, as I gave it a solid effort, whacking the dome with a hammer, I was expecting it to shatter, but it didn't. R2's dome isn't a dome so much as it is sections, so ironically it's pretty structurally sound.

After a few minutes of hitting it with a hammer, I managed to scuff R2 up pretty good, and only managed to break off the center panel. There were a few other dents and cracks, but I was really expecting to bash it to smithereens with minimal effort, but alas it was not to be.

I'm just as guilty of it as the next guy, but the comments about the fragility of this are kind of funny to me now. I had to destroy my dome as I received a replacement from SSC. . . which unfortunately was no better than the oringal. Once I understood how to get the life scanner up, it was more of a "feature" than a manufacturing error, I guess.

But anyways, as I gave it a solid effort, whacking the dome with a hammer, I was expecting it to shatter, but it didn't. R2's dome isn't a dome so much as it is sections, so ironically it's pretty structurally sound.

After a few minutes of hitting it with a hammer, I managed to scuff R2 up pretty good, and only managed to break off the center panel. There were a few other dents and cracks, but I was really expecting to bash it to smithereens with minimal effort, but alas it was not to be.

how long did it take for you to get the new dome as I am to waiting for the new one. I took the lighting system and put it into the taito clock r2 it now light up

how long did it take for you to get the new dome as I am to waiting for the new one. I took the lighting system and put it into the taito clock r2 it now light up

It took 12 days from the day I placed my replacement request on their site to the day I received the replacement dome.

Sideshow just sent these light instructions for R2. Guess they realized their instructions were pretty minimalist.
Light-up instructions for R2-D2 Deluxe Sixth Scale Figure | Sideshow Collectibles
I got this email from SS too with the video. I already learned from this thread how to open the dome and turn on the lights, but I watched the video anyway... After I did, it came off as a bit arrogantly presented to me; as if to say, "Ok you dim-witted clod, HERE'S HOW you use the lights." and the ten-second demo repeated over, and over, and over, about twelve times.

Clean droid people are funny.

R2 is the dirtiest robot in film with the exception of Wall-E and there's people who want him factory new. :huh

I hit mine with some oil paint and turpenoid tonight. It's a first layer so it's pretty subdued. I'll let this dry for a day and start doing some speckle and detail. There's some Raw Sienna and Ivory Black washed into the details and it adds some hue to the feet and lower trunk. The restraining bolt has a black wash on it too but I forgot to add that before snapping pics.

Good idea Pixelpiper. Yeah, the grime is going to be a build up of washes this week. I want to study where ANH R2 is dirty in the earlier scenes on Tatooine.

I also ordered some of the Dykem Steel Blue dye seen below. When it gets here I'll see what it looks like.

h7FIvIV.jpg

Nice start on the weathering! I agree R2 and 3PO both look their coolest all weathered and dirtied up like they appear in most of ANH.

Although I think I would lean more towards a medium brown color on the dome than the much darker color you seem to have.

I got this email from SS too with the video. I already learned from this thread how to open the dome and turn on the lights, but I watched the video anyway... After I did, it came off as a bit arrogantly presented to me; as if to say, "Ok you dim-witted clod, HERE'S HOW you use the lights." and the ten-second demo repeated over, and over, and over, about twelve times.

Yes...Susan can be a bit rude. She was to me at SDCC last year.

Clean droid people are funny.

R2 is the dirtiest robot in film with the exception of Wall-E and there's people who want him factory new. :huh

I hit mine with some oil paint and turpenoid tonight. It's a first layer so it's pretty subdued. I'll let this dry for a day and start doing some speckle and detail. There's some Raw Sienna and Ivory Black washed into the details and it adds some hue to the feet and lower trunk. The restraining bolt has a black wash on it too but I forgot to add that before snapping pics.

Great job!

Who's missing in this pic....?? R2 D2..., where are you!!??? :impatient:

Always love seeing your hallway dio. Which reminds me... Do you still have measurements written down anywhere or scale drawings of the parts you made for the hallway? It's one of the backgrounds I'd like to build later in the year and having some numbers would be a great head start.

Always love seeing your hallway dio. Which reminds me... Do you still have measurements written down anywhere or scale drawings of the parts you made for the hallway? It's one of the backgrounds I'd like to build later in the year and having some numbers would be a great head start.

Thanx pixel!!

Broad: 62 cm
Depth: 45 cm
Height: 50 cm (without lightcasing)

This was my first diorama I built and I got lucky that the wooden panels I used for the outer-casing were just the right size....Then I just looked at a lot of reference pics and estimated by eye what the right proportions should be. So no blueprints or other mathematical drawings. Because it was my first no making of pics either. Trial and error is stil the way I make my diorama's.....

Be sure to post some pics

Back