Sideshow 1/6 R2-D2

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just ordered my R2 and I cannot wait to display him with my C-3PO from Tamashii. I just moved into a new house and my work office needs shelves to display a few of my items.

Is there an exact date for release? It displayed Feb-March at Sideshow when I ordered...

I just ordered my R2 and I cannot wait to display him with my C-3PO from Tamashii. I just moved into a new house and my work office needs shelves to display a few of my items.

Is there an exact date for release? It displayed Feb-March at Sideshow when I ordered...

It could be anytime really. They are still having issues at the dock, unsure when that will get resolved.

I wouldn't mind personally if this got pushed to April. My savings took a bath with my own little Union impasse that doubled the cost of my Medical benefits while they argue it out but I would imagine from what I've read once the dock issues become resolved the estimate is about three to four weeks to clear everything out. So once they do come to an agreement let's say last week of January, it'll probably be in most hands by Mid-February.

I have to say this looks good. I don't see these seams that a few mentioned. Perhaps I missed the images a few pages back.

Also didn't Hot Toys or someone, perhaps Budget Stark say that Hot Toys thought the Sideshow R2 was good and that they might not make a version?

Kinda hard to see the point in HT making their own version, since all they could really do is improve a few nitpicky details here and there. And it's likely we'd just find a whole new set of problems to complain about with the HT version anyway.

HT will make an R2. The Droids print their own money. They may not be in any rush but they won't skip in the chance to do them.

Yeah in 2-3 years when they aren't available and these go for way more than retail HT can come out and sell a bunch more. And if the price is right I will buy one for to join all his friends.

I see this being a discount though if Hot toys makes a diecast r2-d2 with voice box.

Yup, just like Sideshow is discounting their Stormtroopers now than Hot Toys has announced theirs. Same for Sideshow's Obi Wan and ANH Vader - all steep discounts now. In a few years when Hot Toys releases their R2, Sideshow won't be able to sell their R2, that's for sure.

Last edited:
I agree though that when HT gets around to doing this one, they will likely go real brushed aluminium dome and voice effects.

And suckers like me will buy it even though it is identical to this one in every respect (except for not having any accessories).

I see this being a discount though if Hot toys makes a diecast r2-d2 with voice box.

Discount to what? I only paid $130 - that's old school pricing. After the 2 years HT will take to do their R2, expect a $200+ pricetag.

In the context of "average/basic" new HT (and SSC) figs being in the $275 range at that time, I just don't see this R2 dropping much below $130, especially given that this R2 doesn't have a glaringly obvious flaw like the Medi R2 had.

And HT will never do the drinks tray, which is what I need for my Jabba display.

Discount to what?

I can't be the only one that sees the basic issue with the silliness Remy posted, surely? If Hot Toys announces their own product this year it will have no effect on the pricing of a Sideshow product that will be long sold out by the time the new HT product hits the market. The end. :rotfl Just like the other prime examples I gave.

Some people need to invent a time machine, because it's too late now to ck1 (that's "pre-cancelling" for those not in the loop on the lingo).

Secondary market would still have these but hard to see these dropping under $130 as TaliBane says. We haven't yet seen the affect HT Vader and Stormtrooper will have on prices of the sideshow versions.

Back