Sideshow 1/6 Jabba and Throne

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That did occur to me as well. Seemed kind of like they wanted to get the jump on HT, if that's the case. I still can't get my head around the possibility of two 1/6 scale Jabba sets on the market at once (and both sold by Sideshow, right?). Seems like there might not be enough demand for that, especially since there are already thousands of the old set floating around. But I'm not complaining!

Yeah, it is odd how saturated the market is becoming.

This does look kinda cool. I had the old one. This one is $500 more..

Would feel sick if I bought this and then HT came out with one soon after though..

Would feel sicker if Prime1 had the license and created one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Gingerly waiting for the preorder to go up at Popcultcha to see how many internal organs I need to sell (or maybe time it with their sales instead...actually, that’s probably the better option. Kidneys are useful.)[emoji106]

Edit:
It’s also just hit me that the timing of this isn’t that far from the Emperor and Royal Guards. Guess it’s Vegemite sandwiches and filtered coffee for lunches this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Hoping this sells well and opens the door to Sideshow doing other creatures/aliens. I want a 1/6 wampa.

Yes definitely. I mostly collect the aliens... mostly. ...so, I guess that 2/3 of my SW collection is SSC. One of my favorites is Momaw Nadon and I just love that SSC would do a niche figure like him. I’d love if they did Ponds Baba for instance. But till then I am making a custom based on a repainted Hasbro sculpt. It’s actually very accurate. I used the jacket too and made it smaller. Added some hair and mixed with some SSC Luke stuff. Still need some new boots and a gun belt. Hope you guys find him acceptable for display...
0cfa3ecf508974ac2d58a67c51a7a8ac.jpg

(Went with the fingered hands as I guess RO made that canon...)

As much as people HATE on Sideshow and love only Hot Toys...this site needs to change it's name!!! LOL :rotfl

As much as people HATE on Sideshow and love only Hot Toys...this site needs to change it's name!!! LOL :rotfl

Yes definitely. I mostly collect the aliens... mostly. ...so, I guess that 2/3 of my SW collection is SSC. One of my favorites is Momaw Nadon and I just love that SSC would do a niche figure like him. I’d love if they did Ponds Baba for instance. But till then I am making a custom based on a repainted Hasbro sculpt. It’s actually very accurate. I used the jacket too and made it smaller. Added some hair and mixed with some SSC Luke stuff. Still need some new boots and a gun belt. Hope you guys find him acceptable for display...
0cfa3ecf508974ac2d58a67c51a7a8ac.jpg

(Went with the fingered hands as I guess RO made that canon...)

Yeah, I agree, Slikk - even though the body was terrible and the clothes were tailored to that terrible body, Hasbro did a pretty nice job with some of the details of their Walrusman. I had fun rebooting him as a custom figure (though the pleather on my jacket had decayed, so had to repaint it - total pain - and it still needs one more coat:gah:,) and would likely dump this guy in with a Jabba dio if HT or SSC were to do him.

Why SSC never did Walrusmman after doing Greedo and Hammerhead is one of the enduring mysteries.:slap

REALLY hope SSC will do some Jabba's aliens to go with their new Jabba, and also return to the cantina.:pray:

ZzboLqR.jpg

6jozA0p.jpg

Someone else is about to release something similar That’s why SS released this PO all of a sudden and wants you to buy it right the hell now

I'd definitely be interested in seeing HT's take on Jabba, especially since I already have the original SS. While I think SS has done a relatively decent job with most of their SW aliens, if HT starts producing aliens I'll probably upgrade. However, with SS charging $800 for Jabba, I'd expect HT to clock in around $950.

I am so weak. The more ei look at it, the more I want the new one.

I dunno man, I have original Jabba and I'm sitting tight on this one. It has nothing to do with money, because I can afford it, and I think the swap out pieces are pretty cool, I like that they went for it with an interesting idea, but honestly I don't think they will look convincing with the seam lines as far as what we're seeing in photos and video right now. It looks off. For people who are loving it, I think they really like the paint job and the idealized look of Jabba, which IT IS cool, especially if you don't have a Jabba, but as it stands, that head/face does not convince me no matter what pieces you swap to it. Again, it's cool and I like the idea, but the V1 Jabba holds the crown for me as Jabba himself, even if the paint job is lackluster and reminds most of us of the 3.75 scale ROTJ vintage all pale green turd green Jabba haha, we still have yet a v2 production paint job to compare it to, so we'll see when the V2 production piece comes around but even if the paintjob is incredible, will that face still be the best and most accurate Jabba face created so far? I don't think so. Maybe if they included a second head with no swappable pieces we could see how close it really comes. Just look back a few pages at the face comparison between the two versions and the original prop Jabba, the V2 Jabba looks way off in comparison to the V1. But again, if you're going to enjoy the fun of swapping pieces and a possible better paint job, then the accuracy may not be for you in the first place. Or if you're like some people who like to own all versions then I can see this being an easy pickup for sure also. But for me it comes down to... Is this figure the most faithful to what we know / love from the Star Wars Movies? If not, is it at least the best version of it to date? I don't care about all the extra stuff and gimmicks if one of those two questions can't be a yes. If the production piece drops and looks amazing, photos show how seamless the swappable parts are (I doubt this will be true), and we see some photos that really change my mind on how off his headsculpt looks from the movies, then I'll definitely buy it and retire the v1. But as of right now the v2 will definitely be the most fun if you're into "playing" with your collectibles, but that's all it has on the v1, it is less accurate to what we see in the movies, albeit a sacrifice made for the "fun factor" which will need to be justified by the buyer themselves based on what they're spending for it.

Well anyone that missed out on the V1 Jabba and wants it is getting an early Christmas...did not think I would see them going for under $200 but looks like that is where we are...unfortunately anyone that got one recently for the $350-$400 range that they WERE going for just got a lump of coal...

Yeah, I agree, Slikk - even though the body was terrible and the clothes were tailored to that terrible body, Hasbro did a pretty nice job with some of the details of their Walrusman. I had fun rebooting him as a custom figure (though the pleather on my jacket had decayed, so had to repaint it - total pain - and it still needs one more coat:gah:,) and would likely dump this guy in with a Jabba dio if HT or SSC were to do him.

Why SSC never did Walrusmman after doing Greedo and Hammerhead is one of the enduring mysteries.:slap

REALLY hope SSC will do some Jabba's aliens to go with their new Jabba, and also return to the cantina.:pray:

ZzboLqR.jpg

6jozA0p.jpg

That’s not the SS Greedo head, is it? Mine’s packed up right now.

Well anyone that missed out on the V1 Jabba and wants it is getting an early Christmas...did not think I would see them going for under $200 but looks like that is where we are...unfortunately anyone that got one recently for the $350-$400 range that they WERE going for just got a lump of coal...

Yeah, I'm hoping they go quite low because I'm buying an airbrush to take a shot at repainting my V1 Jabba and would love to have a cheap one to try it on. Would love to get one for close to $100 because shipping can be pretty expensive because he's so large.

If I can get the V2 Jabba for closer to $600 down the line, I'd probably grab that. Can never have too much Jabba.:lol

That’s not the SS Greedo head, is it? Mine’s packed up right now.

No it is a custom head. Everything except the jumpsuit is custom/not SSC.

So you don't have to unpack, this is the SSC Greedo:

5406114176_a0b74ded38_b.jpg

Yeah, I'm hoping they go quite low because I'm buying an airbrush to take a shot at repainting my V1 Jabba and would love to have a cheap one to try it on. Would love to get one for close to $100 because shipping can be pretty expensive because he's so large.

If I can get the V2 Jabba for closer to $600 down the line, I'd probably grab that. Can never have too much Jabba.:lol

No it is a custom head. Everything except the jumpsuit is custom/not SSC.

So you don't have to unpack, this is the SSC Greedo:

5406114176_a0b74ded38_b.jpg

Ah, yes. That ‘ol gem. Thanks for the info, sir!

I dunno man, I have original Jabba and I'm sitting tight on this one. It has nothing to do with money, because I can afford it, and I think the swap out pieces are pretty cool, I like that they went for it with an interesting idea, but honestly I don't think they will look convincing with the seam lines as far as what we're seeing in photos and video right now. It looks off. For people who are loving it, I think they really like the paint job and the idealized look of Jabba, which IT IS cool, especially if you don't have a Jabba, but as it stands, that head/face does not convince me no matter what pieces you swap to it. Again, it's cool and I like the idea, but the V1 Jabba holds the crown for me as Jabba himself, even if the paint job is lackluster and reminds most of us of the 3.75 scale ROTJ vintage all pale green turd green Jabba haha, we still have yet a v2 production paint job to compare it to, so we'll see when the V2 production piece comes around but even if the paintjob is incredible, will that face still be the best and most accurate Jabba face created so far? I don't think so. Maybe if they included a second head with no swappable pieces we could see how close it really comes. Just look back a few pages at the face comparison between the two versions and the original prop Jabba, the V2 Jabba looks way off in comparison to the V1. But again, if you're going to enjoy the fun of swapping pieces and a possible better paint job, then the accuracy may not be for you in the first place. Or if you're like some people who like to own all versions then I can see this being an easy pickup for sure also. But for me it comes down to... Is this figure the most faithful to what we know / love from the Star Wars Movies? If not, is it at least the best version of it to date? I don't care about all the extra stuff and gimmicks if one of those two questions can't be a yes. If the production piece drops and looks amazing, photos show how seamless the swappable parts are (I doubt this will be true), and we see some photos that really change my mind on how off his headsculpt looks from the movies, then I'll definitely buy it and retire the v1. But as of right now the v2 will definitely be the most fun if you're into "playing" with your collectibles, but that's all it has on the v1, it is less accurate to what we see in the movies, albeit a sacrifice made for the "fun factor" which will need to be justified by the buyer themselves based on what they're spending for it.

Thanks. I’m printing this post and hanging next to my screen.

Thanks. I’m printing this post and hanging next to my screen.
Lmao.

Well, as collectors all we have is time.. and each other... so I'm here for you man lolz

But yes, time will tell. Just don't get all trigger happy on me here, we all know that's a rookie mistake. Eye on the prize. At the end of the day who cares if Jabba's butthole lights up and shoots out fireworks? Which is the better figure and faithful to the screen. You could always get V1 repainted, as several have mentioned, some amazing talent out there that would do it for a reasonable price, so just hang in there my amigo. Time shall show us the way.

I still have the original jabba and it took me some time to finish the set. I got the throne about 4 years ago as of waiting for the right seller and price to come along luckily I got the throne. I don't remember how much I got it for but was happy to get jabba complete. I do have the exclusive of jabba the hutt and it still is the center piece of my collection and love it if I could find some one to give him the paint job he desires I would be all set. but I`m not to keen on this newer model how often would folks switch out the parts for the what first few weeks and then forgotten about until months later then back to forgotten about. I get it when you get something brand new you test it out for a while but when the ride is over back to look for something new to futz around with I guess that`s with every thing new figure play with it for month or so toss back in the toy box something new to play around with. this new jabba does look good but like every one else has said about the seams will they show or not time will tell.

ZzboLqR.jpg

6jozA0p.jpg

The pleather on mine is deteriorating too. Might need to paint it also. Those boots are great, do you know where you got them from? And the belt?
Your Greedo is perfect! That custom sculpt is great. I’ve been wanting to get Greedo for a long time, but he’s totally overpriced. Hoping for a rerelease or maybe even a HT version if he appears in Solo.
BTW I see that you went with the hoof like hands for Ponda. Like that :)

I still have the original jabba and it took me some time to finish the set. I got the throne about 4 years ago as of waiting for the right seller and price to come along luckily I got the throne. I don't remember how much I got it for but was happy to get jabba complete. I do have the exclusive of jabba the hutt and it still is the center piece of my collection and love it if I could find some one to give him the paint job he desires I would be all set. but I`m not to keen on this newer model how often would folks switch out the parts for the what first few weeks and then forgotten about until months later then back to forgotten about. I get it when you get something brand new you test it out for a while but when the ride is over back to look for something new to futz around with I guess that`s with every thing new figure play with it for month or so toss back in the toy box something new to play around with. this new jabba does look good but like every one else has said about the seams will they show or not time will tell.

This... :lecture

I generally don’t spend even a day swapping out parts. I pick the “look” I like, put the figure in a pose I like, then try not to ever mess with it again, for fear it’ll fall apart with too much handling. All the swap out stuff goes in a parts bin to be forgotten, and only found when I’m scrounging for a part to go with some kitbashed figure (then I suddenly remember it’s still there). It’s a cool idea for those that actually “play” with these things, I guess. I keep teetering on the fence with this thing. I’ve wanted Jabba and throne set-up for years... but that price! These companies are pricing all but rich celebrity collectors out.

Ah, yes. That ‘ol gem. Thanks for the info, sir!

The Sideshow Greedo has a nice detailed Rodian sculpt, it just doesn't look much like Greedo in ANH, even in color scheme.

I've been trying to cast my Greedo head in order to make a Beedo head without much success (you can see the slight sheen on the head - it needs a wipe.) I'm hoping HT will do a Greedo so my custom can become ROTJ Beedo.

The pleather on mine is deteriorating too. Might need to paint it also. Those boots are great, do you know where you got them from? And the belt?
Your Greedo is perfect! That custom sculpt is great. I’ve been wanting to get Greedo for a long time, but he’s totally overpriced. Hoping for a rerelease or maybe even a HT version if he appears in Solo.
BTW I see that you went with the hoof like hands for Ponda. Like that :)

Thanks. The boots are two different boot types (cheapo WWII boots - don't recall which ones) blended - there is a slight joint seam visible. Walrusman's boots are taller. I made them black only because the correct color - the reddish brown of his belt - looked odd.

The belts/holsters are all custom made except the WWII black waist belt. The pleather peeled and just left fabric - I have pleated "bumps" ready to glue on the jacket just before I paint it for the final time - final orange will be a little more muted.

I sold my SSC Greedo for about $400 if you can believe it. It just didn't really capture Greedo for me despite being a nice fig.

And yeah, the flippers/hoof hands are in the movie, and they worked well - the actor's hands could grab the gun through the soft rubber quite well. When they showed the severed arm with open flipper people started asking how an apparently rigid hoof could have held a pistol.:rotfl

Back