1/6 Sideshow 1:6 Indiana Jones - Temple of Doom

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just been playing with the new Indy head (bought as loose part for $45 from TA.) It's really pretty nice, but as is now well known, slightly undersized. Next to SSC Henry's jumbo melon (not pictured due to scale clash...,) it's like a pea. Just have to decide what outfit/gear I'm using - this is a basic unfutzed HT set-up.

For laughs, I'll post side-by-side pics with SSC German Indy which along with Henry and KOTCS Indy had the largest scale heads Sideshow ever did.

indy1_zpszvkcn1cq.png

It goes okay with these guys, but the old SSC heads are almost 1/5 scale and this new SSC head is maybe 1/6.5 (close to Medi's 1/7.) A somewhat surprising turnaround for Sideshow, formerly known for bobble heads.

indy2_zpslciba8rl.png

Toht was such a cool figure, the glasses suck though. Is that a reworked Belloq sculpt, or custom?

Toht was such a cool figure, the glasses suck though. Is that a reworked Belloq sculpt, or custom?

Toht has new glasses (some DID officer's I think) because yeah, the ones he came with were laughable. I actually have two Tohts to do the melty display - it's a great figure. Still have work to do on both - thinning glasses even more, some snow on the coat and a headpiece on chain for his Heil hand. A little too tanned but it sort of works for "flushed Toht" in the desert or sweating in the Raven bar.

And the Belloq is a custom. I may try to rework the original head at some point but it has only a passing likeness to Paul Freeman.

I want to buy Indy 's head and the Temple of Doom !! but I can not find
:pray:

It's kind of luck of the draw. You just have to check back frequently and be fast. It happens on all the in-demand fig parts. They list what's newly parted out on the home page.

Ok let's try this again. My photos yesterday were an embarrassment.

Weathered shirt, added real blood (my own) to the fabric on the back. Added sweat effect. Mike's holster and whip.

Attachments

• IMG_00000098.jpg
    IMG_00000098.jpg
    740.5 KB · Views: 264
  • IMG_00000099.jpg
    IMG_00000099.jpg
    595.8 KB · Views: 264
  • IMG_00000101.jpg
    IMG_00000101.jpg
    624.7 KB · Views: 270
  • IMG_00000103.jpg
    IMG_00000103.jpg
    753.9 KB · Views: 273
I'm noticing your camera has trouble focusing on the figure in certain shots (like in the last shot it looks like it's focused on the baseboard), figure might be too close for the camera or maybe something else is going on. Are these taken on your phone or a camera?

I'm noticing your camera has trouble focusing on the figure in certain shots (like in the last shot it looks like it's focused on the baseboard), figure might be too close for the camera or maybe something else is going on. Are these taken on your phone or a camera?

:lecture

Taking a step or two back is also good to get a nice overall look at the figure. Can't believe you used your own blood! :horror

Ah gotcha, you might be able to help it focus by tapping on the figure in the frame, I know that works on the iPhone.

Figure is looking really good.

I'm liking the SSC TOD Indy head, but the smallness issue is still apparent after repeat viewings. I know heads have been steadily shrinking, but this one seems to be a step beyond even the latest HT heads. In fact, the head is almost exactly the same size as the Hasbro Indy heads, which are on figures that stand 11 1/4" in boots.

I have him on an old necked Soldier Story body which were always a little short (with head and boots they'd land around 11 1/2") and with the HT ROTLA gear (which yes, was tailored to a muscle body) and the head looks a bit too small, though I'm happy that the HT fedora seems to work okay.

Bodies aside, some of the standard Indy gear like the SSC or HT jackets just seem a tad too big for this head. It's a bit sad to see near HT-quality apps, and a pretty decent and detailed HF sculpt from SSC that - of all things - is undersized. Even compared to "boyish" HT ANH Luke, Indy's head seems a bit undersized.

Just for laughs, here's a few pics with the "high water mark" :)lol) of the SSC bobble head era, KOTCS Indy - same company, eight years ago. This head is noticeably too big (by over 20%), but the TOD head to me is more than 10% too small.

indyhead1_zps0wd2ad49.png

indyhead2_zps59dfhr2m.png

Size issues aside, that's still a pretty strong old Indy sculpt in my opinion.

In fact it'd be kinda funny if the upcoming Indy 5 turns out so good that collectors suddenly all start wanting a KOTCS figure for the first time. :D

Size issues aside, that's still a pretty strong old Indy sculpt in my opinion.

In fact it'd be kinda funny if the upcoming Indy 5 turns out so good that collectors suddenly all start wanting a KOTCS figure for the first time. :D

Yeah, I like that sculpt too - it was one of the "new generation" old SSC heads where they had moved away from the orange pancake make-up apps to flesh colored plastic and more subtle apps. The eyes are pretty tiny on most of those heads, as is the fedora on this one, but it's nice.

Fortunately there's quite a lot of leeway in terms of our perception of head size (I guess real people's heads differ in size a lot too) on 1/6 figs, so the TOD head being undersize is not something that screams out at you on the shelf if it's spaced away a bit from older/larger head figures.

This TOD head seems to look about right at a 11 1/4" height in boots to top of hair, which is how I've got him, but I'll probably swap out the HT jacket for the SSC ones because it looks too big to my eye.

Back