1/6 Sideshow 1:6 Indiana Jones - Temple of Doom

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So this should have cost the same as Snake Plissken now? This one seems a little bit better.

You mean the figure from only a year ago from the same SSC cult classics line that came on almost the same body with an identical amount of stuff but included a leather jacket and (like Hoth figs) should have had the exact same paint apps quality as Indy and was seventy dollars less?

Umm... yeah.:lol

I love the headsculpt on this release (except the slight underscale thing) - there's a sense of "finally!" that SSC has landed a near-HT head - but everything else in this is a little middling for $230. Oversized hands, ghastly hairpiece gap, plastic boots, slightly undersized machete, odd soft sculpt all-plastic fedora, shirt decent but blousy, unweathered with little tailoring and lipstick-like stains on the back, whip with no wire, basic stand with no add-ons, decent pants but with weird squared-and-sewn tear. And no second headsculpt, no leather jacket, no extra feature like light-up stones or rope bridge part to elevate the release to mid $200's level.

Overall, a very solid release with some quite nice parts overall (belt and Sankaras also well done) that displays well - but yeah, $180 would have been a fairer price. It really is fairly equivalent to Snake from last year and SSC ups the price around $15-20 yearly for similar releases.

Yeah, the one that had drastically more simplistic paint apps and is from a license that has had how many 1/6 iterations of its main character? I'm guessing the license is a bit cheaper. Plus this one comes with all that extra hat!

Have you seen the prices on the other cult classic figures? This is the only good deal now, though Ash looks kind of awesome.

Yeah, the one that had drastically more simplistic paint apps and is from a license that has had how many 1/6 iterations of its main character? I'm guessing the license is a bit cheaper. Plus this one comes with all that extra hat!

Have you seen the prices on the other cult classic figures? This is the only good deal now, though Ash looks kind of awesome.

Yeah, but the point is, Snake SHOULD have had the same quality apps. These are all the same figure era, contemporaries, similar quality protos - it's not like it's from 3 years ago. It came out this time last year.:dunno

And license shimicense - I can't see how bean counters would think Ash would be a more desirable figure (low wattage TV series not withstanding) than Snake and they have an EIGHTY DOLLAR price difference - again, for basically the same fig with same amount of stuff from the same SSC fig series.

Sadly, I come from an era where this is a $150 figure. That's what I've paid in the last few years for superior SSC figures. I know there's been endless debates about the "now not so new" pricing, but I so rarely see the value and enjoyment in something that costs so much. It's not quite at "never" yet, but it's getting closer. That's why I say "sadly.":(

So what? He said he was very happy with the figure. People pay what they are willing to pay. I'm just happy someone else is as happy with this figure as I am....

There's an old saying - if people are willing to pay it, companies are willing to charge it.

Yep, so what. A basic SSC fig will be nearing $275 by end of next year (upcoming Dengar will be the first SSC fig to be in the $250+ range), and knocking on the door of $300 within two years. But so long as you're happy with the figure, it really doesn't matter what it costs.

I'm happy there are people that can afford to pay $230 for a quite basic Indy figure - I'm unhappy I'm not one of them.:lol

Sadly, I come from an era where this is a $150 figure. That's what I've paid in the last few years for superior SSC figures. I know there's been endless debates about the "now not so new" pricing, but I so rarely see the value and enjoyment in something that costs so much. It's not quite at "never" yet, but it's getting closer.

Sideshow's human figures just seem overpriced these days compared with other companies. This, Luke X-Wing, they're clearly more expensive than similar offerings from other companies. Best you can hope for is a discount that makes it palatable. I do know if this guy had the Snake paint job I wouldn't be going near it even if it were $120. Everyone has a number though, and right now if I could get it for around $190-$200 shipped I'd probably pick it up to at least check out.

Sideshow's human figures just seem overpriced these days compared with other companies. This, Luke X-Wing, they're clearly more expensive than similar offerings from other companies. Best you can hope for is a discount that makes it palatable. I do know if this guy had the Snake paint job I wouldn't be going near it even if it were $120. Everyone has a number though, and right now if I could get it for around $190-$200 shipped I'd probably pick it up to at least check out.

Yeah, $180 would be probably my "pull the trigger" price. It's possible - Indy doesn't sell like SW or Marvel and does stick around more, but SSc probably knows that and makes less of the Indy figs. And this Indy actually has a pretty great sculpt/paint - kind of a first for a 1/6 Indy - so will sell out sooner than older Indy figs.

Without that lower price, I go into Jawa mode - scavenging the best parts to replicate the figure for much less (just X-Wing suit/helmet to make a cheaper Luke X, just Indy head to make a cheaper Indy.) It's time consuming but cash saving.:lecture:lol

Unless I pull the trigger, maybe as a "key parts only" buyer I should just stay out of these threads. I didn't pay the price of admission and maybe have no right to comment - even on the price. The price is becoming an increasingly divisive issue in some threads - the have-figures and the have-not-figures.:lol

Thanks to those that enjoyed the photos :duff

Now to the price complaint. I hear you man. Been in this hobby for a long time and rising prices suck, but obviously companies are out to make a profit and we all know that. You can't expect SSC prices to stay put for any length of time, especially with how many new collectors are in the game. They will continue to rise and when you tap out, somebody else will be right there to take your place.

You can pay/not pay, or get an overpriced figure with a discount and just roll with it. Just depends on the individual and what they really want to add to the collection. I will say that this Indy is a nice figure (not perfect) overall and I'm happy with the price I paid. No way would I have paid SSC's asking price of $263 shipped in CA, but with the price I got from TA it was $47 less.

You can have this discussion in pretty much every thread on here, but what's the fun in that. For this Indy, I say pick one up at a discount and go to town, or just snag some loose parts on a breakdown. I don't see anybody else making a TOD Indy anytime soon, so jump on it while you can :wink1:

Thanks to those that enjoyed the photos :duff

Now to the price complaint. I hear you man. Been in this hobby for a long time and rising prices suck, but obviously companies are out to make a profit and we all know that. You can't expect SSC prices to stay put for any length of time, especially with how many new collectors are in the game. They will continue to rise and when you tap out, somebody else will be right there to take your place.

You can pay/not pay, or get an overpriced figure with a discount and just roll with it. Just depends on the individual and what they really want to add to the collection. I will say that this Indy is a nice figure (not perfect) overall and I'm happy with the price I paid. No way would I have paid SSC's asking price of $263 shipped in CA, but with the price I got from TA it was $47 less.

You can have this discussion in pretty much every thread on here, but what's the fun in that. For this Indy, I say pick one up at a discount and go to town, or just snag some loose parts on a breakdown. I don't see anybody else making a TOD Indy anytime soon, so jump on it while you can :wink1:

This is a buzzkill. But so true.

As current pricing goes, I don't jump on figures as they are released, but I guess it comes down to your love of the character.And if that reflects the listed price, sometimes it is instinctive to hit the BIN, but at the same time can be a lingering decision for the next figure. And there's always a next figure....:wink1:

I have invested a lot on this guy finally...

Indiana Jones has always been a must-have figure for me, but:

- the DX05 out of the box look dissapointed me, especially the sculpt, whip, jacket, body
- some customs were really nice, but the headsculpts of most of them, for me, made them very expensive and you don't get a 100% finished figure yet
- exceptions were:
· the Kato clothes and
· MJ Choi sculpt... even if this one looked a bit oversized, I think it's the best one (Last Crusade looks)

But with Kato and Choi, you are talking of a 1,000 USD figure.

Now I have jumped in. I'm going for a Raiders look with:

- Sideshow Indy Temple of Doom base (gonna be using the headsculpt, body, shirt, trousers, shoes, whip, gun, belt, holster and bag)
- added Kato jacket
- added Hot Toys fedora and gloved hands

So that's it. I jumped in, on a terribly expensive budget of aprox. 470 EUR.

It's gonna be my most expensive figure. If I am not satisfied I will sell TOD Indy and the parts... eager to see all of it together in a couple months time.

Unless I pull the trigger, maybe as a "key parts only" buyer I should just stay out of these threads. I didn't pay the price of admission and maybe have no right to comment - even on the price. The price is becoming an increasingly divisive issue in some threads - the have-figures and the have-not-figures.:lol
Actually, I do think you have the right to comment, I might have had a knee-jerk reaction earlier. Like you, there are a lot of figure that I simply can't justify the price for.
It really is too bad that the industry/hobby is going where it's going. On one side, we're getting excellent figures of characters that we've always wanted, and a high-quality. On the other side, the prices are getting to a point where it's not feasible, or enjoyable.
I think I'm definitely one of the lucky ones, where there really aren't very many more figures that I can even think of wanting (even if they make them), so I like to think that I'm almost done.
Probably wishful thinking...

Oh well... and I have to say, like others, for some reason the hat photographs really big. In hand, it just doesn't look that big. Here's mine with the HT jacket...Definitely not perfect, but I'm pretty happy with him...
P3190550.JPG

Attachments

• P3190550.JPG
    P3190550.JPG
    346 KB · Views: 268
Talibane, did'nt you mention you picked up a indy head off TA. What you got in mind? Was it just the head or hair and fedora parts too?

Just the head and hair. It's just that I have a few of pretty much every Indy clothes/accessories ever made in 1/6 by companies, so really had no need for yet another round of Indy stuff (and the machete is a bit off so I passed on it.) Still mulling it - I had planned to do a ROTLA fight scene Indy. Maybe see if I can get the "cat scratches" off his face.:lol

As current pricing goes, I don't jump on figures as they are released, but I guess it comes down to your love of the character.And if that reflects the listed price, sometimes it is instinctive to hit the BIN, but at the same time can be a lingering decision for the next figure. And there's always a next figure....:wink1:

The problem is, I really love Indy (I have a LOT of 1/6 Indy stuff) - and yeah, now that Indy 5 has been officially announced with HF in some role (also with the director AND writer of KOTCS - Yaaaay!:lol) the possibility of a "definitive" 1/6 Indy in the next few years emerges.:gah:

Actually, I do think you have the right to comment, I might have had a knee-jerk reaction earlier. Like you, there are a lot of figure that I simply can't justify the price for.
It really is too bad that the industry/hobby is going where it's going. On one side, we're getting excellent figures of characters that we've always wanted, and a high-quality. On the other side, the prices are getting to a point where it's not feasible, or enjoyable.
I think I'm definitely one of the lucky ones, where there really aren't very many more figures that I can even think of wanting (even if they make them), so I like to think that I'm almost done.
Probably wishful thinking...

There was a time when $1000 worth of figs would almost totally fill a Detolf. Nowadays, it's more like one Detolf shelf.

And while yes, headsculpts (HT mostly - maybe SSC going forward) are night-and-day superior to what they were 7-10 years ago, and bodies have made a huge leap forward (though quality bodies arguably are cheaper and more available now, so that moots that point) I wouldn't say the same can be said for clothing, weapons and accessories - which can be better but usually are about the same (e.g. - the SSC KOTCS pants to me look a bit better than the new TOD ones.) So for me, the tripling or quadrupling of price is really only centered on the heads, which yes, is a huge benefit.

Oh well... and I have to say, like others, for some reason the hat photographs really big. In hand, it just doesn't look that big. Here's mine with the HT jacket...Definitely not perfect, but I'm pretty happy with him...
View attachment 253432

That actually looks pretty good but I think that if you're going to stay with the jacket look, a non-muscle body might be a better way to go. Because of scale issues, he balloons a bit with the muscle body under the jacket and then there's the slightly undersized head.

The hat in pics does look a bit big, but the thing that bugs me about it is the soft sculpt and sculpted band - HT did a great job with the texture and the cloth ribbon/band on theirs, really looking like a shrunken hat even if the shape was slightly off - SSC's effort reminds me of an upgrade to the Hasbro Indy fedora (which wasn't a terrible sculpt.)

I'm not a big Indy fan, but this looks like a really nice figure.
Funny how Sideshow makes great Indy sculpts, but can't really nail Han. Of course, HT can't nail either one...

Back