Sideshow 1/6 C-3PO

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tuskens came up on eBay again last fall for just under $170 in small quantity - I had to jump on a second one because... Well, not paying $400.

2171_press06.jpg

Height here looks about where Taito and Tama line up.

To me it seems the girth of SS R2 is the problem, not the height. He seems a bit slim.

I agree with the slim vs height comment more than anything. But I also think C3PO is dug in a bit in the sand, as well as the angle helps R2 look taller.

Girth to height ratio on SS R2 match up with screen captures I made of ESB last year, so it's probably imagination/photography making him appear too thin.

Showing 2 left shoulder guard.

That's the only way to display the arm when it's removed.

At this point I'm going to side on the way of a picking a nit. Both the R2 and C3PO look excellent. Together they look great and should do nicely on a shelf together. SS deserves a lot of credit for these two.

Ideally I would like to see R2 wider and bigger....but, oh well.

Yes, I agree, as I said, looks like girth is more a problem than height. Those comps are so close -- if Daniels had his head up a bit and leans back a bit like the SS one I think the height diff would be negligible.

But the width or girth is definitely off. SS R2 needs to be wider in that pic. But again, in person, with the HT guys I have I don't see as bad a scale problem. Maybe when I get the SS 3PO it will become more apparent.

But how did we get from the Taito to the actual R2? Taito looks smallish when compared to that picture too... granted less so than the SS. But I wouldn't say the Taito is perfect scale.

Back to Taito... if you look at the feet, the Taito is missing or has foreshortened the very bottom layer of the foot (part with the dashes) which is the 1/16" it's missing height-wise. The Taitio's feet are another of its inaccurracies.

Overall it looks about right to me though, certainly way closer than the SSC R2. Pity it has such a shallow and somewhat inaccurate sculpt - but hey, it's a clock.:lol

3po2_zpsaouyzkrb.png

Not having mine in hand yet, should be next week, the only complaint I'll make is that lame base. Did they spend the design budget on the removable arm?

My only complaint with SS R2 is the blue paint used. I think it should at least have had a slight gloss if they couldn't reproduce the metallic blue paint (although I don't know why not I painted models with this paint 30 years ago.)

R2D2_MCH-IA-324_R_8x10.jpg

My only complaint with SS R2 is the blue paint used. I think it should at least have had a slight gloss if they couldn't reproduce the metallic blue paint (although I don't know why not I painted models with this paint 30 years ago.)

View attachment 235719

Put some "Future" on a Q-tip and coat the blue parts (might want to mask them off, though). Should give a nice, self-leveling sheen.

Girth to height ratio on SS R2 match up with screen captures I made of ESB last year, so it's probably imagination/photography making him appear too thin.

That's the only way to display the arm when it's removed.

The sad thing is: I'd never have noticed......and yeah, weird. overall, its cool, but come one, sideshow? Overall, very happy with this one. And glad I have a Tusken - probably my fav Sideshow piece

Put some "Future" on a Q-tip and coat the blue parts (might want to mask them off, though). Should give a nice, self-leveling sheen.

Tell me more of this "future" you speak of. (I did Google it first, but it's a tough term to get the appropriate results on)

*EDIT* Found it, thanks for the tip!

Tell me more of this "future" you speak of. (I did Google it first, but it's a tough term to get the appropriate results on)

*EDIT* Found it, thanks for the tip!

Sorry, SC Johnson has given it some name changes over time, but this is it:

k2-_a5fd98d9-48ce-488b-8f76-8201f40d5276.v1.jpg-27243801f5e131fc5f7ef91da41867a6ae0fdc3f-optim-450x450.jpg

It is an acrylic clearcoat that self levels and is easy to clean up if you make a mistake. It is a long-standing trick in the scale modeling world (coating canopies for clarity, protective coat for decals, etc). This is the stuff people used on their SS Stormtrooper armor to turn the matte finish the proper gloss.

Back