Sideshow 1/6 Beetlejuice

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just wish SS would make better decisions which would be profitable for them and good for us but they continue to make odd choices and play catch up for the most part with their 1/6 offerings. I do applaud them for the touch light up feature on C3P0 and R2 though. Great stuff there.

I'm all for modifying a figure, but when the figure starts at $240+ and I HAVE to modify it for it to look decent. Well...the fun of tinkering with the toy gets lost. I wanted to like this figure but I'm not buying until it's discounted. I don't like the prices of these things, but I do understand that's the market today. However, if that's the market then you can bet I'm going to critique every figure I consider buying more than before.

Heres a simple fix....
1. Fix the sculpt , simple and excellent fix pics on this forum already.
2. Add a second set of clothing (like Police joker) add the Maitlin plaid shirt outfit or wedding attire.
3. Add deceased Handbook, snakes, and zag nut bar.
4. Include gravestone.

Instant 240 value....

The other side is that of perceived value, or what you get for the price. With a premium price, premium quality is expected, even demanded by the customer. Take my previous example of Big Chiefs 1st Doctor. While there may be some issues where he doesn't match up with a top of the line Hot Toys figure, he includes a ton of accessories and clothing, everything you could ask for really, and the perceived value is pretty good. With this Sideshow BJ, the expression, included accessories, expensive add on accessory and SSs iffy production paint aps in the past... the perceived value here for $240+ is in the crapper. It may be the worst value of any 1/6 figure to date, I can't think of any worse offenders. I love this character but there's just too much other 1/6 product that's a much better value (and better quality) competing for our money.

Luke xwing ranks up there.

Their Creative Team, right or wrong (I say wrong, but that's my opinion), consider themselves more as "artists" than product developers. That is a base disconnect that has been an issue since the company has been in existence. And unless that aspect of their Creative Team changes, they'll never be like other companies

It's interesting though that their business is so strong. Usually with "artists" you don't get the savvy business model with it. They're so dominant in this hobby. Every new trend I read about in e-commerce, I already see Sideshow doing it, so with such a "progressive" company, it seems strange that they wouldn't go to their artists and say "Hey, we can make a whole lot more money if you change this. . . .". I'd imagine the bean-counters over there rip their hair out, because the artists run the show, and refuse to change.

While I agree that the artistic orientation of SSC has been detrimental to its economic success in some instances (thinking of some baffling decisions regarding the GI Joe line), you can't directly attribute the bad production quality of their products to that. Those are both significant issues, though. And with Beetlejuice, I agree that this is a very niche release. You're not going to move 5,000+ figures of this character at $200+, even if Hot Toys put it out. It would be in the same boat that the Crow was in. But I don't fault SSC's decision to pursue this license. I'm sure it is dirt cheap to acquire, and it fills a niche that Hot Toys doesn't want to touch. So, I could see them selling 2-3,000 of them, if the quality were up to par. Which it isn't, unfortunately. So they'll probably be lucky to sell half that without resorting to insane clearance sales and offloading their surplus to secondary retailers at a loss.

Re: 1/6 SSC Beetlejuice figure

Are artists really that hard to find for sideshow to hire? I don't understand why any of us can commission a great figure and with the amount of quality custom figure artists that are out there that I'm sure would much rather be making the money sideshow will pay them for a quality product don't get hired. I've seen some really nice custom Beetlejuice figures before,so what's the problem sideshow? Are you even ever gonna address the community of collectors that are pissed off about the way you've dropped the ball this and numerous times before? Probably not,right?

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk

SSC has some of the very best artists in the business, in terms of technical skill. I would say their batting average with capturing likeness is better than Hot Toys. The problem on the artistic side, as I see it, are distinct from that. For example, a decision to give Beetlejuice a dumbfounded (?) kind of look, instead of one more associated with the character.

Their hair is probably sculpted not rooted so I doubt they could rip it out....

:)

Sideshow usually uses a 2nd piece for the hair with something like t his... so I'd bet that the majority of the hair will be removable. But it's possible there will be some roots that are part of the main sculpt that would either have to be removed or blended into the hair.

There's virtually no accessory appropriate for this particular scene/outfit. Maybe a handful of snakes but not much else. I think a lot of us would just be happier with tweaks to the sculpt and the tomb included. There's no reason it shouldn't be, outside of milking customers. Sadly I would have liked this in my collection.

Last edited:

$150 with the headstone sounds fair maybe $175 tops

I agree that I've seen great work from sideshow and their artists,but it makes me wonder how such a piece of crap got the green light when i know better custom figure artists out there that would never accept that as a finished product on commission or for their own pride in work. So whatever ppl who where on this project i think need to be let go from the company.

Sideshow usually uses a 2nd piece for the hair with something like t his... so I'd bet that the majority of the hair will be removable. But it's possible there will be some roots that are part of the main sculpt that would either have to be removed or blended into the hair.

Ha just being sarcastic concerning the "bean-counters" pulling their hair out

And if you needed any sort of confirmation about how ridiculous the price on Beetlejuice is... just compare him to the new Hot Toys Batman Vs Superman figures. Batman is fully loaded and $5 less, Superman while not coming with a ton of stuff still has more and is $30 less.

If I ever buy this figure it will not be from Sideshow, I'll wait for a it to be around $150 for a regular or just never own it.

Yep; with a large base, LED eyes a ton of armor and actual accessories :lol

Although to be fair, BJ does have 4 more hands... so it's got that going for it :lol

Back