Should Hot Toys re-release Preds? Yes or No? Opinions?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
NECA doesnt really make kids toys though. I agree that they usually suck when it comes to paint, but all their figures are intended for Adults.....

It looks great, and I might even buy it if the paint apps don't look like they were finger-painted on by some blind kid chained to a milk crate and fed cockroaches in a damp, humid and dark Hong Kong sweatshop. But that said, there's a considerable difference between a company that pumps out millions of figures on the cheap, to mass markets (focusing on kids), and a collectible company that meticulously makes high-end collectibles, from body to paint, directly aimed at the adult small collectible community.

True, true. Well, I hope NECA can get their consistency down at this point. Price 'em higher, but as long as the quality screams "buy me", it wouldn't kill them to pop out a piece like the P1 a little more often. Guess it comes down to how this one does. And, ultimately, how their third series of 7" figures looks. Their sculptor says the company has moved on to a new factory, so if they put their money where their mouth is, things could finally change.

Anyhow... back on discussion, as it's been said before, re-releasing Preds would be a total business-killer for HT. No matter the reason, if you're new to the line or you just want an upgrade to a character you may already own, it won't happen. Still doesn't mean I wouldn't love it if it did. Hell, I'd sell my AVP Preds in a heartbeat to see them tackle those guys with the experience they have now. And even more so, the P2.

@CelticP: Eh, once you hit 13 or 14 (despite the 17+ note), NECA's primarily what you'll use to get into collecting.

Hey! NECA has been great company for producing good figures for price. Sure they are nothing in comparison to Hot Toys, but what do you expect for $50? I think some of you are too hard on them. And their paint apps hardly look like they were done by kids. Give them some credit.

Onto the topic, let me rephrase my opinion. I think HT should release upgraded figures from their previous lines, not re-release as everyone has mentioned. Besides the Endo, I don't have anything I want from HT's previously released figures, thankfully.

Last edited:
upgrade...re-release, basically the same thing....if they put out a figure that is already out they are re-releasing the figure...regardless if they make changes to it or not. BTW, I recently purchased the new Alien Predator 2 pack from TRU and I have to say the paint application is eh..... I guess for $25 I cant really complain, I knew what I was getting when I purchased them...but for things that go in my glass case they gotta be worth it and make me proud to own them. Nothing Ive ever purchased from neca has been on that level. IMHO. Hopefully the new 1/4 scale predator will prove me wrong about the company...because I am dieing to get one at this point from the pictures ive seen of it......

upgrade...re-release, basically the same thing....if they put out a figure that is already out they are re-releasing the figure...regardless if they make changes to it or not. BTW, I recently purchased the new Alien Predator 2 pack from TRU and I have to say the paint application is eh..... I guess for $25 I cant really complain, I knew what I was getting when I purchased them...but for things that go in my glass case they gotta be worth it and make me proud to own them. Nothing Ive ever purchased from neca has been on that level. IMHO. Hopefully the new 1/4 scale predator will prove me wrong about the company...because I am dieing to get one at this point from the pictures ive seen of it......

That's why I'm not holding out hope for the 1:4 scale Pred. If it turns out nice, I'll buy it. If it winds up looking like an 18" turd in fishnets, I'll laugh at all the fanboys who'll still claim it's superior and pass.

That's why I'm not holding out hope for the 1:4 scale Pred. If it turns out nice, I'll buy it. If it winds up looking like an 18" turd in fishnets, I'll laugh at all the fanboys who'll still claim it's superior and pass.

I was excited to see them release a big predator figure that was in my price range that was different than just the regular 12" pred figures in my collection. I am still under the belief that its not going to come out like everyone thinks and it will be on par with all the other neca so-so figures they have released year after year.

If it does happen to come out good however...I will be DIEING to see that Elder Predator 2 that I saw on a concept video from a show and pick him up in a heartbeat. I hope, Neca just takes there time on getting the quality right and not try to rush this.

...and I am totally off subject again, yeah

How bad can it get? I actually do not own any NECA figures...1:4 pred will be my first. I once had a 12"" Spawn from McF , wasn't that bad

You and me both. I'd be pretty bummed. It almost sounds too good to be true, and I'd love to have a NECA piece that looks awesome both up close and from afar. I actually have McF figures that satisfy that criteria, but the only NECA pieces are the two Aliens figures.

But yeah, back on topic. Heh, it's a good discussion though. Really gets me pumped for release because all the reviewers (myself included) will get to see and talk about the production of the figure (which we've gotten updates on from tankman himself) to the final version. It'll be explosive in April for sure, good or bad.

It looks great, and I might even buy it if the paint apps don't look like they were finger-painted on by some blind kid chained to a milk crate and fed cockroaches in a damp, humid and dark Hong Kong sweatshop.

this generalization simply because there are a few bad ones
7" had often bad paint i agree, logical in the size.
but 18" have mostly perfect paint.

So stop to tell tall stories

054892-1296154447.jpg

6fe717-1296154252.jpg

821a41-1296158983.jpg

d43028-1296156204.jpg

064e49-1296137356.jpg

a59977-1296154625.jpg

0c7834-1296154812.jpg

0090bc-1296155497.jpg

1963ef-1296156667.jpg

5fe07a-1296137873.jpg

Last edited:
I actually saw a semi normal post in another thread but still I don't think benefit of the doubt deserves to be given based on past behaviour.

Heh, heh... guess he made it past approval. In any case, those pics he posted did look pretty decent. Just saying, the Crow and Pinhead aren't bad.

But yeah, if he's Selectiv, get him out of here.

Honestly, some of those are good, Jason seems pretty good as does Leather-head. You can't go wrong with those for $40-$45. 7" do suffer bad paint apps as well as sculpts. I was so annoyed when the protos for T2 looked so good while the actual thing was bit off. McFarlane though gets them right, especially the 7" Endo.

Anyway, I think there would be no point in trying to justifying Neca here since majority is into high-end collectibles only.

I actually saw a semi normal post in another thread but still I don't think benefit of the doubt deserves to be given based on past behaviour.

I agree and we'll see.

Heh, heh... guess he made it past approval. In any case, those pics he posted did look pretty decent. Just saying, the Crow and Pinhead aren't bad.

But yeah, if he's Selectiv, get him out of here.

Just about anything looks good if you stick it in a dark closet, aim a Maglight at it from 3" away and take mood shots. In the first pic alone though, you can see the flesh tone slop on the neck of the mask and rolled-up sleeve of the shirt. The rest fall apart under close scrutiny. Selective's not smart enough to find good shots. But then, I guess if he could even afford the NECAs, he wouldn't have to steal everybody else's pics to prove a failed point. :lol

Sounds like all you guys saying "NO" are just concerned about resale value of your figures. Thats very selfish IMO. Hot Toys could do a much better job if they re-did some of the older Predators.

Why don't we get back onto the thread topic before this turns into Neca VS Hot Toys? Since they both cater to different audience and really there's no comparison between the two.:wink1:

Back