Shamu Eats Trainer!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I like your point about the cat scratching you. My coworker has been bitten by her cat twice. They were bad bites too, her hand was swollen likke twice its size. If the cat were an Orca she'd be lunch...

When I first read this thread I was wondering what the statistics are between owners being killed or brutally mauled by their pet dog versus Orcas attacking trainers. No one says that it happened because we shouldn't have big dogs as pets...

Seriously, did you actually read the article? One was a completely seperate incident where the person didn't even die. The second had nothing to do with the whale. Some dip____ stayed in the park after it closed and decided to go swimming in the tank and died of hypothermia. Unless you think the whale was devious enough to kill the guy then dry his clothes and put them outside the tank.

Yeah, from what I understand, the man was found draped over the whale's back. To me, that sounds like the whale was trying to keep him above water and from dying. I don't think Tilly the whale is a cold blooded killer, he's an animal doing what animals do.

You know Blackthorne, I have to say that as I have thought about it, the idea of a salt lake would be pretty cool. I don't think Sea World is a bad corporation and I think it would be really awesome if they were able to have a salt lake somewhere (or maybe even make one?) and then they could have boat tours or something where people could go out and whale watch. I don't know if its financially feasible, but maybe with some fiancial assistance.

I like that idea actually, that would be cool :cool: Not just for whales either

I went to Seaworld's water park Aquatica, a few years ago and had my back ripped open from a water jet on the river ride.
Do NOT get too close to the sides.

I like your point about the cat scratching you. My coworker has been bitten by her cat twice. They were bad bites too, her hand was swollen likke twice its size. If the cat were an Orca she'd be lunch...

When I first read this thread I was wondering what the statistics are between owners being killed or brutally mauled by their pet dog versus Orcas attacking trainers. No one says that it happened because we shouldn't have big dogs as pets...[/QUOTE]

Actually, there are some people who have tried to outlaw pit bulls, rotts and dobies around here. Toledo just got rid of their dog warden because of alot of reasons, but one being that he would target certain dogs, like the ones I listed, and automatically put them down if they were picked up or brought in to the pound. He said those dogs were only good for one thing. He refused to work with the rescue groups or the human society. They were automatically killed. Glad the bastard is gone.

That's horrible, I'm glad he was fired as well. The number of those dogs that attack people it probably like .1% if that.

Someone who is not capable of understanding cannot be expected to follow it, like the mentally impaired. You cannot expect them to follow the golden rule perfectly because they lack the mental capacity.

And it is asinine to hold oneself to a standard in dealing with non-rational beings that they themselves are incapable of honoring.

Incidentally, that absence of a rational faculty is why animals do not have rights. Rights are a concept that rational beings require for survival. Rational thought cannot serve the function it was intended for if it is subject to coercive influences; a rational mind must be free to act, and the observance of the right to do so is fundamental to one's existence as a rational being.

Blackthornone said:
ALL animals eat plants, and so those "deaths" are unavoidable. Herbivores eat plants directly, while carnivores eat plants indirectly, by eating the herbivores that ate the plants. All animal nutrition ultimately comes from the plant kingdom. According to electrical impulse stress tests done on plants, they like being eaten, even though they don't like being damaged for its own sake, for example they don't like being burned. There was a book I read about it called The Secret Life Of Plants, by Peter Thompkins and Christopher Bird.

If plant protein was universally superior to animal protein, evolution would never have opted for models that exclusively preferred meat.

Blackthornone said:
Plants don't have nervous systems, and because they are rooted to the ground, they have no sovereignty. Basically though, because animals are poor converters of plant protein into animal protein, when you eat animals, you actually are causing the deaths of MORE plants than if you ate the plants directly. So it is either cause the death of plants by eating them, or cause the death of even MORE plants, AND the animals by eating the animals. It is no contest. The vegetarian diet causes far less death and destruction in the world than does eating animals.

Avoiding death is not the purpose of life. Preserving the lives of the rest of the living world is not the purpose of any one individual organism's existence. Lowering the number of interspecies murder is not a biological necessity for human survival. The planet is not an organism, the individual lives occupying it are not cells in a larger collective entity, and aggregate benefits for the non-human portion of life on Earth are not necessarily benefits for human life.

What's more, a plant is just as much an individual life as any other organism. Whether it is sovereign (rationally independent) or not is irrelevant in light of the fact that the plant's purpose is to live. Every atom in it's configuration works to accomplish that end. Death is not the goal of any of it's processes, so if there are scientists out there trying to convince themselves that eating a vegetable is somehow more morally palatable than eating an animal---because the plant 'likes' it---someone is not being honest with their science.

Blackthornone said:
Deserving it and asking for it do not mean the EXACT same thing...

...Asking for something and deserving something are NOT the exact same thing, whether it be being killed, getting a raise, or being hurt or helped in any other way.

Are people who go jogging and get mauled by a puma asking to be mauled, or are they asking to go for a run? Are people who go hiking and get bit by a snake asking for a snakebite, or asking to enjoy a day on a mountain? Do surfers ask to get sharkbites?

Or because they were in the animals' territory, and not their own, do they deserve what they get? And by that reasoning (that humans do not belong where wild animals live) how does man have any justification for having ever left his cave?

Last edited:
There is no such thing as old age in nature.
My personal thoughts are: Humans are far less 'enlightened' than we like to believe.
The nature of the world is violence and yet we are surprised when we see acts of violence.
We can't have things both ways. It's an animal. On a bad day your cat scratches you, on an orca's bad day, you die.
Sorry the woman died, but she knew the risks and if it were possible to ask her, I seriously doubt she would want to punish the whale.

Yes.

Interactions between humans and animals are pretty much amoral. There is no common standard that they can co-exist by, and to expect either side to observe something comparable to a rule (beyond common courtesy) is a pipedream.

To blame the whale is wrong. To blame the human is wrong. It is sad that the woman died, and that's really all there is to say about it.

And it is asinine to hold oneself to a standard in dealing with non-rational beings that they themselves are incapable of honoring.

Incidentally, that absence of a rational faculty is why animals do not have rights. Rights are a concept that rational beings require for survival. Rational thought cannot serve the function it was intended for if it is subject to coercive influences; a rational mind must be free to act, and the observance of the right to do so is fundamental to one's existence as a rational being.

So to be consistent with this rationalization, the mentally retarded do not have rights according to you. Interesting....

If plant protein was universally superior to animal protein, evolution would never have opted for models that exclusively preferred meat.
Plant protein is superior in it's non toxicity, but not in the ease at which large amounts can be obtained. Carnivorous animals have the shortest life spans, like lions and tigers. Those are the animals that prefer flesh the most, and those are the mammals that die the soonest.
Combining the right amino acids into animal protein requires more intelligence than many species have.
There is less waste, and fewer toxins produced inside the body. Plant protein doesn't cause high amounts of uric acid in the body, which leads to kidney stones. Plant protein is also a lot lower in the amino acid methionine, which is highly sulfur forming, and thus is highly acid forming, and causes osteoporosis.

Avoiding death is not the purpose of life. Preserving the lives of the rest of the living world is not the purpose of any one individual organism's existence. Lowering the number of interspecies murder is not a biological necessity for human survival. The planet is not an organism, the individual lives occupying it are not cells in a larger collective entity, and aggregate benefits for the non-human portion of life on Earth are not necessarily benefits for human life.

What's more, a plant is just as much an individual life as any other organism. Whether it is sovereign (rationally independent) or not is irrelevant in light of the fact that the plant's purpose is to live. Every atom in it's configuration works to accomplish that end. Death is not the goal of any of it's processes, so if there are scientists out there trying to convince themselves that eating a vegetable is somehow more morally palatable than eating an animal---because the plant 'likes' it---someone is not being honest with their science.

ALL animal life MUST eat plants to survive. That is unavoidable. because it is unavoidable, it logically follows that if animal life is going to survive, certain plants MUST be eaten. Animal life and plant life exist in a symbiotic relationship. Animal exhalation provides the carbon dioxide that plants need, and plants provide the oxygen that animals need. Animals provide excrement as fertilizer, which is food for plants. Plants then provide food for the animals. Incidentally, there are a lot of plants that can provide food value without killing the plant, like fruit. There are some people who believe that a fruitarian diet is the most ethical for this reason.

"The planet is an organism, the individual lives occupying it are cells in a larger collective entity, and aggregate benefits for the non-human portion of life on Earth are necessarily benefits for human life"
FIXED

Are people who go jogging and get mauled by a puma asking to be mauled, or are they asking to go for a run? Are people who go hiking and get bit by a snake asking for a snakebite, or asking to enjoy a day on a mountain? Do surfers ask to get sharkbites?

Or because they were in the animals' territory, and not their own, do they deserve what they get? And by that reasoning (that humans do not belong where wild animals live) how does man have any justification for having ever left his cave?

Yes, people who jogging in a puma's territory are asking to be mauled.
People who go hiking and who aren't careful where they walk are asking for a snakebite. Do they DESERVE it? Ask the animal. After all, they are in the animal's territory. Animal's territory=animal's rules.

Yes, surfers who aren't careful ask to get shark bites. If they know there are sharks there, they are DEFINITELY asking to get bitten. Salt water is toxic to humans anyway. It belongs to the marine life. Human beings are guests in the ocean, and are not it's owners, unless you believe in the Sub Mariner....

boring-class.jpg

:mwaha :mwaha :mwaha

BTW The mentally retarded are capable of rational thought.

So to be consistent with this rationalization, the mentally retarded do not have rights according to you. Interesting....

It's not a rationalization. What do you think a right is? What gives rise to their existence and necessity? What basis in observable nature is there for claiming them?

The mentally retarded have the same rights as any other human. To the extent that they are impaired, they may not be able to fully exercise those rights, but they have them nonetheless, particularly since, as Agent0028 said, they are capable of rational thought (far more so than a chimp, or a dolphin, or any other perceptual level/non-conceptual consciousness).

Plant protein is superior in it's non toxicity, but not in the ease at which large amounts can be obtained. Carnivorous animals have the shortest life spans, like lions and tigers. Those are the animals that prefer flesh the most, and those are the mammals that die the soonest.
Combining the right amino acids into animal protein requires more intelligence than many species have.
There is less waste, and fewer toxins produced inside the body. Plant protein doesn't cause high amounts of uric acid in the body, which leads to kidney stones. Plant protein is also a lot lower in the amino acid methionine, which is highly sulfur forming, and thus is highly acid forming, and causes osteoporosis.

The potential is there for illness, but as you pointed out, protein from meat is more easily accessed in useful quantities. There is a price to be paid for it, but the survival value of a small amount of meat as opposed to an equal amount of plant is significantly higher. The argument can be made that its long-term survival value is less, except that humans are not carnivores, and don't eat meat exclusively, which is why the negative potential for meat consumption is not realized in 100% of people who eat it. For the most part, those negative effects manifest in those who eat too much meat. You would be hard pressed to claim that eating meat is a death sentence that could be avoided (or abated) by only eating vegetables. Aside from the inferior quantities of protein (which provides energy as much as it does structure) available from plant sustenance, there is also the issue of phosphorus (required for the construction of cell walls) and of iron, both of which can be obtained far more efficiently by eating meat.

But, per my original point, evolution would never have utilized meat eating if it did not have a good reason for it. Longevity is not the only value that life affords, and it can be argued that it is not even one of the highest values.

If you would like to bioengineer the perfect foods, where only the most specialized amino acids, vitamins, and minerals are imparted to the organism consuming them, all the more power to you. I think we went over that one before though. Why waste time with plants at all when supplements can do a better job?

ALL animal life MUST eat plants to survive. That is unavoidable. because it is unavoidable, it logically follows that if animal life is going to survive, certain plants MUST be eaten. Animal life and plant life exist in a symbiotic relationship. Animal exhalation provides the carbon dioxide that plants need, and plants provide the oxygen that animals need. Animals provide excrement as fertilizer, which is food for plants. Plants then provide food for the animals. Incidentally, there are a lot of plants that can provide food value without killing the plant, like fruit. There are some people who believe that a fruitarian diet is the most ethical for this reason.

What is your big hang up with killing? :dunno

This isn't Eden.

Blackthornone said:
"The planet is an organism, the individual lives occupying it are cells in a larger collective entity, and aggregate benefits for the non-human portion of life on Earth are necessarily benefits for human life"
FIXED

The planet is a rock. It was once liquid, and now it is cooling. This is pure mechanical causation. It is not teleological. Do you know the difference? It is what separates biological action from non-biological action. Mechanical causation involves a prior event causing a future event. Teleological causation involves a future event (survival) causing present action; it is goal-directed, and is only present in living entities.

Every organism on this planet is an individual, discrete entity. Each one arose because the conditions for their survival were already present on the planet. Plants did not develop for the sake of animals, and animals did not devlop for the sake of plants. If either had an effect on the development of the other, it was a coincidence (fortuitous as it may have proven). Any one of them could be removed from their ecosystems and supported without their natural surroundings, and the potential is there for optimization beyond what the planet itself is capable of providing.

The existence of the Earth is not dependent upon any of it's parts, and the parts only need the Earth for the materials and conditions required to live (materials and conditions which can be manufactured, duplicated or acquired elsewhere).

Yes, people who jogging in a puma's territory are asking to be mauled.
People who go hiking and who aren't careful where they walk are asking for a snakebite. Do they DESERVE it? Ask the animal. After all, they are in the animal's territory. Animal's territory=animal's rules.

Yes, surfers who aren't careful ask to get shark bites. If they know there are sharks there, they are DEFINITELY asking to get bitten. Salt water is toxic to humans anyway. It belongs to the marine life. Human beings are guests in the ocean, and are not it's owners, unless you believe in the Sub Mariner....

The sharks are the owners? Supposing that the surfer has armed himself, and drops a .45 caliber armor piercing slug in the shark's brainpan when it makes its presence known. Who owns the sea now?

And is the surfer still asking for it? Or has he proven that it is not at all what he was asking for? Because when the surfer lives by the animal's rules, but bests the animal, can the animal really still claim it as his territory?

Do you think man ever had a right to leave the cave? Because at one point, the whole planet was the territory of dominant predators who were not human. Shouldn't we have contented ourselves with scrambling around to eke out simple vegetarian lives that never appropriated the ken of they who were here first? Shouldn't we have accepted the natural order of things, which designated us primarily as food? Who were we to make the planet safe for our own at the expense of those who were already thriving?

You seem to be saying that if man competes with animal and wins, then man must bear a moral stigma. But if man competes with animal and loses, then man still bears responsibility. You can't have it both ways without advocating a double standard, which is hypocritical as hell, and which invalidates the alleged logic of your position. It's a contradiction on its face.

It's not a rationalization. What do you think a right is? What gives rise to their existence and necessity? What basis in observable nature is there for claiming them?

The mentally retarded have the same rights as any other human. To the extent that they are impaired, they may not be able to fully exercise those rights, but they have them nonetheless, particularly since, as Agent0028 said, they are capable of rational thought (far more so than a chimp, or a dolphin, or any other perceptual level/non-conceptual consciousness).

There are some dogs that are smarter than some people. I had a Border Collie once who was smarter than some people.
A double standard indicates a lack of real principles.

What is your big hang up with killing? :dunno

This isn't Eden.

The planet is a rock. It was once liquid, and now it is cooling. This is pure mechanical causation. It is not teleological. Do you know the difference? It is what separates biological action from non-biological action. Mechanical causation involves a prior event causing a future event. Teleological causation involves a future event (survival) causing present action; it is goal-directed, and is only present in living entities.

Every organism on this planet is an individual, discrete entity. Each one arose because the conditions for their survival were already present on the planet. Plants did not develop for the sake of animals, and animals did not devlop for the sake of plants. If either had an effect on the development of the other, it was a coincidence (fortuitous as it may have proven). Any one of them could be removed from their ecosystems and supported without their natural surroundings, and the potential is there for optimization beyond what the planet itself is capable of providing.

The existence of the Earth is not dependent upon any of it's parts, and the parts only need the Earth for the materials and conditions required to live (materials and conditions which can be manufactured, duplicated or acquired elsewhere).

Killing is beneath a higher organism. Rising above killing is what makes any being superior. Not killing is more compassionate, and needless killing is savage and barbaric. Killing for the taste of flesh is to lower oneself to barbarism.

The planet is the human life support system. It is the human home. Our ultimate quality of life is directly determined by the quality of the ecosystem. Sure, if species die off, the planet will continue to exist, and if humans build too many skyscrapers so that there isn't a high enough plant life to animal life ratio, then there won't be the optimum amount of oxygen to foster the highest inherent quality of life, and so where will human beings be then? They would have a lower quality of life, or none at all. If you change one thing in nature, because all things are connected, you change human life, too. When you threaten animal life, because they play an important role in maintaining the ecosystem, you threaten human life, too.

The sharks are the owners? Supposing that the surfer has armed himself, and drops a .45 caliber armor piercing slug in the shark's brainpan when it makes its presence known. Who owns the sea now?

And is the surfer still asking for it? Or has he proven that it is not at all what he was asking for? Because when the surfer lives by the animal's rules, but bests the animal, can the animal really still claim it as his territory?

Do you think man ever had a right to leave the cave? Because at one point, the whole planet was the territory of dominant predators who were not human. Shouldn't we have contented ourselves with scrambling around to eke out simple vegetarian lives that never appropriated the ken of they who were here first? Shouldn't we have accepted the natural order of things, which designated us primarily as food? Who were we to make the planet safe for our own at the expense of those who were already thriving?

You seem to be saying that if man competes with animal and wins, then man must bear a moral stigma. But if man competes with animal and loses, then man still bears responsibility. You can't have it both ways without advocating a double standard, which is hypocritical as hell, and which invalidates the alleged logic of your position. It's a contradiction on its face.

The sharks are the owners. All of the fish are the owners. Sure, a man can kill a fish with a gun, but that just means he has killed the fish. He has dominated a species IN the ocean, but he does not really own it. To truly own something, one must be one with it. One must be able to live in it. Human beings cannot drink salt water for long, and they die of scurvy without vitamin C, from plants. Because of this, man will never be one with the ocean. He will die of thirst or scurvy first.

Frankly, I think that man has no business being in the ocean, anyway, and if man gets killed by a fish in the ocean, or gets caught in a storm at sea and dies, it is his own damn fault, because it was entirely preventable, and the only reason why he was at sea was to kill fish or to steal land or resources from other lands, like the English, the Spanish, the Vikings, the French, ect. But I digress.
The surfer cannot really best the fish in the sea, because the fish will always live better in the sea than man, and being better able to live somewhere on a constant basis long term is the ultimate measure of success at mastering that environment.

First of all, man did not come from the cave. man came from Africa, where it was warm, and where it wasn't necessary to live in caves, and frankly, there weren't many caves to begin with. Man migrated North East, following the Nile river and the Red Sea into Central Asia, and walked to the rest of the world, including North America and South America,and after 20,000 years in each area of the world, biologically and physiologically adapted to those areas of the world so that man could most efficiently live in those areas, thus establishing all of the races of human beings we know today. Originally all human beings were black, and they didn't live in caves. True, caves were preferred in colder climates such as Europe and Asia, where more advanced clothing and other technologies were developed in order to better handle the survival challenges of living in those climates.

So, did man have a right to leave the cave, which he settled in AFTER he had left Africa, because of the drought brought on by the Ice Age? Well, he had to, in order to forage for food or to hunt. When man learned to farm, he established civilization, which gave rise to all of the great artistic, architectural, and technological advancements in the history of the species. If human beings were only still hunting for food, and living mostly on meat, you could forget about all of the great art and literature we know today, as well as all of the rest of man's great achievements beyond simple survival. It is farming plants that made all of civilization possible. A more vegetarian diet is what helped mankind to ascend to the really great heights it knows today. :)

Human beings asserting dominion over the Earth is about stewardship and leadership.The best leaders should always be the ones with the most influence, IMO.

As far as man competing with animal, if he wants to be seen as a man, and not just another animal, he must be held to a higher ethical or moral standard, otherwise, he is just an animal.
Because man is more intelligent than animals, he always must bear the most responsibility in his interactions with them. Man knows that animals will always act like animals, but man has more choice as to how he will act, and because man has more choice, he has more responsibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back