Shamu Eats Trainer!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bamboota

Super Freak
Reaction score
https://www.latimes.com/news/nation...orlando-shamu-injury-20100224,0,5560011.story

https://abcnews.go.com/GMA/AmazingA...ner-sea-worlds-shamu-stadium/story?id=9932526

A female trainer was killed by a 12,000 pound killer whale at SeaWorld's Shamu Stadium in Orlando, Fla., according to police and local media.
Trainers at SeaWorld San Diego put a small camera on the famous killer whale.

Eyewitnesses told ABC News affiliate WFTV the trainer was pulled into the tank at Shamu Stadium sometime after 2:00 p.m.

The whale responsible for the attack is a bull, or male, named Tilikum. He has lived at the park since 1992, and is one of eight killer whales there.

"Currently deputies with the full cooperation of SeaWorld have secured the scene and Homicide Detectives have been requested to respond and conduct a death investigation follow-up, along with our Forensics Unit," said Capt. Angelo Nieves of the Orange County Sheriff's Office in a statement.

One witness, park visitor Victoria Biniak, told WFTV that the trainer was just introduced the whale during a live public show at the stadium.

Soon after, Biniak said, the whale came up from the water and grabbed the woman.

"He was thrashing her around pretty good. It was violent,'" Biniak said.

The whale "took off really fast in the tank, and then he came back, shot up in the air, grabbed the trainer by the waist and started thrashing around, and one of her shoes flew off," she said.

Visitors were evacuated and the park closed following the attack.
Related
WATCH: Weekend Window: Whale Migration
Should Dolphins Be Treated as Persons?
WATCH: Killer Whales Storm Beaches for Food

SeaWorld and the Orange County Sheriff's Office would not confirm the identity of the trainer, but Dan Brown, vice president and general manager of SeaWorld Orlando, called her one of the park's "most experienced trainers."

He also characterized the death as a "drowning."

"It is with great sadness that I report that one of our most experienced animal trainers drowned in an incident with one of our killer whales this afternoon," said Brown.

"Nothing is more important than the safety of our employees, guests and the animals entrusted to our care. We have never, in the history of our parks,experienced an incident like this, and all of our standard operating procedures will come under review as part of the investigation," he said.

"We extend our deepest sympathies to the family and friends and of the trainer and will do everything possible to assist them in this difficult time."

Previous Attacks by Killer Whales

Killer whales, or orca, have attacked several trainers at aquatic theme parks.

The body of a naked man was found scratched, bruised and draped over Tilikum's back in July 1999. The man, 27-year-old Daniel Dukes, reportedly made his way past security at SeaWorld, remaining in the park after it had closed. Wearing only his underwear, Dukes either jumped, fell or was pulled into the frigid water of Tilikum's huge tank.

An autopsy ruled that he died of hypothermia in the 50-degree water. Dukes' parents filed a lawsuit against the park later that year but later withdrew it.

In November 2006, trainer Kenneth Peters, 39, was bitten and held underwater several times by a 7,000-pound killer whale during a show at SeaWorld's San Diego park, according to the Associated Press.

He escaped with a broken foot.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="https://www.youtube.com/v/oyZqq_1hXus&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="https://www.youtube.com/v/oyZqq_1hXus&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Last edited:
They should shut that place down. No amount of childhood pleasure at jumping whales is worth human lives. And based on the article, that whale likely contributed to the deaths of 2 others previously! WTF??

if they had problems with the whale in the past they should have just kept it apart from the show.

if they had problems with the whale in the past they should have just kept it apart from the show.

Or set it free like the kids in South Park.
willzyx_on_the_moon_1280x1024.jpg

Sorry to hear that, but it's what happens when you try turn wild animals into pets for amusement. I'm not some big animal rights nut or something, but they're called wild animals for a reason and should be left in their natural enivronment where they belong. Watch them on the Discovery Channel.

I just feel bad for the trainer u know....I bet she just thought it was gonna be another day at the office. It just shows u how short life is. It's spooky.

They should shut that place down. No amount of childhood pleasure at jumping whales is worth human lives. And based on the article, that whale likely contributed to the deaths of 2 others previously! WTF??

Dunno, sounds like the guy that drowned was either drunk or dumb as hell getting into a tank with Killer Whale.

And I'm guessing the 2nd is a different Whale, at least that is what I inferred from the article. And that guy didn't die, but had a broken foot.

I'm sorry to say that this whale is not unusual.

Orcas have never attacked humans in the wild, that I am aware of, but they often "test" or "play" with their trainers in captivity. And much more often than any aquarium would have us know.

Interesting that I just watched a documentary on, it was either Discovery or Nat Geo, about killer whales and the narrator indicated that humans are rarely targeted. But that's in the wild. I guess captivity adds a whole new environmental dynamic. Just goes to show that wild animals are just that, "wild", and no amount of training is going to rid them of that instinct.

Interesting that I just watched a documentary on, it was either Discovery or Nat Geo, about killer whales and the narrator indicated that humans are rarely targeted. But that's in the wild. I guess captivity adds a whole new environmental dynamic. Just goes to show that wild animals are just that, "wild", and no amount of training is going to rid them of that instinct.

Humans in captivity tend do the same...

I'm sorry to say that this whale is not unusual.

Orcas have never attacked humans in the wild, that I am aware of, but they often "test" or "play" with their trainers in captivity. And much more often than any aquarium would have us know.

Probably things he would do if he was out in the wild with other orcas...instead he is in captivity and has to play with a human.

I feel bad for the trainer...but I also feel bad for the whales. Who knows how long they have been in captivity and if they could even survive on their own if they were ever set free?

Sorry to hear that, but it's what happens when you try turn wild animals into pets for amusement. I'm not some big animal rights nut or something, but they're called wild animals for a reason and should be left in their natural enivronment where they belong. Watch them on the Discovery Channel.

Especially one we've decided to call a KILLER whale, of all things...

Sad indeed buts that what happens when u try and turn wild animals into sideshow attractions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back