SDCC 2006 The Retrun Of The Josh

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I look forward to seeing it, Original Josh! Have fun and don't work too hard! ;)

Oh, and for me? Oh, this? This is just my

300th Post! :chew

Thanks guys!! I'll be making sure we stay pretty updated on pics and my daily thoughts. Danny looking forward to another drink with you my friend!

Y'all don't get too wild and crazy at SDCC! And keep an eye out for Lonnie, 'cuz I think he's gonna try drinkin' you two under the table! (I've seen it with my own eyes: That man can DRINK! Watch yourselves!!) :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl

EVILFACE said:
Looks like you're getting scooped by other sites . . . .

Well, yeah they have folks there for preview night. I couldn't afford to be there that many days. Maybe next year for that.

Sory about no pics from me during the show. Was running around like a chicken with my head cut off. I'll post some of mine along with my thoughts in a bit.

Thanks again to every boardmember I met for making my time so awesome and treating my Dad like one of the gang. The same goes to the SS Folks as well you all are truly the best!! I can't wait to see you all next year!!

Here are my thoughts of the show with pics to follow in a bit.

San Diego Comic-Con 2006 Bigger, Better, and Off Da Hook!!

This year’s version of the Comic-Con was truly even bigger and better than last years. The amount of products alone shown by the company was way more than last year then you toss in the amount of people that came to the show, and you have an event for the ages. I loved being able to go again this year and share with you all reading this my thoughts on everything that I saw during my return to Comic-Con.

I’m gonna start off with talking about what I thought of Master Replicas booth. They had some seriously nice stuff on display between the Fx sabers and all their limited edition items. The helmet line they have is really very very cool and I wish that I had the money to get a few of them. The Lightsabers all the type be it signed edition, regular, limited by some means, .45, etc are all amazing and would be cool if they worked as well. The most impressive thing though about the booth was seeing the Millennium Falcon. This piece is really really HUGE and the detail in it is just nuts. Imagine something half the size of a dining room table and the detail of what you see on a movie screen. That’s what you get out of this particular piece. I believe it also is gonna cost something like $2500 so it’s not cheap but cool none the less.

Hasbro as you may have read has some really interesting items coming out over the next year. The 3¾ inch figures look to be going in the right direction with lots of clones like Mace Windu’s battalion and various others from the Saga. The Galactic Heroes line one of my personal favorites looks to be going in the right direction as well. I saw several new additions like a new Vader, Tie Pilot, Leia, Wedge Antillies, etc. So if you’re like me and have a little love for this line we have some nice figures coming. The unleashed battle packs have some really awesome figures coming as well such as a 501st assortment and a shock trooper assortment. Those two if you’re a clone collector like me are a must grab! The mini-vehicle line and transformers line also have some cool stuff coming. So if you’re into those lines you’ll have some nice things to be looking forward too. The coolest stuff though came from the titanium line of figures. We’ve got Darh Maul, Grievous, Ep2 Clone, X-Wing Luke, and a couple others coming so be on the look out for these throughout the next year.

Neca was another company that really impressed with me with a couple of items they have coming out. First is the Balrog from we’ve all been waiting on them to get out. This thing is nuts on how big and wide it is. It in no way looks cheap like I feared it might because of previous pics I had seen. The detail on it is pretty sweet and impressed me enough that I will now be trying to add this item to my collection of Lord Of The Rings products. The other item that really got me very excited was seeing that they will be doing a He-Man statue. This piece will be based on the new design of He-Man but the character for me is a must have. He-Man means a lot to me on a personal level. This piece is going to be quarter scale I believe so he will be fairly large and only $200 bucks. So if you’re a He-Man fan like I am then this is a must have.

Gentle Giant has some truly awesome products coming out over the next year. The animated maquettes they have coming out have me seriously thinking of getting this line. Vader and Fett both looked truly cool and I’m glad to have snagged those pieces. Leia also looked strong as well so if you have her coming and are lucky enough to have Padme already you’re in for a treat. The 3PO with Jawa is a very funny piece. When I saw it this piece made me laugh because I could see this happening in the Star Wars Universe and the reaction from 3PO was truly on target. X-Win Luke was also another fantastic piece that will go really well with other maquettes. The Star Wars Mini-Bust line looks to also be really going full steam ahead with the clone busts that will be coming out, Plo Kloon, Grievous, Chewie, Mara Jade, and especially Darth Maul. If you collect this line I highly suggest that you find a way to start saving every way you can because the products coming your way can’t be missed. If you collect Lord Of The Rings then you are also in for a treat because GG has some really really well done pieces coming your way. The bust line they have coming has some of the best likenesses I’ve ever seen on any thing LOTR related. These are also going to be highly affordable as well so if you get in early getting them all should be no problem. The animated line of figures they are doing are also nicely done as well. At the show they had Saruman and Gandalf The Grey which are both must haves for this LOTR collector.

Finally, I want to talk about the star of the show. Sideshow Collectibles! They had without a doubt the best set of products at the show. The Star Wars pieces they had topped anything we’ve ever seen before. The 12” Maul, Qui-Gon, Obi-Wan, Mace, etc are going to just knock your socks off when they land in your collection. Then there’s Jabba The Hutt and friends. Jabba is the single most impressive 12” figure I’ve seen. His size is truly amazing and will be a space eater if your collection is running out of room but don’t pass because of that because you’ll beat yourself later if you do. Then you have the expansion sets which include his throne which is as big as Jabba to hold him as well as another set which has Salacious Crumb. Bib Fortuna and Leia also are really fantastic pieces as well. The whole Jabba set up is a must have and something I grabbed. The two newest Premium Format pieces we hadn’t seen much of Luke/Yoda and Bobba Fett where show stoppers. Luke/Yoda looked great and really does a great job of capturing what the part of the Star Wars Saga really had in it. The exclusive is also pretty sweet and something that is a very nice little addition to a piece. Bobba though was the best of bunch with all the detail in his suit and accessories. The hair in the wookie belt is really nicely done and looks so real it’s scary. The piece just totally has the feel of Fett in the sense you look at it and go I wouldn’t want to mess with him. The Yoda 1:1 scale bust was also a show stopper. It’s like they took Yoda and froze him then made a bust out of him and like the Fett PF piece you feel a sense of Wisdom coming from this Yoda Bust. If you have the money and room get it now while you can!!

The Lord Of The Rings items displayed at the show where not as many as in years past but these items where still the best! The PF Lurtz is just absolutely awesome!! He truly looks as if he walked off screen and is about to take you out in the same manner he took out Boromir. The detail in this piece makes him one of the top PF pieces in SS history. Frodo is also really well done much more so than some fans give him credit for. The likeness to Elijah Wood is much better than we have seen in any pictures to date. You feel when looking at this piece the sense of urgency to get through Moria before something really bad happens. Also to finally see the One Ring hanging around the Ring Bearers neck is the best treat of all. The Legendary Scale Bust Line SS has started with two piece from LOTR are also really awesome! The Morgul Lord and Cave Troll are must haves if you’re into LOTR. I was truly amazed at the detail of these pieces and how much I had to have them. I am looking forward to the next bust announced because this line has already jumped out of the gates with a fantastic start! The 12” LOTR figures shown at the Con are showing folks that the LOTR line just might be the best 12” figures Sideshow has ever done. The detail in the costumes and likenesses are mind blowingly good. No detail was left undone in these pieces and if you’re a fan of LOTR be happy knowing that our story is in the hands of folks who hit major league homeruns! Another line that really impressed me was the Marvel Line from SS. I have a couple pieces on order and am glad I do. They are truly cool pieces and if you’re a fan of Marvel you must get the Hulk PF piece!! This guy is huge and the best hulk piece I’ve ever seen.

I want to talk about a couple of events I went to during the Con. One was the Star Wars Fan Club Breakfast. This event was pretty cool to be at. I was among several other fans that got a chance to hear about what was coming from Hasbro and Lucasfilm. We all got the 501st figure from Hasbro for free which was a nice touch but yours truly won a Glactic Heroes figure set is sold out, and to top it off at the end of the show I got it signed by Steve Sansweet himself! The event was worth every penny of the $60 bucks I paid to get in. The other event I wanted to mention was the Sideshow Collectibles/Sideshow Freaks Message board party. This event was held on Friday the 21st not long after the Con was over for the day. Lots of members who are friends of mine showed up as well as lots of folks from Sideshow themselves. This event is truly special because you get to catch up with friends both from the board and folks from Sideshow plus getting to chat with everyone on a more relaxed level is awesome! This event wouldn’t be complete without giveaways and some nice prized where handed out to lucky members from the Freaks Board. This event is truly special and something I will be looking forward to for years to come!

Overall, this years Comic-Con was just out of this world better than last years. More products and more people just made this the place to be. I hope you get a chance to go in the future if you couldn’t make it this year or have never made it before. As the theme of SDCC from Sideshow Collectibles was said by many San Diego Comic-Con You gotta be here!!

Thanks for sharing all of that with us Josh1, it really helped me feel like I was almost there! I missed out this year, but next year I will be around to share a shot with the original Josh, around a good bit before I even knew of SSC.

Here's a Josh2 salute for you man! :chug

DarkArtist81 said:
Thanks for sharing all of that with us Josh1, it really helped me feel like I was almost there! I missed out this year, but next year I will be around to share a shot with the original Josh, around a good bit before I even knew of SSC.

Here's a Josh2 salute for you man! :chug

Thanks Josh2!! It really was a lot of fun and a good time was had by all I do believe. I look forward to meeting you next year!!

I'm hoping to get some shots up but I got like 600+ shots to go through. I took way too many this year.

Great review, Josh. Thanks. Makes me sad I didn't go.

And you really got me pumped for Jabba and the LOTR 12" line. I'm glad I've got them all on PO!

Wor-Gar said:
Great review, Josh. Thanks. Makes me sad I didn't go.

And you really got me pumped for Jabba and the LOTR 12" line. I'm glad I've got them all on PO!

I hope you all that really want to go next year can. At least one time because it's something to truly see.

Those pieces are really really well done. They are worth every penny.

Back