Save the Planet of the Apes!!! - PIX ADDED!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree with everything Jungle has posted. Ursus is truly a magnificent work of art. The fine detail of his face, his expression...they have captured him like he just walked off the set. So what if his metal plates on the most bottom part of cuirass is six instead of four? His sculpt is OUTSTANDING!!!!! Ursus is such great eye candy!!!!!!! Thank God Hot Toys got the helmet and cuirass correct!!!!!!! :banana

The other gorillas...well...they could use some fixing. Minor issues, but nothing to complain about. It is definitely cool to see the apes in a different form!! Definitely the SS gorilla sculpt is better IMHO than the HT gorilla soldier.

My major beef with the HT gorilla soldier is really the missing widow's peak, giving the gorilla extra and unnecessary forehead, and the teeth are excessively long/bucky looking. The brow ridge needs minor tweaking, too...like it's too meaty or something. I can't explain, but it just looks off. It's not the classic gorilla I want to see. It's somebody's interpretation of one.

I would really love to see the side buckles of the gorilla boots. There is not one clear photo of them. Why? I wish I could see a photo and not be "surprised" after I have placed a pre-order or something!!

Bravo regarding the fantastic color choice for the fabric. They even went with a purple-looking leather too, although Apemania says that it is a gun metal color. And, very cool treatment of the vest. Almost accurate! Definitely up a notch from the Sideshow gorilla vest...but I can't really tell without seeing it in person. From the photos, the vest is pretty good.

Wish I could have a better view of the Captain, though. I would like to give him the once over, too.

Last edited:
Oh, yeah, baby! I just noticed Ursus on the masthead! Bravo. Ursus you are one bad boy that I have to have!!! :monkey5:monkey5:monkey5 Hurry home to me.

:banana:banana:banana

Hmm....it looks like the Captain and gorilla soldier have the same headsculpt, therefore the same wonky teeth and bad hairline and off-putting brow ridges. But, overall, he looks GREAT. I would love to see up close and personal shots of his face, but it looks like the same sculpt. And why would a Captain be waving a flag? They should have a lower ranked flag bearer be doing that (at least in my army it will be a flag bearer, not Captain waving the flag!!)

Hmm....it looks like the Captain and gorilla soldier have the same headsculpt, therefore the same wonky teeth and bad hairline and off-putting brow ridges. But, overall, he looks GREAT. I would love to see up close and personal shots of his face, but it looks like the same sculpt. And why would a Captain be waving a flag? They should have a lower ranked flag bearer be doing that (at least in my army it will be a flag bearer, not Captain waving the flag!!)

The hasbro Gorillas had the same wonky teeth also. I wonder if they used the Hasbro as a guide?????:google

I know I may be alone here but I hope Hot Toys actually makes a Brent that looks like Brent from Beneath the Planet of the Apes.

Dr. Zaius, this photo is courtesy of Apemania. It is their Marcus. Notice the meaty brow ridge and missing widow's peak, with the unintended extra forehead due to the hairline. I wonder if it was used as a reference. I would hope not, but you never know. Hot toys should have concentrated on the sculpt of the lower teeth instead of the upper teeth for their gorilla soldier. I think it would improve the overall expression of their gorilla. But, who am I?

The hairline I think would be an easy fix, but if it could be fixed now before it goes into production, it would be better for the collection.

Look what an outstanding job Hot Toys did with the armholes of the vest. So spot on!! As somebody who looks at the minor details (like stitching), THIS is a very difficult feat to accomplish, especially at this scale. Check out the exquisiteness of the bandolier. It looks almost 1:1 scale!! I have had the privilege of seeing up close and personal photos of the bandolier, and THIS is how it needs to look. So, bravo again, Hot Toys. It's the fine attention to details.

1-1.jpg
3POTA_GorillaSoldier.jpg

Last edited:
Well done Jess, I wonder if they used this for the model of the sculpt they used. You are right that they can not be out done on the clothes! They look like the were taken off the screen. But, I think Sideshow got the sculpt better than Hot Toys on this one. The Hot Toys Ursus can't be touched though. Outstanding! I wonder if the SS heads and HT heads will swap?

For folks that are so accepting of the less-than-stellar SS Apes, you sure are nitpicking the HT Apes to death. I think they look 1000% astounding as-is. If the Apes were real, they would probably be like people, some would have more pronounced foreheads and widow's peaks than others, as well as forehead size would vary. Some have overbites, some underbites. If anything, if you still value your Sideshow Apes, this diversity should make blending your armies easier- everyone won't look the same. I could not imagine swapping the soft-featured SS headsculpts over the crisp, lifelike HT sculpts. When you have them in hand, I'll bet you it will blow the SS away. I'm an extremely anal person, I guess it shocks me to find people more anal than me. I wouldn't plan swaps, etc too much right now- the finished product may surprise you. That sort of thing has happened to me before. Also, the guns are mostly wood, and the Apes are a fairly rudimentary society- gun shapes would vary some, as the bulk of the guns are hand-carved. No need to pick one over the other if you like the SS Apes still.
I will tell you this, though- get any of those old apes you don't want to ebay soon- they'll be a lot harder to sell come summer.

Hot Toys items do look great. It is their forte, but it is thanks to the real PotA fans that many of these previously overlooked anomalies are brought to the fore. I wouldn't call it nitpicking, I would call it an observance. It happens with Indiana Jones and the Dark Knight figures and it is happening here too.

So many Hot Toys fan boys gush at everything Hot Toys sticks under their noses, and it is only when educated by the real fans that you actually do learn something. All gorillas look alike, except they don't. When pointed out, the focus on the upper teeth, rather than the lower, really does give it a goofy look. It is not only to educate other collectors but also to educate Hot Toys in areas where they are actually going wrong.

For the price, even if it is more modest than other Hot Toys offerings, is still a point of contention, and mix and match may not be possible, and army building becomes an expensive proposition.

So many Hot Toys fan boys gush at everything Hot Toys sticks under their noses, and it is only when educated by the real fans that you actually do learn something.

Your point was well-made until you sunk to bashing people who like Hot Toys, I'm guessing that's a sore point for you. I certainly wouldn't call myself a fanboy, all things in moderation. I am, however, quite picky, and Hot Toys just happens to get things "the most right" more often these days, and with the Apes, it's no exception. And real fans? What do you even know about me, my likes, and my history to make such suppositions? You sound like Rick McCallum when the bad reviews of "The Phantom Menace" started rolling in, saying the naysayers weren't "true fans". Good lord, I've been an Ape fan since the early 70's, I'll decide if I am a fan or not. I've actually seen Apes on Betamax.... pretty hardcore, if you ask me. I had Apes Megos as a child, coloring books, and Aurora Models. I bought all of the Hasbro 12 inch Apes, as well as 85% of the Sideshow Apes line. Trying to write my suppositions off as a dumb "Johnny-come-lately" isn't going to work here, high post count or not, pal. How old are you? I was talking toys on rec.toys.misc way back in the beginning, were you? I knew Darklord Dave well before this board ever existed. I know action figures. I was merely suggesting an alternate viewpoint that might make the dissatisfied here able to more fully intermix their Sideshow and Hot Toys Apes in the name of a larger army, and enjoy them more. Your trolling is what is unnecessary. :D

Oh yeah...You damn kids get off my lawn!
(I realize I just sounded like Mr. Wilson or something) I'll turn the hose on you!

Last edited:
I think posting the critiques of the accuracy of a piece, no matter how anal, are beneficial in the end. Especially when there's photos showing what's wrong. Hot Toys has said they look at the boards for feedback so if something's wrong its worth pointing it out so they have a chance to correct it.

I think posting the critiques of the accuracy of a piece, no matter how anal, are beneficial in the end. Especially when there's photos showing what's wrong. Hot Toys has said they look at the boards for feedback so if something's wrong its worth pointing it out so they have a chance to correct it.

I do agree with that, and how you said it makes total sense. :D

I agree with Creech on this. I don't see much accessive nit-picking going on in terms of these new Hot Toys releases... just observations.

As for us accepting SS stuff as is, well, you must not have been here at the Freak forum when the Sideshow line was initially being released. There was PLENTY of nitpicking, I can assure you. Some of it was pretty harsh too:

-The rotocasting left the sculpts rather soft and laking in detail.

-The coloring on Dr. Zaius clothing wasn't orange enough. His face lacked color.

-Cornelius looked pissed.

-Too many damn Taylors... and not enough of the right one. :rolleyes:

- The whole Brent likeness situation. Right, Ironman?

- Ursus doesn't look like James Gregory. His helmet wasis too small and its badly sculpted. His armour is missing a row of armour plates etc.

In hindsight, as the apes are concerned, I think Ursus got the worst of the criticism... expectations were running pretty high for the figure amongst fans. I believe that when Sideshow dropped the ball on this figure, it showed Sideshow's lack of serious commitment to the line which in turn signaled an end to the line. But that is just my opinion.

Besides we Ape fans have had nearly four years to let the Sideshow line settle into our respective collections... most of us becoming thankful for what they did accomplish with the line. And, if you have been a visitor of this thread, you have seen our resident customizers use the Sideshow line as a basis for some amazing creations.

As for us accepting SS stuff as is, well, you must not have been here at the Freak forum when the Sideshow line was initially being released. There was PLENTY of nitpicking, I can assure you. Some of it was pretty harsh too:

-The coloring on Dr. Zaius clothing wasn't orange enough. His face lacked color.

- The whole Brent likeness situation.

Now that you mention it, I do remember reading most of that... I guess it's been so long I had forgotten. I suppose I was just floored by how amazing the HT pics look so far, that I was surprised anyone would, as I said, "nitpick" them. Once I got the SS Apes, I tried to enjoy them for about a year, but I finally had to sell them because I was just not happy with them. I think what surprised me most was people wanting to put those soft soldier ape SS headsculpts on the HT apes, when at least to me the HT ape heads are so much nicer. Oh well, carry on... :D

I just see too many positives to want to critique the Hot Toy Apes, but it is natural to do so. Three Gorillas to start with is a plus to begin with. I really love the Ursus and I think that the other two Gorillas look great also! I first mentioned the accuracy of the Tunic and coloring of the shirt and pants. I think that HT got that down. I do not plan to switch anything between Hot Toys and SS because they may compliment each other. There is always needed customising to the SS Gorillas, but that is part of the fun. I say, just be glad that HT Toys has picked up the ball and looks to be ready to run with it. :whip:monkey5

I agree with Creech on this. I don't see much accessive nit-picking going on in terms of these new Hot Toys releases... just observations.

- The whole Brent likeness situation. Right, Ironman?

- Ursus doesn't look like James Gregory. His helmet wasis too small and its badly sculpted. His armour is missing a row of armour plates etc.

In hindsight, as the apes are concerned, I think Ursus got the worst of the criticism... expectations were running pretty high for the figure amongst fans. I believe that when Sideshow dropped the ball on this figure, it showed Sideshow's lack of serious commitment to the line which in turn signaled an end to the line. But that is just my opinion.

Besides we Ape fans have had nearly four years to let the Sideshow line settle into our respective collections... most of us becoming thankful for what they did accomplish with the line. And, if you have been a visitor of this thread, you have seen our resident customizers use the Sideshow line as a basis for some amazing creations.
At this point in time I don't see myself going on about Brent again (unless Hot Toys delivers a lunker). I think we ape fans that have stuck by it and tried to expand it and asked, begged and bled for more should look at the big picture. We are getting more of what we asked for. Not many lines get that. Buffy was revived, but not only is POTA alive again, its got its lifesbreath being given by Hot Toys, a step up in detail if you will from Sideshow. I have no intention of parting with my SS apes. In fact, seeing the Hot Toys versions has gotten me to thinking about seeing if "hairing" them up is an option. I have enough to try it on 1 or 2 but won't even consider starting until I have a Hot Toys version in hand for reference.

For folks that are so accepting of the less-than-stellar SS Apes, you sure are nitpicking the HT Apes to death. I think they look 1000% astounding as-is. If the Apes were real, they would probably be like people, some would have more pronounced foreheads and widow's peaks than others, as well as forehead size would vary. Some have overbites, some underbites. If anything, if you still value your Sideshow Apes, this diversity should make blending your armies easier- everyone won't look the same. I could not imagine swapping the soft-featured SS headsculpts over the crisp, lifelike HT sculpts. When you have them in hand, I'll bet you it will blow the SS away. I'm an extremely anal person, I guess it shocks me to find people more anal than me. I wouldn't plan swaps, etc too much right now- the finished product may surprise you. That sort of thing has happened to me before. Also, the guns are mostly wood, and the Apes are a fairly rudimentary society- gun shapes would vary some, as the bulk of the guns are hand-carved. No need to pick one over the other if you like the SS Apes still.
I will tell you this, though- get any of those old apes you don't want to ebay soon- they'll be a lot harder to sell come summer.

As was stated we were not accepting of the SS apes. They were critiqued to death upon release. I do plan, or at least hope to, swap some SS and HT items and see what happens. As for ebay? Don't bother, just contact me. :D

I think Jessica did a great job pointing out the similarites between the Apemania version of Marcus and the Hot Toys sculpt. She should be a dectective!

The HT Ursus sculpt seems to get everything right that the Soldier sculpt is just missing.
The brow, details on the muzzle/nose, mouth.

For me the I think the issue is that HT has raised the bar so high with Ursus. It's so damn perfect.
I can't see ANYTHING on those pix that I'd change on Ursus.
So, when there are tiny little details off in a similar product it stands out.

SS did a great job capturing the look of a gorilla soldier, albeit with a slightly less detailed final production.

I still have faith that the HT ape will look great when he comes out. But if HT can tweak things a little, maybe for future gorillas, then I hope they listen.

It was just my observances, not my grievances that I had aired out. Hot Toys still did an outstanding job and the new apes still take my breath away, especially that hunk, Ursus!!!!!! (Nothing can compare to Hot Toy's Ursus!!!!!)

I am just merely pointing out some items that may have been overlooked by Hot Toys, in case they are listening. Their new apes are on a new level.

Oh...and I will still love my SS apes, no matter what. So, if anybody wants to get rid of their SS gorillas, let me know, since I want to amass an army.

Back