Premium Format Sauron Premium Format

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You know Jerry, the recent [and disturbing] trend around here these days is for Freaks to slam just about every PF SS produces based on the preview photo's. But I think I see a new trend developing....lets start bashing SS's PF's before they're ever produced....and lets start with Sauron :rotfl Now as much as I'd like to believe the wise council :cuckoo: of board members who've never seen so much as a sneak peek of this statue....I think I'm going to have to go with you on this one. :lecture

Guys, i think there is nothing wrong with giving our own personal opinions on a piece so long as we do it without insulting or belittling anyone.

Also, I think the only time worth commenting on a piece, esp on the likely pose it before it is unveiled.

Why? Simply because by the time it is unveiled, it is also often true that the moulds have been cast and nothing can be done to make major changes on the piece.

The ML is a very good example. I have it, like it BUT i hide the leg cos the pose still bugs me some and it looks much better with the leg out of sight.

I am looking forward to this piece but am also somewhat distracted by the pose.

I agree that the pose may be anatomically correct for someone walking downhill but I would also like to have a more iconic pose for Sauron.

Talking about it now may help the sculptors take our feedback into how they go about their work, at least I hope they do take our feedback into account. :peace

Guys, i think there is nothing wrong with giving our own personal opinions on a piece so long as we do it without insulting or belittling anyone.

Also, I think the only time worth commenting on a piece, esp on the likely pose it before it is unveiled.

Why? Simply because by the time it is unveiled, it is also often true that the moulds have been cast and nothing can be done to make major changes on the piece.

The ML is a very good example. I have it, like it BUT i hide the leg cos the pose still bugs me some and it looks much better with the leg out of sight.

I agree that the pose may be anatomically correct for someone walking downhill but I would also like to have a more iconic pose for Sauron.

Talking about it now may help the sculptors take our feedback into how they go about their work, at least I hope they do take our feedback into account. :peace
Just curious, what pose is considered iconic for Sauron?

Just curious, what pose is considered iconic for Sauron?

It may sound snarky but... not this. This may turn out to be a great PF but the pose isn't something most would mentally conjure when they think Sauron. Fact is we only really know of Sauron doing a few things and standing there being scary is one of them. I think the SSW piece took the low hanging fruit pose wise. That pose is not too contrived and is powerful (think Darth Vader pose with arms folded across chest - never work here). I don't even think of Sauron walking. He menaces, kills people, and make rings of power and holds them in the air.

It may sound snarky but... not this. This may turn out to be a great PF but the pose isn't something most would mentally conjure when they think Sauron. Fact is we only really know of Sauron doing a few things and standing there being scary is one of them. I think the SSW piece took the low hanging fruit pose wise. That pose is not too contrived and is powerful (think Darth Vader pose with arms folded across chest - never work here). I don't even think of Sauron walking. He menaces, kills people, and make rings of power and holds them in the air.

:exactly:

this post is not too short.

Yeah, I was thinking a more iconic imposing stance. I want to feel forboding and a hidden sense of power when I look at a Sauron PF.

I thought SSW did a good job of capturing that

093005sauron_p17lg.jpg

4056507168_4dbd079a60.jpg

I agree, a forum board is to give opinion to contribute to the piece. I love it that artists take the time to incorporate our opinions into a piece. That's always great! It's the perfect time to get everything right and make this the difinitive Sauron piece. If need be add switch out parts for more versitility in display as an Ex with additional cost and if people want to pay less just buy the cheaper Regular version! That's what the Ex is there for.

I own and love the exclusive ML but the pose and butter sword could have been so much better if they took customer input into account.

Please take our feedback into account.

I think if you come up with a few alternative good poses the licencor wouldn't be too bashful about it.

I think that the stage in the design/sculpting process where it would be most possible to make changes based on fan feedback is unfortunately the time when the fans haven't seen it yet and might not even know it exists. By the time it's ready to show to customers, it's very far along in the design process and any changes made based on feedback/response will be minor and cosmetic if they happen at all. This is not the time to brainstorm new posing/display options--that happened months ago behind closed doors.

We get photos after months and even years of development, and they aren't going to undo all of that work because of our varying comments. We might get a tweak, maybe, but not major revision that late in the game. I know we'd love to have input much earlier in the design process, but in the vast majority of cases, that's just not going to happen.

So I guess my point is that we shouldn't feel like Sideshow is ignoring us--it's just typically too late to make some of the changes we demand by the time we (sometimes a vocal minority) start demanding them. Sauron is not going to get a new pose at this stage. But I happen to like what we're getting and I believe this thing will be insane in person.

I think that the stage in the design/sculpting process where it would be most possible to make changes based on fan feedback is unfortunately the time when the fans haven't seen it yet and might not even know it exists. By the time it's ready to show to customers, it's very far along in the design process and any changes made based on feedback/response will be minor and cosmetic if they happen at all. This is not the time to brainstorm new posing/display options--that happened months ago behind closed doors.

We get photos after months and even years of development, and they aren't going to undo all of that work because of our varying comments. We might get a tweak, maybe, but not major revision that late in the game. I know we'd love to have input much earlier in the design process, but in the vast majority of cases, that's just not going to happen.

So I guess my point is that we shouldn't feel like Sideshow is ignoring us--it's just typically too late to make some of the changes we demand by the time we (sometimes a vocal minority) start demanding them. Sauron is not going to get a new pose at this stage. But I happen to like what we're getting and I believe this thing will be insane in person.

Yeah in this case since only the concept painting is done, hopefully there is time for fan input and opinions.

Fair enough. I think the pose most are looking for is not a dynamic kind of stance.

Looking at the piece up close and in person doesn't always help. Why? Because the size and sheer wow factor of having the actual price right in front of you can affect your judgment. Thats what happened with the morgul lord piece. The pose wasn't the best, but when you have 27 inches of baddassery displayed in front of you, it doesn't look so bad.

So, ironically, the better way to judge a statute's pose IMO is to look at it's 2d image. The average person has witnessed normal human movements 24/7 since birth so I'll wager they'll know a thing or two about what a normal pose would look like and wouldn't need a 360 viewing. Guys, please, this isn't an abstract IQ spatial test!

:confused: Seeing an image in person doesn't help? The ability to use visual acuity and depth perception to it's fullest extent is not the best way to judge a statue and/or it's pose....you've got to be kidding! :lol Of course seeing a statue in person effects one's judgement.....it allows the viewer to see the statue from every possible angle, to visually detect every nuance........something a 2D image cannot possibly do. And while on the subject of 'judgement' why don't we go over the the number of instances around here [and elsewhere] where collectors have made negative judgements on statues based on SS's 2D photo's, or the photo's of others only to be proven dead wrong once they see the statue in person. I'm sorry, but your theory or the reasoning behind it could not possibly make any less sense. :dunno

Further, the issue before us is whether the pose is appropriate for Sauron (does it give an aura of grandeur) and not whether it is awkward/unnatural. And one doesn't need 360 viewing to make an informed judgment on this.

Really? I must have missed the memo giving you full authority to decide what is an approprite or natural pose for Sauron. Maybe you can provide for the rest of a list of your qualifications in the fields of art, computer 3D imaging, and kinesiology.....until then I'll stick with the opinions of those actually in the position of making informed decisions, or at the very least those who know what they're talking about.

Last edited:
Yes, that pose fits for that collaged scene. He is a reaching for the Ring, in theme but not literally. To stick that pose I painted there in this current Sauron scene would NOT work,because Sauron is not reaching for something he already has. You see, it has to fit the context, especially in a direct "one-shot" piece of scenery and not a montage of themes and ideas.

JV

Yes, that pose fits for that collaged scene. He is a reaching for the Ring, in theme but not literally. To stick that pose I painted there in this current Sauron scene would NOT work,because Sauron is not reaching for something he already has. You see, it has to fit the context, especially in a direct "one-shot" piece of scenery and not a montage of themes and ideas.

JV

Reaching for something seems fine or just holding up the ring. I prefer that pose in stand alone instead of him at rest and if you put him in a collection with other LOTR statues it will be like a collage too. Just brings a sense of menace and foreboding being able to reach out to you in your living room or display.....Sauron PF is reaching out for me! :horror vs Sauron PF looking passively at me from a distance. Again I would like to take a moment to say the art is awesome, just for a PF Sauron will look awesome as a menacing, threatening figure.

Thanks again for listening to our feedback Jerry.

Last edited:
Back