S.H. Figuarts Star Wars

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The hype for the Mandalorian Luke is going to start getting real pretty soon, so I wanted to post these screen caps I came across. They’re not mine, they’re from a YouTube channel called 808 imps, and we’re taken from the display at yellow submarine in Akihabara.
I gotta say, the sculpt and face printing looks really, really good to me in these pics, miles better than the solicitation pics, which I understand some folks had some issues with (although I didn’t mind it as much).
This might end up being pretty awesome, folks.
70CA1D33-F8F3-4DA2-9A33-423784455C59.jpeg

549DB1DF-4EB6-490E-8A9A-9A1CDC50264B.png

Seeing how nice Luke turned out really just makes me sad that the SHF line has slowed to barely a trickle in recent years. Yes, we got some Mandalorians that were oddly under-detailed for the SHF line, but really not much else.

And yes, I see people say it's because Star Wars isn't as popular in Japan, or that Japan doesn't care about milestone anniversaries of the films. Fine, I get it. Doesn't stop me from being bummed that the line started strong, but has become a shell of its former self.

How amazing would it have been if we had all those prototypes by now? Snowspeeder Luke, Wicket, and a single packed Biker Scout would have been huge sellers! I mean, at the very least they should have cranked out the easy repaints of R2-D2 that they showed off in the past. They literally just left money on the table by not making those.

Screenshot-2017-12-1 Media Tweets by aminews ( amiamihobbynews) Twitter(7).png
Screenshot-2017-12-1 Media Tweets by aminews ( amiamihobbynews) Twitter.png

Screenshot-2017-12-1 Media Tweets by aminews ( amiamihobbynews) Twitter(2).png
Screenshot-2017-12-1 Media Tweets by aminews ( amiamihobbynews) Twitter(1).png

I think the issue is that SH Figuarts is not just a Star Wars line. It's a Marvel line, it an Anime of the week line, a Dragon Ball Z line, and more.

And what adds to the problem is character selection. I firmly believe that what killed the lines momentum was the odd character selection for The Last Jedi. 2 Stormtroopers, a Captain Phasma that was only a minor improvement from the previous version, and 3 Praetorian Guards. The Stormtroopers and Guards could've been condensed into 2 releases with all the accessories included in each release. The only good choices in that "wave" were Rey and Kylo. Oh and the BB units as well.

I think the issue is that SH Figuarts is not just a Star Wars line. It's a Marvel line, it an Anime of the week line, a Dragon Ball Z line, and more.

And what adds to the problem is character selection. I firmly believe that what killed the lines momentum was the odd character selection for The Last Jedi. 2 Stormtroopers, a Captain Phasma that was only a minor improvement from the previous version, and 3 Praetorian Guards. The Stormtroopers and Guards could've been condensed into 2 releases with all the accessories included in each release. The only good choices in that "wave" were Rey and Kylo. Oh and the BB units as well.

I agree that Figuarts does many properties, and really very few of them are handled that well, Dragonball aside which seems to get 1 figure per month, but I really don't think TLJ's selection is to blame. They started off crappy with The Force Awakens too, they didn't do a single hero. I have no idea what it takes for a Tamashii line to be successful if it can only be sold in Japan, I'm sure crappy sales of sequel trilogy stuff didn't help; I don't get why they didn't do more OT stuff, or even more PT stuff since they did so much of it already and still had plenty to tap.

The line is sadly limited due to Hasbro's master license in America where I think it would sell the best. Star Wars has to hit a premium of $80+ in order to be sold in America. Tamashii may be experimenting with the Visions releases through Target and then a, rumored, future exclusive.

I'm also curious if Disney is pushing for their content to be focused on rather than pre-Disney content. I think Tamashii would make a lot of money if they focused on releasing Clone Wars characters. Especially Droids and Clones. They had Phase II Captain, Shock Trooper, Sergeant, Lieutenant, Commander, 212th Utapau, and B2 Super Battle Droids prototypes.

The line is sadly limited due to Hasbro's master license in America where I think it would sell the best. Star Wars has to hit a premium of $80+ in order to be sold in America. Tamashii may be experimenting with the Visions releases through Target and then a, rumored, future exclusive.

I'm also curious if Disney is pushing for their content to be focused on rather than pre-Disney content. I think Tamashii would make a lot of money if they focused on releasing Clone Wars characters. Especially Droids and Clones. They had Phase II Captain, Shock Trooper, Sergeant, Lieutenant, Commander, 212th Utapau, and B2 Super Battle Droids prototypes.

I have no idea how Visions figures are getting released in the US except maybe the anime is handled different, but if they could do Star Wars at $80 like they did Marvel they would've done it years ago. They could've easily repackaged Vader and the Death Star steps etc for that. I think Hasbro's license is that locked down totally for 6".

That's funny, I got mine a few hours ago and I set him up in the opposite pose. I just love how the dark shiny gloved hand looks stretched out...very Vader-esque.

shfmluke.JPG

So far, so good....seems like a solid figure. Only thing I'm not nuts about is the wire on the hem of the cape, and it looks like you might just be able to pull it out, but I'll leave it in. Also, on mine, the "fwoosh" saber effect looked a little crooked. I'm not nuts about that feature anyway. I never use it on Dooku, so I don't mind.

The wire in the hood can get some good poses but I would be wary of the few lines of thread holding it together...a clasp or hook and eye would have been better, but maybe to small at this size.

For once there's a nice variety of hands! Still using those horrible, heart-attack inducing thin little pegs though, damn it.

That's funny, I got mine a few hours ago and I set him up in the opposite pose. I just love how the dark shiny gloved hand looks stretched out...very Vader-esque.

View attachment 574588

So far, so good....seems like a solid figure. Only thing I'm not nuts about is the wire on the hem of the cape, and it looks like you might just be able to pull it out, but I'll leave it in. Also, on mine, the "fwoosh" saber effect looked a little crooked. I'm not nuts about that feature anyway. I never use it on Dooku, so I don't mind.

The wire in the hood can get some good poses but I would be wary of the few lines of thread holding it together...a clasp or hook and eye would have been better, but maybe to small at this size.

For once there's a nice variety of hands! Still using those horrible, heart-attack inducing thin little pegs though, damn it.
How’s the portrait match up to the preview pics we’ve been seeing? I’d love to get some pics highlighting that, if you get a chance and have the inclination.

I think it’s really interesting that Luke seems to be better in hand than the promo pics, and the new Doctor Strange (which I also ordered) looks way, way worse than than the promo pics.

He's not exactly ROTJ Luke, but he's also not weird rubbery deep fake Luke. And at least his hair isn't gold!

I personally think it looks better in hand that in promos.

View attachment 574593View attachment 574594View attachment 574597View attachment 574598View attachment 574599
Thanks so much, I appreciate you taking the time to do that!!
Yeah, he looks so much better than the promos, and the face printing always looks better in person than in photos. I’m pretty psyched for mine. It seems like we just got the best Luke in this scale by far.
It looks like he’s got those new style butterfly shoulders kind of like SHF Deadpool has, too?

His hair is still "gold" but it's not the BIZARRE gold it used to be. My original Jedi Luke is in the box so I can't tell, but its very possible the legs are re-used. Chest is ALL new. Butterfly joints are good but not as deep as Deadpool's.

I almost thought this was a re-work of a Jabba's Palace WIP they showed years ago, but for that, both hands would need to be flesh and he didn't wear the belt on the outside at Jabba's Palace. So more likely than not, this is a LOT of new tooling, especially arms and chest.

I'm not so familiar with Jedi tunics and what he wore in Jedi vs Mando, but it SEEMS right....could just be Jedi though. The experts will chime in on all the finer workings of his details.

So far I'm thrilled...I always felt that first Jedi Luke was a let down (should have been Death Star II Luke anyway, and even though you can't take the vest or belt off, this is just a more solid and fun figure. Like I said before, the hand options are great!

Saber seems identical to that very first one, from the stupid way to change the tip, to how it hans on the belt. Just has that "fwoosh" option now. Still, as long you keep an eye on that little bitty tip piece, should be OK....

Back