S.H.FiguArts Dragonball Z figures!!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love the head sculpt on that Dragon Box figure! It captures the youthful Goku, which I would want if they made a Saiyan arc Goku! That's Japan exclusive, right? Those boxes are amazing, and the GT one looks awesome! I got a few of the American boxes, which aren't as cool, but they still look great!

I really like the saiyan saga looks for collection too. The reason I never displayed a saiyan saga vegeta because he looks overgrown in that armor when displayed along with the other figuarts. He was supposed to be as tall as krillin with bigger head like this old statue I had.

vegetas1.jpg

I just noticed that you're cole from "cole customs" I came accross your TMNT customs randomly and thought "Epic sauce" I showed them to my brother, who especially liked them, great work man. Any chance you'll do some custom DBZ characters later for fun?

Thanks, man! Glad you dig them! It's nice to finally finish them after working on them off-and-on for the better part of a year and a half.

I've actually been thinking about possible customs I could make using existing and upcoming figures. I have a few ideas that are possible, but the figures are so stinkin' expensive now. Of course, the easiest possible custom would be a simple repaint of the upcoming Goku to look like his Saiyan God form. Though, I am planning on making the flying nimbus and a Nyoibo (Power Pole) for Goku. I'm also going to make the "holster" for the Nyoibo as well, and making a couple different versions of Nyoibo; a shortened version and a longer version.

@elothk I think they're going with the updated Boo arc art style and using that for every version of the character, where the art was the most consistent. Previously, you'd have this:

Super-Saiyan-Vegeta-Ready-To-Fight-With-Androids-20343.JPG
hqdefault.jpg
Vegeta_Super_Saiyan_Form.JPG

yeah, bane is right; say what you will about the buu sagas, but it did contain some of the most consistant height and art for the characters. The ssj hair in particular is noticeable in the android saga, where they didnt know whether to keep the single colour hair or add visible spike detail, heck, it was still apparent on a couple artist designs of ssj2 Gohan, where it was more simplified.

This:

489535-91.jpg

vs This:

1221624145091_f.jpg

They would keep switching back where it would look amazing and then huge hair, with dented in jaws, huge or tiny eyes, sunken in hair, mixed body proportions, etc. Right there Deano, is the first time I noticed a skinny and short Perfect Cell! He's supposed to be tall and bulky, but sometimes you'd see him really tall and skinnier, or shorter but really stocky. Goku looks like Vegeta in this pic!

002.jpg

Hey Philosopher, last time I checked what Dragon Box figures they had they were that Goku, a SSJ battle damaged Goku, and a Piccolo. I've found them on eBay before
Cool thanks! :) I'll look into that

The ssj hair in particular is noticeable in the android saga, where they didnt know whether to keep the single colour hair or add visible spike detail, heck, it was still apparent on a couple artist designs of ssj2 Gohan, where it was more simplified.

This:

489535-91.jpg

vs This:

1221624145091_f.jpg

Ki-Aura vs. no Ki-Aura
below is a mock-up I made to illustrate my point, it's a 3d model of Goku that I made using a custom node based material I also made:

SSj hair is platinum blond at base.
Goku 01.png.jpg

But when they emit their Ki aura and begin to glow, their hair turns more golden
Goku 02.png.jpg

I get that philosopher, but that wasnt what I was demonstrating :lol

I was showing the difference between how detailed Gohans hair was from one artist to another; the first had alot of spike detail wheras the second was more old style ssj hair.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

I was showing the difference between how detailed Gohans hair was from one artist to another; the first had alot of spike detail wheras the second was more old style ssj hair.

Oh I see :lol when you said single color, I thought you were referring to the difference in the shadows and highlights.

Yes, each sequence are drawn by different person / different department. When I bought cels, I have a couple of timing sheets that was sign by different key artist. They don't actually follow each other. Each artist / group were given a set of template called Setting / Settei in Japan.

https://ekizo.mandarake.co.jp/aucimg/5/6/4/6/0000725646.jpeg

They only had to follow the story board.

https://ekizo.mandarake.co.jp/aucimg/8/7/9/8/0000718798.jpeg

https://ekizo.mandarake.co.jp/aucimg/8/8/0/0/0000718800.jpeg

Key artist drew the start and end frame by their own preference while assistants use their pencil sketch to create sequence in between.

GT has a pretty solid character design style/animation... Not to mention the animation is some of the best there's ever been in a long running series ;P

Too bad everything else about it is garbage, eh? ;) :lol

Oh and thats pretty interesting elot! I knew there were different artists involved but I wasnt aware Toriyamas style was only inspiriation as it were, thank God they stayed pretty true to it!

I still stand by my saying... GT is the best of the 3 DBZ series. No filler, no 3 episode long powerups, Goku actually shows no mercy, Goku is more mature, better animation, better backgrounds, better character design, better dub, and better covers on the front of the dvd box sets.

No, dbz is the best of the dbz series lol. They are all their own seperate entity, although linked by story.

Sorry man, I just cant agree with you; GT was just so full of lazy writing and plotholes it ruined the actual good parts of it for me. Its an alternative future that shouldnt have happened, much like some of the movies :lol

Oh, and did I mention the heavy metal music? Just as bad as the cheesy Japanese music was for the english dub.

I like the overall feel of GT, especially the fights in the destroyed cities. DBZ is just too bright, pink skies, blank backgrounds, filler that you can't skip... I don't think anyone watches dragonball for the writing. The writing has always been terrible, the logic has always been bent. It's just that with GT, Akira Toriyama wasn't involved and I guess he's the only one allowed to bend the logic.

I'm not trying to convince anyone that GT is better. I'm usually in the minority with anything i'm interested in. I just enjoy GT more than DBZ. More exciting, pleasing to the eye.

Back