S.H.FiguArts Dragonball Z figures!!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't see how "2.0 issue" would solve the problem. I imagine it would be even worse than a simple reissue by making the 1st release obsolete and lose almost all of its value, which is something Tamashii wants to keep intact for their consumers.

If Tamashii is looking to keep consumers in tact, they can certainly HELP themselves by re-releasing wanted figures like Vegeta, Trunks, etc. :lol

Bandai/Tamashii makes NO MONEY off of Figuarts Vegeta and Trunks anymore. They sold their entire stock to retailers, customers, etc. The value of those figures has NO IMPACT on Bandai/Tamashii anymore so it makes no difference whether the figures are worth $30 or $300. To them, they've already made their money on those figures. They don't get ANY cuts off of current Vegeta, Trunks, SSJ3 Goku sales. That value is set by the retailers and resellers because those figures are wanted and in demand and COLLECTORS are willing to pay it. Why should Tamashii care about the current market value of Vegeta, Trunks, SSJ3 Goku?

Why should they do a SSJ Vegeta 2.0? Several reasons.

1) As long as they hide behind the "Web Exclusive" Policy, it gives them a reason to do a "new" figure and not "break" their Web Exclusive honor mumbo jumbo.

2) Improve upon the original/Correct errors. Vegeta's boot-tips didn't have the yellow tips which are accurate to that version of the character. They could "fix" this with a new release.

3) High demand for this incarnation of the character.
Guaranteed profits and sales. Look at how much SSJ Vegeta has skyrocketed in price and how a counterfeit company has taken advantage of that.

4) Datong/Counterfeiters have dug into their business with their counterfeits. Recognizing the customer demand, counterfeiters are now taking potential Tamashii profits away by making replicas of the highly sought-after figures like SSJ Vegeta.

5) Newer molds and parts could be used on future versions of Vegeta (lower body could work for a Buu Saga Vegeta, gloves, etc.), Trunks (Saiyan armor version, much like Ultimate Gohan uses Goku's body) and other Figuarts. Just cause it isn't DBZ doesn't mean a similar character in another line might use the same molds.

haha prolly not, next topic is "what's your most wanted figure?" with Majin Vegeta dominating once again :lol

To touch upon the "2.0" question, this is something Hot Toys and even Good Smile Company/Max Factory has been doing.

Early on, Hot Toys started with some crappy sculpts and poor likenesses as well as a license issues. Heck, most of their early figures didn't even have the license to use the actor's likeness. For example, on their first Terminator figure, they did damage all around the face so you couldn't tell it was Arnold and that's how the licensor approved the figure. Aside from that, they were just starting to understand how to make high quality 12-inch production-level figures and blend that with quality sculpts, costumes, and other details. They had a LONG road to go but had put out enough product to show they had promise and made great profits. On top of that, Howard Chan (Creator/CEO of Hot Toys) is a collector and fan himself so HE wanted to get better, he wanted his products to be better and he wanted his company to grow and get better. The Hot Toys of TODAY is 100x better than they used to be. I'm not going to dig up pics, but go do an image search on some of their early releases.

When Hot Toys got to a point in recent years where they had vastly improved upon their quality sculpts, paints, factory relationships, etc. Howard Chan had them "revisit" some of their earlier figures and redo them. Hence, we got the Scar Predator 2.0, Celtic Predator 2.0 (their first Predator figures), the Elder Predator 2.0, City Hunter 2.0, and they also redid Robocop figures that were some of their earlier releases and even finally made Terminator figures featuring Arnold's likeness. They vastly improved upon the originals because there was lots of room for improvement and corrections from what they did in the past, to the capabilities they have NOW.

Now, I'm not 100% knowledgeable on GSC's approach to this but I assume it's somewhat similar. Wanting to improve on what they did in the past and perhaps implement features, details and articulation that they're better at NOW than when they were a few years ago.

One example is their FATE/Zero/Staynight/Whatever Saber figure.

Here's the original from 2011:
figma Saber: Armor Ver.

And here's their upcoming 2.0 version for 2015:
figma Saber 2.0

I don't take people who buy these things for their monetary value into account when I form my opinion, sorry. I also don't think it'd make much difference if they rereleased something or gave it an upgraded release. The value of the former would fall anyway. But maybe hot toys collecters can chime in on this, but plenty of companies do it and the few people that wine because they suddenly own something that's worth less... yeah sorry, uh this isn't about your freakin mortgage, pension, car or a milion dollar comic book. I just don't care about this attitude. These things aren't relics or gold bars. They're action figures with a retail price lower than what you pay for a hip new pair of pants around here. Don't buy this stuff for its value, buy stuff because you wanna own that stuff. That's where I come from. Feel free to disagree. Sorry if it feels demeaning to some, but this isn't a freakin diamond exchange. I prefer some more perspective. If you're gonna rerelease something anyway, might as well improve it. Simple as that in my eyes.

To boot, for diehard collectors the 2.0 version would be worth getting, as you could tell one release apart from the other. Whereas a simple rerelease would solely devalue the product... As soon as they release a new ssj vegeta, the old one will start to skydive in price, doesn't really matter what they do. They will release some form of ssj vegeta at some point in time (unless tamashii's 'totes cra-cra' ) and then you can kiss your 600$ scalper paycheck goodbye.

As far as I'm concerned the sooner, the better. :impatient:

I'm not saying your opinion has to take it into account, I certainly don't, but isn't that the entire point of Tamashii's web exclusivity on this specific line is so collectors don't feel "threatened" by the devalue of their collectible through reissues? Or are those opinions mainly created by those actual collectors and the entire "Integrity/Honor" ******** only coming from Tamashii?

I agree. When a collectible becomes a commodity it takes away the enjoyment of that specific collectible. At least, that's how I view it. I feel there should be an improvement in the simplest ways but only if the original was defected to begin with. For example, if they reissue Scouter Vegeta, no matter what they NEED to improve his legs. (They did with SDCC Vegeta.)

Hm, it could go both ways but devalue and becoming obsolete are two different aspects to look at. Yes, a reissue would devalue the product but to collectors there are important factors of the product that gives it value, especially the brown shipping box. If Bluefin/Tamashii were to remove that from the reissue, it won't take away said value as much. 2.0 version would make the 1.0 version completely obsolete and not even desirable. Why have an outdated version when you can get the better one? Plus, I would rather they focus that attention of improvement on an entirely separate new release; Super Vegeta.

Bluefin just tweeted they're out of Broly. So sick.

I think Blood you can start pinning a wedding date. You know, for Nappa?

Out of Broly? Wow, I hope Bluefin/ Tamashii picks up the production numbers on future figure to prevent them from selling out so quickly... Wasnt Broly just released?

Honestly, I have zero sympathy for those out simply to collect to make money. Everyone on here knows how I feel about this topic, but basically, in a good few years these figures will be worth alot regardless of reissues just now, so no one can moan about them based on some fake exclusive BS.

If Tamashii is looking to keep consumers in tact, they can certainly HELP themselves by re-releasing wanted figures like Vegeta, Trunks, etc. :lol

Bandai/Tamashii makes NO MONEY off of Figuarts Vegeta and Trunks anymore. They sold their entire stock to retailers, customers, etc. The value of those figures has NO IMPACT on Bandai/Tamashii anymore so it makes no difference whether the figures are worth $30 or $300. To them, they've already made their money on those figures. They don't get ANY cuts off of current Vegeta, Trunks, SSJ3 Goku sales. That value is set by the retailers and resellers because those figures are wanted and in demand and COLLECTORS are willing to pay it. Why should Tamashii care about the current market value of Vegeta, Trunks, SSJ3 Goku?

Why should they do a SSJ Vegeta 2.0? Several reasons.

1) As long as they hide behind the "Web Exclusive" Policy, it gives them a reason to do a "new" figure and not "break" their Web Exclusive honor mumbo jumbo.

2) Improve upon the original/Correct errors. Vegeta's boot-tips didn't have the yellow tips which are accurate to that version of the character. They could "fix" this with a new release.

3) High demand for this incarnation of the character.
Guaranteed profits and sales. Look at how much SSJ Vegeta has skyrocketed in price and how a counterfeit company has taken advantage of that.

4) Datong/Counterfeiters have dug into their business with their counterfeits. Recognizing the customer demand, counterfeiters are now taking potential Tamashii profits away by making replicas of the highly sought-after figures like SSJ Vegeta.

5) Newer molds and parts could be used on future versions of Vegeta (lower body could work for a Buu Saga Vegeta, gloves, etc.), Trunks (Saiyan armor version, much like Ultimate Gohan uses Goku's body) and other Figuarts. Just cause it isn't DBZ doesn't mean a similar character in another line might use the same molds.

Well that goes without argument. :lol

They SHOULD care that an out dated policy is leaving out the majority of a continuously growing market.

1.)/2.) There was nothing to improve Super Saiyan Vegeta though. I've rarely heard negative comments about it. Why not take that time of improvements and focus them on Super Vegeta? Which should consist of many newly sculpted parts.

3.)/4.) The demand is only going to grow at this point. They KNOW that the demand is there and have even stated that they do. Datong was smart to swoop in and cater to that demand. It's just a shame that Tamashii didn't get to it first. Saiyan armor version Trunks would only work with Vegeta's body if it's young Future Trunks. They would need to sculpt a body that would be of similar height to Goku. (I believe that's how tall Trunks was after the Hyperbolic Time Chamber.)

@Bardoon about the 2.0. The only thing that I can imagine of improving their earlier releases would be more faces. If Manga Super Saiyan Goku sells out AGAIN, they could develop the 2.0 process and start from scratch. Manga Piccolo and Manga Super Saiyan Goku NEED more faces.

Will this discussion never end?

Yes, as soon as Tamashii chooses how they're addressing it.

@Bardoon oh **** I missed out on figma Archer it seems. Can you still get that for a descent price somewhere?

@Angelo Super Vegeta isn't a proper stand in for a standard ssj vegeta, so that doesn't apply. It's either got to be a rerelease or 2.0 version of the existing vegeta, or a majin vegeta. Otherwise it misses the mark; people want a normal good representation of ssj vegeta, it's that simple.

I don't care how tamashii addresses that demand, rerelease, retool or majin vegeta, but they need to do any of those three within 2015 imo.

Yes, as soon as Tamashii chooses how they're addressing it.

@Bardoon oh **** I missed out on figma Archer it seems. Can you still get that for a descent price somewhere?

@Angelo Super Vegeta isn't a proper stand in for a standard ssj vegeta, so that doesn't apply. It's either got to be a rerelease or 2.0 version of the existing vegeta, or a majin vegeta. Otherwise it misses the mark; people want a normal good representation of ssj vegeta, it's that simple.

I don't care how tamashii addresses that demand, rerelease, retool or majin vegeta, but they need to do any of those three within 2015 imo.

I don't think Majin Vegeta wouldn't suffice either. I would categorize him with Super Vegeta where it's a further evolution of a standard Super Saiyan Vegeta. World Tournament Saga Super Saiyan Vegeta would be a better example but I understand what you mean.

What should Tamahsii do in 2015? Address the demand or release one of those figures?

I don't take people who buy these things for their monetary value into account when I form my opinion, sorry. I also don't think it'd make much difference if they rereleased something or gave it an upgraded release. The value of the former would fall anyway. But maybe hot toys collecters can chime in on this, but plenty of companies do it and the few people that wine because they suddenly own something that's worth less... yeah sorry, uh this isn't about your freakin mortgage, pension, car or a milion dollar comic book. I just don't care about this attitude. These things aren't relics or gold bars. They're action figures with a retail price lower than what you pay for a hip new pair of pants around here. Don't buy this stuff for its value, buy stuff because you wanna own that stuff. That's where I come from. Feel free to disagree. Sorry if it feels demeaning to some, but this isn't a freakin diamond exchange. I prefer some more perspective. If you're gonna rerelease something anyway, might as well improve it. Simple as that in my eyes.

To boot, for diehard collectors the 2.0 version would be worth getting, as you could tell one release apart from the other. Whereas a simple rerelease would solely devalue the product... As soon as they release a new ssj vegeta, the old one will start to skydive in price, doesn't really matter what they do. They will release some form of ssj vegeta at some point in time (unless tamashii's 'totes cra-cra' ) and then you can kiss your 600$ scalper paycheck goodbye.

As far as I'm concerned the sooner, the better. :impatient:
2.0.s don't really take away from the original's value, the original product is usually still worth something. Hot Toys DX01 Joker is still worth a lot of money even with the DX11 Joker 2.0. (also high in price) avaiable. Same with the DX02 Dark Knight Batman and DX12 Dark Knight Rises Batman. I can't speak of other lines like Figma, I know they have a few 2.0.s (Miku and Saber) that are identical to the original, just with updated articulation from what I saw. And either way, any sort of SSJ Vegeta, be it retool of the old Android Saga Mold or a Buu Saga Vegeta, will cause the old one to reduce in price so Silrian is right. The original Vegeta would still have some charm to people who want every release too. SDCC Piccolo sort of made the hard to find Manga version a bit moot since we had a more affordable version, while after the Manga version got another re-release the tables turned. But both versions still have their strong points and I had no problem buying both.

Out of Broly? Wow, I hope Bluefin/ Tamashii picks up the production numbers on future figure to prevent them from selling out so quickly... Wasnt Broly just released?

Yeah. These figs always sell out fast, but this tis the quickest for one to be completely sold out.

Yeah. These figs always sell out fast, but this tis the quickest for one to be completely sold out.

I think that has a lot to do with the quantity produced though. Those who bought from Bluefin directly were stating that it will be gone quickly due to the low production. Which has me worried that Tamashii doesn't know how big their market is or there's other factors to consider; popularity and future scalping to name a couple.

FSLAR is right. A 2.0 wouldn't damage the value of the original that much. Hot Toys has examples of that.

But you're also right Angelo. There is not much to improve upon with the current SSJ Vegeta figure.

The reason I bring up a 2.0 isn't to try and diminish the initial release, but the way Tamashii runs things right now, a Vegeta 2.0 is the only way I see of getting that version of Vegeta again.

Sorry Silrian, I don't collect Fate Figma but I'll keep an eye out!

P7180167-as-Smart-Object-1.jpg

Jan/Feb 2016, make it happen Tamashii!!!!!!

Back