S.H.FiguArts Dragonball Z figures!!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey guys, just wanted to say thanks and that I really enjoy the constructive conversations and debates we all have here in the DBZ thread. I feel a lot of the other collectible threads here sort of devolve into boring banter and endless gifs but we manage to keep it real here. :) Thanks everyone!

We've had endless discussions about how Tamashii hides behind their "Web Exclusive" rules and I think FSLAR hit the nail on the head. It just comes down to their Japanese "honor" culture. Bandai/Tamashii, I'm sure, is still run by the old school businessmen who believe in using traditional and polite words to stupefy their customer base into believing they won't do something because it goes against the "honor of their word". While I can respect the THOUGHT behind that, let's be real...that's bad business to purposely NOT meet the HIGH demand of a WILLING & PAYING customer base. I just wish they would stop with the responses like that and stop thinking their audience would be so STUPID to believe it. Maybe the Japanese buy into it more, but I don't and I know most of us don't. They re-released the Figuarts ZERO SSJ Goku for "special circumstances".

The best response was from the American Bandai representative, Adam Newman. Where it is VAGUE, but at least he's blunt about stating there is "internal discussion" about the Web Exclusive policy in regards to re-issues and we'll see how it goes. That's a smart and perfectly acceptable answer to me, and an answer appropriate to a SMART and knowledgeable customer base like most of us here. While, I'm sure we'd love more details, I accept that it is a political and informed comment. Adam Newman "gets it". He knows he's talking to a Western audience that doesn't believe in all the Web Exclusive "honor" policy voodoo because we've SEEN Bandai break it before.

Perhaps Good Smile Company, being a "younger" collectible company than Bandai, adopts this mentality more. They KNOW they have a smart fanbase, they KNOW their fans are willing to shell out cash for re-issues, so they recognize the demand and meet it! Maybe when younger executives move up in Bandai/Tamashii, we'll get more of that mentality as well.

What other characters are you planning to collect? Specific ones or are you going to Pokemon it?

gonna pokemon it lol.But the one figure that really doesnt interest me is Cell.dont get me wrong I love the character and the saga but the figures face is just kinda off to me especially in the eyes.he looks too cartoony.I suck at describing.

getting android 18 next.I really want the ssj vegeta but damn i just cant see myself forking 250+ for a figure his size.I was hurting on the inside when I bought scouter vegeta and frieza lol.hopefully i can find a datong version.Oh i also got the knock off ssj goku 3 its currently in transit.Yeah and no way in hell am i gonna pay 300+ for a mustard color ssj goku.he is my least favorite looking figure in the figuarts dragonball z line.And yeah I know they were going for that glowing effect but it just doesnt work.love the effect parts though

Hey guys, just wanted to say thanks and that I really enjoy the constructive conversations and debates we all have here in the DBZ thread. I feel a lot of the other collectible threads here sort of devolve into boring banter and endless gifs but we manage to keep it real here. :) Thanks everyone!

We've had endless discussions about how Tamashii hides behind their "Web Exclusive" rules and I think FSLAR hit the nail on the head. It just comes down to their Japanese "honor" culture. Bandai/Tamashii, I'm sure, is still run by the old school businessmen who believe in using traditional and polite words to stupefy their customer base into believing they won't do something because it goes against the "honor of their word". While I can respect the THOUGHT behind that, let's be real...that's bad business to purposely NOT meet the HIGH demand of a WILLING & PAYING customer base. I just wish they would stop with the responses like that and stop thinking their audience would be so STUPID to believe it. Maybe the Japanese buy into it more, but I don't and I know most of us don't. They re-released the Figuarts ZERO SSJ Goku for "special circumstances".

The best response was from the American Bandai representative, Adam Newman. Where it is VAGUE, but at least he's blunt about stating there is "internal discussion" about the Web Exclusive policy in regards to re-issues and we'll see how it goes. That's a smart and perfectly acceptable answer to me, and an answer appropriate to a SMART and knowledgeable customer base like most of us here. While, I'm sure we'd love more details, I accept that it is a political and informed comment. Adam Newman "gets it". He knows he's talking to a Western audience that doesn't believe in all the Web Exclusive "honor" policy voodoo because we've SEEN Bandai break it before.

Perhaps Good Smile Company, being a "younger" collectible company than Bandai, adopts this mentality more. They KNOW they have a smart fanbase, they KNOW their fans are willing to shell out cash for re-issues, so they recognize the demand and meet it! Maybe when younger executives move up in Bandai/Tamashii, we'll get more of that mentality as well.

Interesting analysis.

Anytime! :lol

I feel Broly is going to change everything in regards to how Tamashii views this line. Broly's pre-sales were a wake-up call that Tamashii simply can't avoid. I understand that "honor" is a very important aspect in their business ethics but it's clearly out dated when the actual market demands otherwise. That demand will only become louder and louder as the years go by and make the initial market they developed that policy for seem absolutely irrelevant.

Gohan came out in 2010 right? Probably almost 5 years if we don't count the SDCC Exclusive (2012)

gonna pokemon it lol.But the one figure that really doesnt interest me is Cell.dont get me wrong I love the character and the saga but the figures face is just kinda off to me especially in the eyes.he looks too cartoony.I suck at describing.

No worries, it's understandable. A few of us decide to Pokemon it while others choose to collect specific characters. It's all good. We're all collectors in the end.

getting android 18 next.I really want the ssj vegeta but damn i just cant see myself forking 250+ for a figure his size.I was hurting on the inside when I bought scouter vegeta and frieza lol.hopefully i can find a datong version.Oh i also got the knock off ssj goku 3 its currently in transit.Yeah and no way in hell am i gonna pay 300+ for a mustard color ssj goku.he is my least favorite looking figure in the figuarts dragonball z line.And yeah I know they were going for that glowing effect but it just doesnt work.love the effect parts though

I hear you about Super Saiyan Vegeta. Him and SDCC Super Saiyan Goku are the two figures that I refuse to pay a lot for. Mostly based on what the package includes and whether or not I'm satisfied with alternatives; Manga and Datong.

Let us know about the Super Saiyan 3 Goku! I believe most of us, myself included, were very interested in the product.

Gohan came out in 2010 right? Probably almost 5 years if we don't count the SDCC Exclusive (2012)

It almost seems like Tamashii was waiting for an excuse to reissue him. I wonder what this line would look like without Battle of Gods being released since that appears to have been the key marketing strategy for the resurgence of the Dragon Ball Z market.

Ah, that looks better. Still has a younger looking face on the right but I'm going to go along with it being another attire for Gohan. ...The glasses is a weird touch. I wonder if it's similar to a Clark Kent disguise.

I think that's what he's going for. It was clear to me he was making fun of the Clark Kent disguise with Videl. She gets it pretty much immediately in the manga. And Gohan's disguise was MUCH better!

Vegeta
Frieza Saga
- Normal
Cell (Games) Saga
- Super Vegeta
World Tournament/Buu Saga
- Normal and Super Saiyan
- Majin Vegeta
Revival of F
- Normal
- Super Saiyan God (if that happens)

Anybody else have any ideas?

I really want all of those. I'd buy Badman and battle damaged Saiyan saga too!

I would be completely fine if they gave us a Namek Vegeta and threw in a SSJ head. I don't mind if he didn't wear that outfit while in SSJ. It's close enough and it would be great for a revenge Freeza display!

Goku is my favorite fictional character, but I'd be good with just these two. And that would stand if we never got any Goku's!
1. Saiyan arc w/ Kinto-un and Nyoibo
2. Battle Damaged SSJ Namek

Found this online, it's really cool...

10891558_331136410412129_7401793902391714614_n.jpg

It's a compilation but it's a cool mirror photo. If Vegeta were in his Frieza Saga armor, it'd be perfect.

Thanks for posting! That's really cool!

I think that's what he's going for. It was clear to me he was making fun of the Clark Kent disguise with Videl. She gets it pretty much immediately in the manga. And Gohan's disguise was MUCH better!

I really want all of those. I'd buy Badman and battle damaged Saiyan saga too!

I would be completely fine if they gave us a Namek Vegeta and threw in a SSJ head. I don't mind if he didn't wear that outfit while in SSJ. It's close enough and it would be great for a revenge Freeza display!

Goku is my favorite fictional character, but I'd be good with just these two. And that would stand if we never got any Goku's!
1. Saiyan arc w/ Kinto-un and Nyoibo
2. Battle Damaged SSJ Namek

Thanks for posting! That's really cool!

Is there anything in the Manga that didn't transfer over to the Anime? In regards to anything.

Yeah, any attire would be cool to see. I was mostly going towards clean, battle, action attires. I would really like to see Tamashii go into battle damaged attires at some point in the future. Maybe test the waters with Frieza Saga Super Saiyan Goku or even Saiyan Saga Goku.

I have no doubt that Tamashii will eventually develop the current movie attires. As I mentioned before, it really jump started the Dragon Ball Z market all over. I'm still waiting for an attire that catches my interest though from these movies. :tap

I looked it up as Nimbus and his bo staff. (I believe that's what it is, right?) I haven't made the Goku list, yet. Super Saiyan 4 Goku is my favorite version of him so I kind of skipped over him and went straight to Vegeta. :lol

No problem! I'm glad somebody else thought it was cool!

Took a while, but it's neat that it happened. Still buying multiples anyway.

You have any idea what displays you're going to use him in? I've decided on three; Father/Son Kamehameha, side-by-side with Piccolo, and getting beaten up by Broly. I've only ordered one for now though.

You have any idea what displays you're going to use him in? I've decided on three; Father/Son Kamehameha, side-by-side with Piccolo, and getting beaten up by Broly. I've only ordered one for now though.

Not exactly displays but 3 so far. One for SS, one for SS2, and one for a non SS head.

@Angelo2113 The problem is that in the anime it adds a bunch of scenes which, ironically, takes away from the plot and characters. In the manga, Freeza is my favorite villain by far, but the anime spreads that arc out so much, I couldn't wait for it to end! Mr. Satan is great in the manga, but in the anime he's worst than Jar Jar Binks with his intrusions! It just makes the characters incompetent or takes away from surprises. For an example, when Goku and Gohan are doing the Kamehameha, there is no scene with Vegeta whining or going SSJ. It doesn't show him standing around while others stand around for awhile talking about how they're going to help, but not doing anything for awhile. Instead you see them do the Kamehameha, and you see non-SSJ Vegeta immediately coming to help using his last strength. It was a surprise in the manga, because you didn't know he recovered from Cell taking him out.

Well, hopefully Freeza's new form meets your fancy! I'm sorry you're not a fan. I like them! I'm just bummed that we're going to have to wait until 2016 or so until Funimation releases it on Blu Ray. I really hope there's no more of this "Well I guess you're stronger than me, so I'm not even going to bother fighting anymore" from Battle of Gods! I want the Goku that shoots Oozaru Vegeta in the eye on his way out!

Sharing a couple shots of my current collection. Android 17, Piccolo, Krillin, JacksDo Trunks head and Bootleg SS3 Goku (from eBay) on the way. Vegetto, Android 16 and Gohan are on Pre-Order. My SSVegeta is JACKSDO, my Scouter Vegeta is Datong and my Frieza Saga Vegeta is a legit Scouter Vegeta but one of the bottom armor pieces broke off so he got modded.

1acW0cU.jpg

Jy1uG59.jpg

NeKCv41.jpg

kpLOgZV.jpg

AAF7UqA.jpg

Xpiyeri.jpg

cy1YU8Q.jpg

eZSGYIs.jpg

TDue8Gb.jpg

pQUTcGj.jpg

That's a damn nice collection Xerowolf! I like your Namek Vegeta. I wish I had as much space to display mine as you do.

You should use the spare head (the scouter wearing one) from the legit Scouter Vegeta on your Datong. The face is often the place where the bootlegness shows the most.

Thanks for recognizing what I said, appreciate it :hi5: the other thing about honor is their idea about is pretty selfish - they are doing what benefits only them and is not for the good of everyone. The other thing is maybe the Japanese buy into it, but the line in a sense is more so about America. The line almost died in Japan, but America brought back its interest. So why should we be shafted? Why should we have to still go by the Japanese way? The DBZ line has already sort of integrated into America in a few ways, such as how the web exclusive boxes have English, but the regular releases are in Japanese, same with other lines like Iron Man and Sailor Moon.

We've been over FiguartsZero Goku, and I think it was because there was such a gap between him and Trunks, the second FiguartsZero. So there may not have been interest at that time, BUT now, this applies to SSJ Vegeta and Trunks. There's such interest in the line now, and those being re-released again would be great for everyone. The other thing is, we have not heard a thing on the web exclusive re-release policy since then. Bluefin said 'baby steps' or something, but we haven't heard it.

I'd compare Good Smile Company more to Tamashii than Bandai itself. Bandai has multiple divisions I think, but Tamashii is basically action figure (Figuarts, D-Arts and MonsterArts), statue (Figuarts Zero), and only now branching out into new products like prop replicas (proplicas), and chibis/trading figures (Tamashii Buddies). GSC also is sorta like that with Nendoriods, statues, and how they handle the Max Factory Figmas and statues (getting exclusive things on there and being highly associated with Max Factory) but yeah, you're right about the mentality. It's not like GSC hasn't had issues though, some of their products had licensing problems recently. But they work to fix their problems; if Tamashii had a similar issue with Nendoriod Red with something else, they may not have bothered.

@Angelo2113 The problem is that in the anime it adds a bunch of scenes which, ironically, takes away from the plot and characters. In the manga, Freeza is my favorite villain by far, but the anime spreads that arc out so much, I couldn't wait for it to end! Mr. Satan is great in the manga, but in the anime he's worst than Jar Jar Binks with his intrusions! It just makes the characters incompetent or takes away from surprises. For an example, when Goku and Gohan are doing the Kamehameha, there is no scene with Vegeta whining or going SSJ. It doesn't show him standing around while others stand around for awhile talking about how they're going to help, but not doing anything for awhile. Instead you see them do the Kamehameha, and you see non-SSJ Vegeta immediately coming to help using his last strength. It was a surprise in the manga, because you didn't know he recovered from Cell taking him out.

Well, hopefully Freeza's new form meets your fancy! I'm sorry you're not a fan. I like them! I'm just bummed that we're going to have to wait until 2016 or so until Funimation releases it on Blu Ray. I really hope there's no more of this "Well I guess you're stronger than me, so I'm not even going to bother fighting anymore" from Battle of Gods! I want the Goku that shoots Oozaru Vegeta in the eye on his way out!

Yeah, a few parts are stretched out quite a bit. It's a lot better to watch them all back-to-back rather than an episode a day. I've wondered why Mr. Satan is such a popular character. I freaking hate him most of the time he's on screen. He's a fun character but they use him at the worst times. I just got done with the Cell Games Saga and getting Season 7 and 8 tomorrow. I know he gets a lot of character development during those seasons. Does Vegeta say that he's sorry to Gohan in the Manga? I really liked that scene.

I'm looking forward to Frieza's new transformation! I hope it's an actual transformation, too. I like Beerus and Whis but I feel there's so much more for them to be developed to really have my continuous interest. I know, it's upsetting. I may have to watch the movie in subtitles even though Goku sounds horrible. Goku looks like he'll get his ass handed to him. I have a feeling Vegeta is going to be the one who comes out on top in this movie.

Vegeta benefited the most from the anime in my opinion, he was rarely in filler and a lot of his scenes were great, like Super Perfect Cell.

Back