roll my blues studio

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roll my blues

Freakalicious
Reaction score
I’ll admit that there’s no studio, just a messy end of my kitchen (good thing I don’t cook). You’re not going to see anything new here but I thought this was the perfect place to find knowledgeable feedback.

I’m really enjoying head sculpt painting as a hobby and I would like to improve for my own enjoyment. I can see general areas for improvement but besides time and practice I don’t know specific ways to improve. There’s only so much I can read about this, I just have to DO. So constructive feedback is welcome. Thanks everyone.

This is my seventh head sculpt paint. I thought Ben would be good practice because of the beard. Trying to improve on how hair meets flesh.

ben01.jpg

ben02.jpg
ben03.jpg

ben04.jpg

Really nice work... honestly I think you are doing a great job for only being 7 heads in.

Only thing is the eyes look a little off... very neat and clean, but maybe the iris is a tad undersized. Either way off to an amazing start.

One thing is to add some images that approximate the actual size, what I'm seeing may look great in hand, but when you blow them up its easier to see things.

One thing is to add some images that approximate the actual size, what I'm seeing may look great in hand, but when you blow them up its easier to see things.

Thats cause he is fearless !

Great work m8 giving some of the Master painters on here a run for their money ! well done

I'd be fearless too if I painted that good :lol I personally like to see lifesize images, helps to imagine what it'd look like in person. But, I may be funny that way :lol

I recently painted this one up. You did a good job with him. I use a small brush size 10/0 for fine detail such as hair and eyes. Study different skin tones as well. That always helped me out. One note you may want to go back and add bits of gray to his hair and beard.

Great job! :chew

Great paint job. Just one little thing the right eye has that cat eye effect, or it just might be the angle not sure. Easy fix if so, but other than that 100% better then SS. I'd love to see more of your work.
cats_eye_blow_up.jpg

I never thought about the image size. Just plain logic.

ben05.jpg

And I definitely see the issues with the eyes. I'll keep those things in mind for next time. It's stating the obvious to say that they're tough.

Thanks everyone, I truly appreciate it. I love checking out the work here and I should be more vocal about it. Lot of inspiration and advice. And thanks again to Mooncat for getting me into this mess! Haha. :wacky

I recently painted this one up. You did a good job with him. I use a small brush size 10/0 for fine detail such as hair and eyes. Study different skin tones as well. That always helped me out. One note you may want to go back and add bits of gray to his hair and beard.

Great job! :chew

I've spent a lot of evenings in the past few weeks browsing through your thread looking at pics and trying to reverse engineer how you do what you do. Yours and others, I like to be a well rounded spy. :rolleyes: So I really appreciate you dropping by with advice.

The beard is outstanding! You've got like a darker flesh tone framing the beard which is great for giving it a pop, but I think you could curb it back just a wee bit on his right side by extending the cheek flesh tone into it. His left side is about the right amount though.

Eyes are tricky. I think the eye issue here is two fold. The cat eye on his right eye -- which can be fixed by a little blue to curb off the iris. But what I'm picking up is that his right eye is looking off to the right while his left eye seems to look forward.

All around, great job!

Great work mate. I'm new to this hobby my self and was wondering what paints are you using for the flesh tones?

Haha, the eyes are a bit of a mind game too. Because I have so much room for improvement, its easy to drop the brush and say that I'm done because it looks better than what I've done previously. I instead need to keep pushing myself forward instead of being satisfied with "better than last time".

Great work mate. I'm new to this hobby my self and was wondering what paints are you using for the flesh tones?

This one was a mix of Model Master Acryl Light Flesh Tone Base and a bit of Citadel Tallarn Flesh. From there on it was experimenting.

You can't go wrong with the Model Masters. They come highly recommended and are my personal favorites but I can only get them at a hobby shop an hour away. I need a trip there soon.

This one was a mix of Model Master Acryl Light Flesh Tone Base and a bit of Citadel Tallarn Flesh. From there on it was experimenting.

You can't go wrong with the Model Masters. They come highly recommended and are my personal favorites but I can only get them at a hobby shop an hour away. I need a trip there soon.

Thanks man.. I just order a few bottles of model master acryl.. cant wait to get them. :chew

Back