Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (12/16/16) *SPOILERS*

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Rogue one: Spoilers confirmed! You are warned do not read these are real

Man, I think the description for Saw's character and his dialogue only gave them the option of Forrest Whittaker. That guy can not play anything straight. It's always odd choices with him.

Re: Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (12/16/16) *NO SPOILERS ALLOWED*

3 x already lol

Where is your review, i'm waiting.

In the "Rate or Review the Last Movie You Watched" thread. :tap

Rogue One in 15/70 2D IMAX (2016)

Initial rating: 9/10

Final 30 minutes of the movie: 11/10

I was blown away by details both major and minor in this film and consider it to possibly be the new high water mark for prequels, not just in Star Wars, but any franchise, any genre. I knew that I'd enjoy it if it was at least as good as ROTJ, and even if it wasn't I figured it'd still be at worst another "Genisys," an enjoyable movie but not one I accept as canon. R1 far, FAR exceeded my expectations. It almost had no right to be this good.

:D

Re: Star Wars stand-alone/spin-off films discussion

Bumping yesterday's post:

I can't imagine this film looking better than it did in 15/70 2D IMAX but for those who saw it in 3D what did you think of that presentation?

I didn't care for 2014 Godzilla's 3D conversion, was it decent for Rogue One?

Final 30 minutes of the movie: 11/10
:D
:lol
:rotfl

(I do agree though)

The 3D was fantastic for at least the last 30 minutes of the movie, the rest not so much.
The space battle and ground battle were fantastic with added depth.

WOW, very cool!

Why not in the movie thread though, I never go in that other one lol.

3D only good last 30 minutes.

I still think the At-At falling down in ESB had more weight to it than the At-Act the X-Wings destroyed in RO.

Still though, last 30-40 minutes made up for the slower going first and 2nd act.

I love the ending to this. Almost had me in tears, and chewblacca ain't no girly man!

I had a tear or two with "Force Priest" and "Friend Gun Man". "look to the force, you will find me there"
Baaaaahhhh Wahhaaaaaaahhhh..... spills popcorn..

Re: Rogue one: Spoilers confirmed! You are warned do no read these are real

I thought Rogue One evoked elements of both Chris Nolan and James Cameron in their prime. The flashbacks with young Jyn and stunning location shoots for both the opening prologue and initial rescue of Jyn felt Nolan-esque to me and then each supporting character getting a cool and unique death with the male hero being wounded at the end reminded me of 80's Cameron.

Though Cameron clearly would have found a way for Jyn to have a one on one with a battle-damaged Vader at the end. ;)

I got to see the movie this weekend and loved it! But it did make me sad thinking of how the prequels could have been handled so much better. They could have been beyond amazing...sigh. Anyway, my one major change would have been cgi Tarkin and Leia. CGI people are still not real enough to work in a live action movie. The only way it works is if you have the actual actor to mo cap and they still look somewhat like their younger self. Otherwise, just get good actors that look the part. Tarkin, especially, should have been played by a real person. That's just way too much screen time and he's too big of a part of the story to go cgi at this point. It takes me out of the movie and why not get someone like Charles Dance to step in and add real weight to the role?

For me it was the most Star Wars-like film since 1983 - and yes, that includes the two Ewok movies alongside the PT. :lol

The only things I didn't like were:

The Stormtrooper design

The Death Trooper design

The manual access required for the archive - I know it's a long time ago, but shouldn't that have been an automated procedure, or a flying droid?

K-2SO starting to say, “I have a bad feeling about this.”

WOW, very cool!

Why not in the movie thread though, I never go in that other one lol.

3D only good last 30 minutes.

I didn't know if the movie was being savaged in its own thread so I just posted my thoughts in the Review thread for starters.

Good to hear about the 3D in the last 30 minutes Rorywan and jye! I'll definitely have to make an excuse to catch it in digital IMAX then. :)

I'm way behind on Rogue One discussion so I don't know how far back those DiFabio posts are but I've always for the most part agreed with his assessment of ROTJ's shortcomings. Pretty much everything he describes above mirror my own problems with the film. Vader, Han, Fett, Leia in the Ewok village, just so many examples of previous badasses being totally neutered in the interest of conveniently wrapping everything up.

I even totally agree about the static and uninspired lighting and shot composition from beginning to end (and don't even get me started on that unforgivably half-assed Falcon matte painting when 1:1 Falcon exteriors already appeared in both the previous films.)

But...I forgive it because of the brilliant second unit footage (Space Battle FTW), Williams' score, and a multitude of enduring iconography (Jabba, Rancor, Sarlacc, Leia's bikini, speeder bikes, etc.) and a strong line-up of secondary characters like Ackbar and Wedge.

Basically sums up my feelings also... Add in Luke getting the upper hand on vader (and that iconic Williams Music during that scene) and Vader choosing Luke over the Emperor (again Iconic music) to that list of good things.

Like I said.. Only reason I am not giving RO a spot above ROTJ is because I need to see it a few more times.. Its a better movie.. But is it a better SW movie?

Still though, last 30-40 minutes made up for the slower going first and 2nd act.

I wouldn't want every SW film to follow the same pace as RO but for this one the slow burn to a jaw droppingly epic finale *really* worked IMO.

I know that Disney is allowing the prequels to be "canon" but so much of Rogue One's plot hinging on the expertise and knowledge of Galen Erso without the slightest mention of Poggle the Lesser or Geonosians sure *felt* like a retcon, and a welcome one at that.

I know that Disney is allowing the prequels to be "canon" but so much of Rogue One's plot hinging on the expertise and knowledge of Galen Erso without the slightest mention of Poggle the Lesser or Geonosians sure *felt* like a retcon, and a welcome one at that.

:lecture

Rogue One out-Lucased Lucas.

Without specifically erasing three films (which are still a source for merchandizing) they may well move on with as little mention of them as possible. :pray:

I wouldn't be surprised if Lucas literally **** himself watching Cassian blow away the scared informant in cold blood before ultimately becoming a good guy. :lol

Made the roguish Han look tame by comparison. :lol

But you can see how films are a product of their age. The PT was around the time for inventing a case for war in Iraq. RO is now in the age of terror, and brutal measures have to be taken to maintain the security of the 'civilized' world.

Yeah, and it was interesting to see why there were so few x-wings in the original Death Star battle.

I wouldn't be surprised if Lucas literally **** himself watching Cassian blow away the scared informant in cold blood before ultimately becoming a good guy. :lol

Thank **** we'll never see the informant shooting first.

EDIT: Crap, I'm getting confused which RO thread I'm in. Moved my response to the Spoiler thread.

Back