Regulations for comradios in California?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CyberVillain

Super Freak
Reaction score
Hi guys.
I'm going on a road trip with a few friends in CA.
We will buy a pair of com radios because we are going to be two in two separate convertibles.

Since you guys are so afraid of terrorist and so on, do you have any special regulations regarding com radios?

The ones I got are 20 dollar cheapo stuff with a range of 3 km.

I believe that the regulations on those are federal and that there is no state regulating of them. And there are no regulations on the weaker ones. I think the 2 mile ones that you have come in under the radar.

And on a side note. I do not know of any actual enforcement of any of the regulations even on the more powerful ones like I have. I don't think you have a worry in the world about it.

Last edited:
Everybody goes from not having the information to having the information at some point.

Myself...I didn't even know there were regulations for these until I bought my current set about two years ago. But I have been using mine and other people's for work for years.

Edit - Effectively...if you are using channels 1-14...you do not need the license. If you are using channels 15-22...you are supposed to have a license issued by the FCC.

As I mentioned before...I know of no enforcement.

Last edited:
Cool, sounds like the same regulations that we have here in Sweden/EU. Thanks dude.

Dont want Homeland security officers down my neck :D

Last year when I went to Florida the HS officer that looked at my passport when i arrived was really rude and suspicious. He didn't liked the fact that I had a stamp from Cambodia. When I said that i really liked the country he got even more suspicious :lol

He let me in to the US first when I explained I was there to look at old temples, not to conspire with the remnant forces of the Red Khmer :p

Back