Ready to take my Predator collection to the next level!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which Predator 1 should I get?

• Cinemaquette Predator (CM) get the big one!

Votes: 27 42.9%
  • Sideshow Maquette--this is all you need

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Sideshow exclusive maquette--you need the helmet

Votes: 13 20.6%
  • Neither too expensive just hot toys is enough

Votes: 12 19.0%
  • FTW, both! sell your kids

Votes: 10 15.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
i don't think there's much point in collecting statues. they're just big dust-collecting paperweights. i always get bored with the static poses and end up going back to posable figures. besides, the 1:6 medium has really been taking off recently and the quality is catching up with statues anyway.

I think in this case its a size issue, and worth the upgrade. I also love Hot Toys, and have many HT preds in the collection.

I like both maquettes but, I went with the CM Pred.. It's just a more powerful piece over all.

i don't think there's much point in collecting statues. they're just big dust-collecting paperweights. i always get bored with the static poses and end up going back to posable figures. besides, the 1:6 medium has really been taking off recently and the quality is catching up with statues anyway.

its about the artistic approach and detail with statues for most people. They just represent so much realism to the subject matter when done right. it just depends on if you want something for its artistic value or just something you want to play with. i guess all statues are paperweights, but what do i know :rolleyes:.

Go big or go home! go with the CM pred! Keep in mind, they are both hella pricey so you might as well get the CM

I went with the CM pred since the SS Ex Maquette will cost as much as the CM pred, if I can even find one.

Cinemaquette! I would if I had space :(

EDIT- Irrelevant content.

Last edited by a moderator:
its about the artistic approach and detail with statues for most people. They just represent so much realism to the subject matter when done right. it just depends on if you want something for its artistic value or just something you want to play with. i guess all statues are paperweights, but what do i know :rolleyes:.
HT figures are high-end collectibles, not action figures, and nobody "plays with" them. it's just nice to have a good representation of a character that isn't in one static pose. as for the "realism" thing, the CM pred isn't very accurate and i'd argue that HT's figure sculptors are just as talented, if not more so, than most statue producers.

HT figures are high-end collectibles, not action figures, and nobody "plays with" them. it's just nice to have a good representation of a character that isn't in one static pose. as for the "realism" thing, the CM pred isn't very accurate and i'd argue that HT's figure sculptors are just as talented, if not more so, than most statue producers.

the cm pred was never meant to be accurate, thats not what realism means. Yea, its not accurate to whats seen on film, but it presents more realism than a HT figure. if HT figures arent action figures, then what defines an action figure? Im not saying there bad, i have a couple, but they dont even compare to a high end statue when comparing realism and detail. HT are exactly that, toys, action figures, dolls, whatever you wanna call them, there high end toys. i see people constantly posing them with other toys, so i consider that playing with them. I never said HT sculptors werent great at what they do, but its there job to make high end, collectible toys. If they were allowed to put more detail into them and sell at a higher price, im sure they would.

A true step up to a Predator collection has to be professionally painted kits. In the end all pre-paints are mass produced items. Only way to get prototype level paint job is to commission someone such as Joe Dunaway to paint you a pred kit. If you can afford to go this route, even HT and SSC seem like mid-end collection in comparison.
Check these out if you're not familiar with Joe Dunaway's paint work:

bld7.jpg

ag9.jpg

predelder.jpg

Here's Joe Dunaway's Portfolio with tons more amazing work. There's got to be like a hundred of these on his website, could take you an hour just to view them all :monkey1:
https://www.modelzone.com/mangrasshopper/index.php?level=collection&id=2

--

Last edited:
the cm pred was never meant to be accurate, thats not what realism means. Yea, its not accurate to whats seen on film, but it presents more realism than a HT figure. if HT figures arent action figures, then what defines an action figure? Im not saying there bad, i have a couple, but they dont even compare to a high end statue when comparing realism and detail. HT are exactly that, toys, action figures, dolls, whatever you wanna call them, there high end toys. i see people constantly posing them with other toys, so i consider that playing with them. I never said HT sculptors werent great at what they do, but its there job to make high end, collectible toys. If they were allowed to put more detail into them and sell at a higher price, im sure they would.

'Never meant to be' accurate just doesn't sit well with me. I just don't understand the reasoning behind 'setting out' to not make something as accurate to the source material as possible. This coming from a guy who doesn't even notice the innaccuracies half the time.

Also I think its arguable about Hot Toys not comparing to a statue for 'realism'. Sure the articulation joints are a bit of a giveaway but the sculpting and paintjob are now right up at the top these days. Just look at the recent reveal by Sideshow of a Galleria T-800 statue (least I think it was a statue). The Hot Toys figure dumps on it from a height, the board was unanimous on that. Maybe thats heavily biased, I'm open to seeing that challenged.

:lol:rotfl:lol:rotfl:lol malarkey! :lol

HT preds ARE action figures, albeit, high end action figures.

Get the SS EX maquette if you can find one without paying and arm and leg for it. The Major failing of the Cinemaquette for me is, it doesn't have a exchangable helmeted head. If it had that, I would own one.

'Never meant to be' accurate just doesn't sit well with me. I just don't understand the reasoning behind 'setting out' to not make something as accurate to the source material as possible. This coming from a guy who doesn't even notice the innaccuracies half the time.

Also I think its arguable about Hot Toys not comparing to a statue for 'realism'. Sure the articulation joints are a bit of a giveaway but the sculpting and paintjob are now right up at the top these days. Just look at the recent reveal by Sideshow of a Galleria T-800 statue (least I think it was a statue). The Hot Toys figure dumps on it from a height, the board was unanimous on that. Maybe thats heavily biased, I'm open to seeing that challenged.

:lol:rotfl:lol:rotfl:lol malarkey! :lol

Steve Wang made that cm statue based on his own interpretation of what the P1 should have looked like, so no, it was never meant to be accurate to the film..............most ppl already know this. Yea some HT do present more realism than some statues, but were comparing HT figures to real high end stuff here. It wouldnt be an upgrade to go from a $200 figure to a $260 statue in most peoples eyes.

A true step up to a Predator collection has to be professionally painted kits. In the end all pre-paints are mass produced items. Only way to get prototype level paint job is to commission someone such as Joe Dunaway to paint you a pred kit. If you can afford to go this route, even HT and SSC seem like mid-end collection in comparison.

--

I totally agree man the Narin kits are all very nice and depending how you paint it you would have a unique one, a one of a kind. They are a bit pricey but it will end up as expensive or just a bit more that the maquettes and you will get a fine collectible IMO!

Steve Wang made that cm statue based on his own interpretation of what the P1 should have looked like, so no, it was never meant to be accurate to the film..............most ppl already know this. Yea some HT do present more realism than some statues, but were comparing HT figures to real high end stuff here. It wouldnt be an upgrade to go from a $200 figure to a $260 statue in most peoples eyes.

For the amount of money Cinemaquette charged for that piece, there's no excuse for it not to be screen accurate. If I want an artist's interpretation of something, I'll go back to real high-end collecting and get back into oils and Japanese watercolors.

Back