RATE or REVIEW The Last Movie You Watched.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Phantom Menace - 7/10 The only PT one I like.

Sure, acting can get cringeworthy at times and plot holes, but even the OT suffers from that.

I don't hate JarJar tbh, I don't mind him, even liked him a tiny bit, but mostly indifferent to him, I was also ok with kid Anakin.

Now this is podracing was exciting actually, I forgot how resourceful Anakin looks while doing mid-race repairs.

All that's the weak stuff though. Qui Gon, Obi Wan, Maul, Visuals, Soundtrack, Battle scenes and all that good stuff makes up for it all. Must be Nostalgia since it was the 1st SW movie I saw in the theaters and I was very young but I never found myself disliking it.

I don't care for other other 2 and I don't feel like watching them any time soon. Maybe just to see Dooku.

Sure, acting can get cringeworthy at times and plot holes, but even the OT suffers from that.

I don't hate JarJar tbh, I don't mind him, even liked him a tiny bit, but mostly indifferent to him, I was also ok with kid Anakin.

Now this is podracing was exciting actually, I forgot how resourceful Anakin looks while doing mid-race repairs.

All that's the weak stuff though. Qui Gon, Obi Wan, Maul, Visuals, Soundtrack, Battle scenes and all that good stuff makes up for it all. Must be Nostalgia since it was the 1st SW movie I saw in the theaters and I was very young but I never found myself disliking it.

I don't care for other other 2 and I don't feel like watching them any time soon. Maybe just to see Dooku.
Good man :duff

It's definitely by far the best of the PT movies - & my personal fave, for much of what you've mentioned.

I don't like any of the Gungan stuff, but JarJar's best scene was his initial encounter with the two Jedi as they land.

oba8EO3.gif

I am disappoint. :(

I went into it with high hopes, but I was incredibly bored though it. I read what's left out which is in Clarke's novel and it made the film make more sense... but I think Stanley left the audiences too much to their own devices on drawing conclusions. I love that in film, but I think he took it to the extreme.

I can understand why people would like it, it's just not for me.

2001: A Space Odyssey - 5/10

My first, and only viewing.

That film's a rare perfect 10 in my book. One thing which Kubrick doesn't get his due for is effectively attempting to (and I think succeeding at, admirably) tell a story through visuals as opposed to dialogue. The story it tells is in fact incredibly straightforward but presented at a very languid pace. It probably helps that I'm a fan of slow-burning, dream-like movies (I thought Beyond The Black Rainbow was one of the best films I'd seen in years), though.

That film's a rare perfect 10 in my book. One thing which Kubrick doesn't get his due for is effectively attempting to (and I think succeeding at, admirably) tell a story through visuals as opposed to dialogue. The story it tells is in fact incredibly straightforward but presented at a very languid pace. It probably helps that I'm a fan of slow-burning, dream-like movies (I thought Beyond The Black Rainbow was one of the best films I'd seen in years), though.

Visually it's a marvel, and way ahead of it's time. Not denying that at all. I knew I'd stir up a hornet's nest by posting this review, but I'm being completely honest how I felt about it.

I just wish it moved somewhat faster than it did, but not greatly. I can't help but compare it to Interstellar, and how mundane that felt most of the time to me.

I'd agree that some scenes could use length cutting, but regardless it's an undisputed cinema classic.

Also, fist and last acts of that film are better than anything Christopher Nolan ever wrote/directed.

2001 > Interstellar definitely. My favorite part of the film was them walking down to the Monolith on the Moon. Kubrick really knew how to construct music around a scene perfectly.

2001 > Interstellar definitely. My favorite part of the film was them walking down to the Monolith on the Moon. Kubrick really knew how to construct music around a scene perfectly.

2001 originally had a score made to order, but Kubrick decided he preferred the classical music he'd been using as a placeholder and left it in the final cut. The music he used for the moon sequence was Ligeti's Requiem:

2001 originally had a score made to order, but Kubrick decided he preferred the classical music he'd been using as a placeholder and left it in the final cut. The music he used for the moon sequence was Ligeti's Requiem:

I don't know, maybe I'm being too hard on the film.

I will say of all the films I've seen, the Moon sequence is the only film that truly captured how earth-shattering it would be to find an extraterrestrial intelligence.

I don't know, maybe I'm being too hard on the film.

I will say of all the films I've seen, the Moon sequence is the only film that truly captured how earth-shattering it would be to find an extraterrestrial intelligence.

That scene is amazingly creepy and atmospheric. Honestly, I don't think I've seen another film that's quite so effectively hammered home the sheer existential horror of being in space - Alien, Interstellar and Gravity included. I mean just look at this:

It was only recently, watching the film again for the first time in years, that I realised just how terrifying this scene actually is - especially the follow-up where Hal kills Frank. No chest-ripping monsters, no exploding space shuttles, just mechanical failure leading to you slowly suffocating to death in an all-enveloping black void.

I appreciate that everyone has different tastes and I can fully understand that this really isn't a film for everyone, though.

That scene is amazingly creepy and atmospheric. Honestly, I don't think I've seen another film that's quite so effectively hammered home the sheer existential horror of being in space - Alien, Interstellar and Gravity included. I mean just look at this:

It was only recently, watching the film again for the first time in years, that I realised just how terrifying this scene actually is - especially the follow-up where Hal kills Frank. No chest-ripping monsters, no exploding space shuttles, just mechanical failure leading to you slowly suffocating to death in an all-enveloping black void.

I appreciate that everyone has different tastes and I can fully understand that this really isn't a film for everyone, though.

I marked it down only due to how lengthy and slow it was, it was never for how it was directed. I did like the tension a lot in the spacewalk scenes, I just feel the pace should of been slightly faster.

The breathing makes it very claustrophobic.

Back