Rainman Artwork 2013 Pulp Fiction Project 2- Jules the Shepard

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All I know is I've personally seem him go from here's my first WIP to 'oh, casts are done!' on a couple of occasions at least. That doesn't sound like someone who is taking their time. Art takes time. You need to step away to gain perspective.

Can't argue with that but if that's the way the man whats to do business then that's his prerogative. I agree being able to see more WIP's and having some kind of collective input at each stage would more often than not improve a sculpt but that's not out call it's Rainman's. Just out of interest did you buy Iminime's Lector?

Can't argue with that but if that's the way the man whats to do business then that's his prerogative. I agree being able to see more WIP's and having some kind of collective input at each stage would more often than not improve a sculpt but that's not out call it's Rainman's. Just out of interest did you buy Iminime's Lector?

Agreed. Like I said, not hating... only stating the obvious. Heck I still bought Vincent fullset and the Jules H&C...

I did get the iminime lecter but Im replacing the headsculpt with a commissioned piece.

I don't know much about the theory of art, but I don't think time involved would factor into any definition I would use.

I disagree. Im a television/film producer/director/editor/writer and dabble in many forms art (including 1/6 dioramas which some of you have seen) and I can unequivocally say that my best work is the one I refine over time. Even things that are pure inspiration benefit from the perspective that only comes with time... sometimes if only to confirm what you knew upon first thought or creation.

Agreed. Like I said, not hating... only stating the obvious. Heck I still bought Vincent fullset and the Jules H&C...

I did get the iminime lecter but Im replacing the headsculpt with a commissioned piece.

There lies the problem if you weren't happy with the final results why did you buy them? Don't get me wrong I'm a little disappointed they didn't come with more accessories and the first go round on the Jules sculpt was hardly inspiring but I recon RM's tweaks will show through on the final paint up. Personally I love my Vince FS think RM nailed it, I picked up Jules cos you can't have one without the other and trust in RM to fix him up.

Look forward to seeing the commissioned Lecter sculpt :)

I disagree. Im a television/film producer/director/editor/writer and dabble in many forms art (including 1/6 dioramas which some of you have seen) and I can unequivocally say that my best work is the one I refine over time. Even things that are pure inspiration benefit from the perspective that only comes with time... sometimes if only to confirm what you knew upon first thought or creation.

:lecture Preach.

Well I would be curious to hear other artists' perspective on this. If something comes together quickly and you are happy with the result, then I wouldn't think it is any less art than if it takes longer to get the result. But Rainman's always moved quickly with sculpts, be it Bill, the Dude, or Pee-Wee or Jules. Having said that, if guys who work fast like Rocco and Rainman aren't real artists in your mind that is certainly your opinion.

And saying the "best work" comes out of putting more effort into something doesn't equate to the best artistic creation. I "create" in my profession as well--primarily writing and research--and certainly I have to put in time to get a good product. But I don't consider my work art. If it's a purely artistic endeavor I think it depends on the artist and his or her perception of what makes a good artistic creation. Getting a likeness that best satisfies customers as opposed to a creation that the artist best feels comfortable with actually seems diametrically opposed to make "good art."

And saying the "best work" comes out of putting more effort into something doesn't equate to the best artistic creation. I "create" in my profession as well--primarily writing and research--and certainly I have to put in time to get a good product. But I don't consider my work art. If it's a purely artistic endeavor I think it depends on the artist and his or her perception of what makes a good artistic creation. Getting a likeness that best satisfies customers as opposed to a creation that the artist best feels comfortable with actually seems diametrically opposed to make "good art."

Look, maybe you are right, but all i think about is how many times did Van Gogh paint water lillies? As artists you seek perfection for your vision. Now van gogh was also broke. So its clear that Rainman is no van gogh. He's a business man just as much as he's an artist. But lets not be blind to the fact that his likenesses could use more attention.

I have absolutely no artistic skill, but I am curious. If you are sculpting a likeness, why wouldn't you want to get it right, as close as possible, instead of just close? With the skill level of these artists, you shouldn't look at a sculpt and see a little of the 1:1 person in it. When I first saw the Lecter figure, I honestly thought the head was someone else.

I think the intent is always to get it right on, the truth is I think that sometimes it's not about not wanting to get it right but the inability to do so based on what the artist is capable, and some artists can nail some likenesses and miss others, everyone's human afterall.

I think the intent is always to get it right on, the truth is I think that sometimes it's not about not wanting to get it right but the inability to do so based on what the artist is capable, and some artists can nail some likenesses and miss others, everyone's human afterall.

Very true. But what about the lack of accessories? The briefcase REALLY shouldnt be something we are paying an extra 100 bucks for. No offense to Robbie, Ive ordered TWO of his they are great.

Most can see when there is a problem with something but it takes a really skilled person to know how to fix it. Creating the human form or execution of Truth is not an easy task. If it was, everyone would be doing it.

Very true. But what about the lack of accessories? The briefcase REALLY shouldnt be something we are paying an extra 100 bucks for. No offense to Robbie, Ive ordered TWO of his they are great.

No offense to you or anyone on here but this really is the only thing that is a valid argument so far in this thread.

I have to agree with Ray on that. Although, looking at a few of the other Rainman figures, they kind of look like the actor but not exactly. I really don't think that's what RM is known for but rather the complete figure. I truly believe that a lot of people are not buying these for the love of the movie, the actor, or even the figure but rather the Rainman name just to say they have it. That's okay. It's just that if you want the figures he puts out, you pretty much know it's not going to look all that much like the actor. That's okay too. If you want, buy it. If not, don't buy it.

There is no piece of art that is universally loved or hated, everyone has different opinions, some don't like the way Vince and Jules came out then fine you don't have too buy it, I love them both so I bought them, its funny to me people who bash something and still buy it, why are you spending $500+ on something you clearly aren't happy with? Rainman can't appease everyone, if he doesn't offer that many accessories and that bothers you then "don't buy it!"
If you really want to change his view on it "don't buy it". The whining is really old...

The day I have the talent or ability to do what Rainman does you might hear me comment on what needs to be changed and what needs to be added, until then I and many like me on this board have no business pointing fingers saying Rainman is half-assing a sculpt till we can do the same and understand the process to assess that. Not one of us here is sitting next to Rainman during his sculpting and decision making to know what goes on, its his artistic vision and being a piece of art it is open to all possibilities including not 100% likeness or less accessories, the only time we should factor in to any of this process is when it comes to payment, you approve you buy, you disapprove don't buy.

Back