River Tam statue by Phil Robinson

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The latest is "will be finishing up the changes next month".

So I guess that now means waiting till end of October. I wonder if it will be all sorted by Nov 15, the 9 year 6 month anniversary... time will tell.

Well, for those of you who are still playing along at home, the past couple of months have been..... 'interesting'.

As I type this, we are now 9 and a half years since I first paid the $236AUD deposit and on the 18th September Phil fired off a message starting with:

Some knucklehead who read your thread just messaged me and said my sculpt is trash... Great encouragement. I've looked at the thread myself and I find the tone very condescending.

He then basically blamed me for everything, saying I could have had it 8 years ago and threatened to just send it as is.

My reply was far less diplomatic this time, given his total inability to even look at the reference photo and get the basics right. I've lost count how many times I've said the sword isn't long enough, let alone it being too low, but he never did the basic check to see. Being unable to get that fixed, I didn't even bother to bring up the fact he had the sword handle too short and he turned the hand holding it around 90 degrees for some reason.

If one needs more proof he never looks at the photo, the boots are black, not brown....

I don't know, maybe I'm being too picky, but if one is sculpting/painting, etc it all anyway, how hard is it to do a basic check on size and proportions. All it takes is having the photo in front of you while blocking things out.

As for the 8 year ago claim, I called total rubbish on that. It took him from November 2017 with a body sculpt till June 2020 to make the initial prototype. That's 3 and a half years with no changes, no feedback (hard to give feedback, when you only see a couple of photos once a year) and a whole lot of pushing (I started this thread during the middle of that time) and it was at the 9 year mark that I first saw the dress.

I then heard nothing for a while, till asking if the the 'end of June' changes were going to be done by the end of October and got the following reply on the 25th October:

I've done all I can for half the money I was expecting... please forward your address so I can send you the completed statue
That nasty message from one of your cronies was the final straw

At this stage I have no idea if its been sent or not and not really sure it matters all that much at this stage. I've either wasted $1600AUD with nothing to show for it, or I've wasted 9 and a half years to get something not worth anywhere near what I paid for it.

Initially, when Phil said the whole project would take "4 to 8 weeks from start to finish" my hope was for a statue of at least Sideshow PF quality, if not better and then a short production run where I could sell a few others to fans and at least cover most of my commission costs. At which point I would then seriously consider going again on a few others Firefly characters.

Instead that dream turned into an almost 10 year nightmare that one reads about on custom jobs...... so here's another one of those stories.

Its blatantly obvious he was looking for any excuse he could find to stop and justify his behaviour.
As your communications were neutral enough he couldn't point to them with any sort of indignation so he's settled on a message that isn't even yours and an Internet forum thread he couldn't even claim to be that out of line, just 'condescending in tone'.

Why did he decide its your fault for it not being done 8 years ago though?

Why did he decide its your fault for it not being done 8 years ago though?

I can only assume he was referring to the July 2013 statue, ie this one:

ZURIfSA.jpg

Which wasn't bad, but as you can see from the overlay, had some basic position and scale issues, mostly the axe arm and length of the left leg, along with the upper torso needing to be turned around a little more. But the right leg was good, the sword arm was at the correct height, if only just a little short and the face and hair looked pretty good (even tho Phil always wanted, from the very start to do the hair as actual hair, not sculpted).

So you would think with a little bit of bend and twist and a little more work on the left leg it would have all been good for final polish and prototype production. But it didn't work out like that. By October 2013 he somewhat corrected the torso, made the axe arm worse, didn't make any change to the left leg and made a sword that was too short/small.

Then for the next 19 months I saw no updates, till May 2015, at which point what I think is a whole new sculpt (because the old one dried out and became unusable) had most of the old problems, and a bunch of new ones. And then it just slowly (very slowly) continued from there for another 5 years.

Yeah that old one is pretty nice and what shoulda been easy fixes. The new one doesn't look good :|

At this stage I have no idea if its been sent or not

Given the state of the planet over the past year and the even bigger 'mess' in the USA over the past couple of weeks, chances are many of you have more pressing matters on your mind, but in case anyone is still following along and wondering how it all turned out..... well, it didn't.

To answer my own question from a couple of months ago, I highly suspect the statue hasn't been sent or if it has, then its on a slow ship, since at this stage nothing has shown up.

Personally I wish he would just sell it and I'll take the 450 pound refund that he offered back on 12th Dec 2016. Which I so should have taken, rather then his deal of 50/50 ownership of the project and 20% of the profits.

Silly me... still you live and learn.

So, who knows what time it is? That's right, it's update time. However, this isn't any ordinary update, because this time, it's the actual amount of time that marks the milestone.

On the 15th May 2011, I made the first payment to Phil for the statue and as of now, on this 10 year anniversary I still have nothing to show for it.

On 3rd Feb 2021 I told Phil I would take the 450 pound refund and call it a day. He could keep the rest, the statue/sculpt and do what he likes with it. Phil accepted the offer and said he would send the payment ASAP.... some 3 months later and I'm still waiting for the money.

So, what will the next 10 years bring... hope I'm still alive to see it.

Given the amount of time that has elapsed, maybe you should go pay him a (non threatening) visit.

At that point he can at least give you an explanation if not your money. That might be satisfying enough for you to finally walk away.

On 3rd Feb 2021 I told Phil I would take the 450 pound refund and call it a day. He could keep the rest, the statue/sculpt and do what he likes with it. Phil accepted the offer and said he would send the payment ASAP

I doubt this will come as a surprise to anyone, but 6 months later I have still yet to receive anything at all, not even a reply from Phil in the past 3-4 months.

So yeah, I'm done, a long, hard, expensive lesson learnt, but nothing more I can do so no point in wasting any more time and head space after 10+ years.

And that basically brings to an end my collecting, which I had stopped buying anything new a few years ago. Keeping everything I currently have and drawing a line.

Cheers all.

One minor problem with that, I'm in AU and he's in the UK.
I was once in a similar situation as you were with a U.K. Batman propmaker, who kept me waiting for nearly 2 1/2 years by sending pictures of "my" cowls, constant apologees, postponements, etc.

In a last-ditch effort I wrote an E-Mail to the local police station in his village/ small town informing them of how he conducted his business and they instantly took care of it and called him up. A week or two later the items arrived.

So a final footnote to all of this. After 6 months of waiting and asking about the refund Phil had agreed to, I decided it was just time to give up.

On the 3rd Aug 2021 I sent to Phil the following:

6 Months and still no PayPal notice...Fine, I give up, hard lesson learned, you win I lose, goodbye.

Received a reply of:

whats ur paypal again... I now have the money... I'm just so busy right now I keep forgetting

To which I sent back my Paypal email address a few days later.

Another 2 months has passed since then and guess what..... NOTHING. Over 10 years of delays, endless broken promises and trying to blame me for it all and that is how my collecting journey basically ends.

Back