Rainman Artwork 2013 Pulp Fiction Project 2- Jules the Shepard

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree that time is a major factor in perfecting this particular art form. We're not talking about Pollack making random paint splashes on a canvas or Haring's stick figure pictures. We're not even talking about sculpting large sized objects where adding detail can be easier. We're talking about sculpting and painting tiny little heads that are supposed to look like someone specific; this s__t is HARD! No matter how good someone is at this they can't just wave a magic wand and presto... it's perfect. If an artist takes a crack at something and nails it quickly (as Sam was mentioning) then I think that's just how the chips fell on that particular go, but I think those are the sweet times when the stars line up just right. I highly doubt the best of the best can do that consistently.

If time wasn't a factor then why do we see WIP's and stages of progression? Why can't the artists just wave their magic wands and BOOM... there's a perfect sculpt in under 24 hours. It takes time to go from the first stage of a raw piece of clay to the last stage... the final product. I'm sure most sculptors can look at the reference material and look at their sculpt and say..., "Ya know what, I can probably make the lips a little more this" or "I can improve the eyes with a little less that". If they can't see it themselves then there will be an outsider looking in who sure could and if they are open to suggestion, then that outsider can bring certain points to their attention.

I'll use Johnny's Rocky just for example (not dragging him into this; it's just the most recent project that I'm following). He brought the sculpt to what easily could've been final until it was mentioned that it would be an improvement if the eyes were a bit bigger. He agreed and is going to look into it. He could have easily said “that’s a wrap”, called it final and fired up the oven but instead he’s putting more time into it to make it better.

i don't disagree with you Ajk coming to your conclusion...but my problem is with the lack (or great, depends on what end of the stick you are at) of business sense from RM and the people that buy anything he puts out regardless of it being light or accessory heavy....giving the false impression to RM that we as collectors will buy whatever he puts out because, in the past that's what we have done....i guess he figured a while ago that if he could "pull the wool over our eyes", he could still make out...again....in business....if you don't have someone or some people to check you...Sky's the limit...i can say that i stood by my words of not buying any of thee last releases based on the lack of....well everything...i'm only putting my PF customs together from what is available out there and getting the same awesome side accessories as all of you...but the fact still remains that whatever logic he used to come up for whatever the end result was, was not based on an artistic view but instead based on 100% money driven...and again...i use this as my staple with RM and anyone else whom you guys choose to protect....lets shift back to RM....when you order your items in RMs site...you only have a limited amount of time to pay or else it goes to someone else....RM doesn't care if you praise him up and down this or any other site....and do you know why...because he knows some one else will gladly take your non paying spot....and this is the cycle that i have been pointing out...i was a RM supporter until i saw this recently...kinda left bad taste actually....because it woke me up to the fact that even in my hobby....it always comes back to cold hard cash...:dunno

Last edited:
I look at it like this, we offered feedback in some cases constructive suggestions with photos on what could be improved on. It came off as if we were unsatisfied and perhaps that's truth in that. At that point it's up to Rainman to decide if he agrees with the criticisms and if he does, if he feels there's a chance he can address it in a way that he also feels there is improvement.

Sometimes when I show my work and I think it's solid someone even someone not nessisarily artistic can point out something that was right under my nose all along and it will hit me, ding ding ding! How did I miss that? Other times ill think, nah, I don't agree with that at all.

But me being me if I see room for improvement i jump right back into the thing. Rainman is clearly the same way. A man does not have that kind of talent running through his hands without hard work time and effort out into his work, the right eye but moreover the curse of being a perfectionist. It's why other customizers work does not have the attention to detail his has, it's talent but more than that its time out into the product and being a perfectionist.

It's why you can rest assured we are getting the best of Rainmans ability with Jules. That's not to say a year from now if Rainman were to sculpt SLJ from say, Snakes on a Plane, because you all know you want that, his SLJ might not be miles better than this one. Afterall look at how much better Arnje Kim got with Bruce Lee or Yuli with Ledger Joker, you know the face, source material... Your skill improves etc.

It's not really a take it or leave it kind of thing, well it could be, but Rainman wants to please his customer base even though at times it's impossible to please everyone.

Of course in the end everything comes down to money, thats what sadly life is all about haha but what Im saying is if you (not you Levit05, just a general you) don't like what he is offering then don't buy it, if you want to offer suggestions thats fine but don't stomp your feet if he doesn't listen, don't get mad is he doesn't change something because you want it to change, just because you would like it that way doesn't mean others will too. As for the site system, everything works that way, Rainman is not going to wait for you to make up your mind while you promise him you are going to buy it, if someone is willing to pay then they get the spot, thats just how things work, promises don't hold spots, money does. I can't go into 95% of stores and say "hey hold this item for me, I promise i'll be back to buy it soon" while the guy behind me says "im ready to buy that now heres my money". Thats nothing personal, thats just business, and businesses need certain systems to work effectively.

you are right AJK....its what i have basically been saying....treat these transactions with your favorite artist as such....yes...they should be considered art...but thats the secondary effect of it...because primarily....its a business....i love the example you used because hopefully people will understand that they aren't any higher or lower because of the mighty praise factor that somehow people think will get them ahead....it won't...what it might get you tho.....with enough "input"...your own character made....which i think i what everyone ultimately lobbies for....so they keep on buying....hoping one day that their character will get the RM treatment....me...if i could get a hold of Iris....i think i would leave RM alone....LOL

Sets still available.....guess they are awaiting for them to sell out before they ship

Doubt it tbh. Whether the fig sells out or not it won't effect shipping time. I think a delay if any has likely been caused by the re-tweak on the sculpt

I got nothing...

angry-birds-o.gif

just waiting for the final reveal :impatient:

HAHAHAHAHAHHAAHA....but seriously....how does one get in contact with Iris?

Apparenty Rainman's tailor is not called Iris shes Iminime's tailor or so I've been informed by a reliable source. If you wanna get in touch with them the studios called Tree Designs :)

It's why you can rest assured we are getting the best of Rainmans ability with Jules. That's not to say a year from now if Rainman were to sculpt SLJ from say, Snakes on a Plane, because you all know you want that, his SLJ might not be miles better than this one. Afterall look at how much better Arnje Kim got with Bruce Lee or Yuli with Ledger Joker, you know the face, source material... Your skill improves etc.

I sure hope he re-visits that Alex Delarge. Given his improving skillset, he could do wonders with a new look at it. This also got me thinking about how incredibly fast this hobby is moving when it comes to creating these characters in 1/6 form. The list is getting shorter and shorter. Four figures a year, most of the classic characters done already....at this rate Rainman either be out of interesting characters to do soon enough and will have to re-vist some of these characters to extend the life of this part of his business.

Just looking at 1/6 collecting trends, it appears most collectors are only interested in the best until somthing better, likeness wise, comes along with collectors constantly abandoning older outdated work. What incentive would he have from giving us the best right now when he can extend the life of the business a bit longer with improved re-visted works. If it's one thing that keeps 1/6 buyers spending their money, it's the latest and greatest. Some how I feel these guys already know this. :lol

Last edited:
Its like all other 1/6 producers. Some figs are are hit, other are a miss. This wasn't one of his best figs, but so what. Let see what he comes up with next.
As for a 2.0 Alex, im sure those that bought V1.0 wouldnt appreciate that, lol, and cant imagine the issues that would be brought up on this board if RM went that route.
Now a 2.0 record shop Alex with his purple suit?? that would be cool

Back