Questions for Asmus

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Asmus!

I'm sure things are fluid right now, but are you currently anticipating any significant delays in shipping or development due to the Covid 19 crisis? Hope you're all staying safe!

Asmus, if you are planning on an Ian Holm Bilbo figure, would you be using Fellowship or An Unexpected Journey as references for the sculpt? Personally I'd prefer it from Fellowship.
809375b2fa6d0b77022ef2712de07905.jpg
153b04e9d3111b9f8c833508e7a0c257.jpg

Please God, no de-aged Ian Holm! It looks bloody awful.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Please God, no de-aged Ian Holm! It looks bloody awful.

Is that what they did, use de-aging tech? I just thought he looked different due to age & health, as some older people retain water and their skin smooths out.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Is that what they did, use de-aging tech? I just thought he looked different due to age & health, as some older people retain water and their skin smooths out.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
Yeah, it was done in post production or reshoots because you can see his unedited face in the first trailer.
802a0ae44338ade866f88f302a276a5b.jpg

He'd need a whole separate outfit for Rivendell too. (Unless you weren't expecting the red vest Shire version to begin with)

For me, it all depends on what "Crown" actually entails. It's hard to say exactly how they're defining it given we've only got one figure to go by. But so far as I can tell, while the outfit is being moderately improved and a small environment piece is being added, it mostly seems to be about the head. High quality sculpt, high quality paint, movable eyes and carefully applied hair and beard.

If that's what Crown means going forward, I'm 100% okay with that. The head is the single most important aspect to a figure for me. And I would love to see Gandalf the White and Saruman get their turns.

I'm less keen on a Crown Legolas, since I think they could probably do a perfectly fine job using the Arwen and Elrond mixed medium technique. As long as they can match the color between the two materials.

I would think a King Aragorn would be most likely in the series. Seems like a good candidate. But if we're digging deep into our wish lists ... I would never expect them to do it, but I personally would love to see a Crown version of possessed Theoden. (Maybe including his throne?) Or maybe they could take another shot at Eowyn. A King of the Dead would also be fantastic. Though, I suppose any of those could be done as standard non-Crown releases.

It's really a credit to the quality levels the standard releases in the line are reaching these days that there aren't really that many characters I can think of that could really benefit from a Crown release. Bravo, Asmus!

Gandalf the white is going to be in the crown line. I really really hope they add Gandalf's ring for both white and gray versions especially as the crown line should be about those details.

------

Asmus, if you see this, can you comment about the rings being included?

You guys are too optimistic. There's actually a 1/6 Treebeard statue from Weta, it's 40 inches tall (to be fair, it has Pippin on top, so take a few inches from that) so you would need to remove two Detolf shelves, and still I doubt the wide would be enough. Also, that statue is around $3K, so I can't see how Asmus could do it at an affordable price. I guess it would be like the Threezero's Drogon, a super limited piece for just a bunch of collectors with enough cash and room available. Still, one can dream! :)
Treebeard1-6.jpg

You guys are too optimistic. There's actually a 1/6 Treebeard statue from Weta, it's 40 inches tall (to be fair, it has Pippin on top, so take a few inches from that) so you would need to remove two Detolf shelves, and still I doubt the wide would be enough. Also, that statue is around $3K, so I can't see how Asmus could do it at an affordable price. I guess it would be like the Threezero's Drogon, a super limited piece for just a bunch of collectors with enough cash and room available. Still, one can dream! :)
View attachment 480574

I?m well aware of the statue. I missed out on him.
Yeah the statue is expensive alright. But he?s made of poly stone not plastic. There are lots of big plastic children?s toys out there so it?s not like big hasn?t been done before.
I doubt Asmus would go for it.
Wonder would JazzInc do him.

I?m well aware of the statue. I missed out on him.
Yeah the statue is expensive alright. But he?s made of poly stone not plastic. There are lots of big plastic children?s toys out there so it?s not like big hasn?t been done before.
I doubt Asmus would go for it.
Wonder would JazzInc do him.

My comment on how optimistic you guys were was about it fitting in a Detolf, not Asmus doing it, but as I said, it still would be too expensive, I think. Of course it would depend on quality. If it's just a big chunk of plastic it would cost less than a high-end collectible, but I don't think that's what we're looking for.
As for JazzInc, I think he's focused on more mechanical stuff than organic figures. The best bet I think would be still on Asmus, since it's their stuff, and if there's enough demand they'd be first on noticing and they're definitely able to do a small, relatively affordable run. Who knows? If the line continues and there's enough interest on big figures (I think Sauron or the cave troll would be first), why not?
The Weta statue is still in stock in some places https://www.darksidetoy.com/shop-by...by-weta-detail.html?virtuemart_currency_id=47

My comment on how optimistic you guys were was about it fitting in a Detolf, not Asmus doing it, but as I said, it still would be too expensive, I think. Of course it would depend on quality. If it's just a big chunk of plastic it would cost less than a high-end collectible, but I don't think that's what we're looking for.
As for JazzInc, I think he's focused on more mechanical stuff than organic figures. The best bet I think would be still on Asmus, since it's their stuff, and if there's enough demand they'd be first on noticing and they're definitely able to do a small, relatively affordable run. Who knows? If the line continues and there's enough interest on big figures (I think Sauron or the cave troll would be first), why not?
The Weta statue is still in stock in some places https://www.darksidetoy.com/shop-by...by-weta-detail.html?virtuemart_currency_id=47

I don?t have any detolfs so I wouldn?t know the sizes of the shelf and the width of one lol.
I?m estimating that he would be approx 75cm tall based off the size chart.
Yeah Joost does mechanical parts, I have the Falcon cockpit on order with him at the min.
Oh I want Sauron and a troll. Totally want them.

Thanks for the link to Treebeard.
Can?t afford it at the moment. Just paid 1400 euros on the ecto1. Haha.

Considering the likely price and size I?d be fine with a Treebeard base that could be part of a deluxe set. The base could be similar to the SS bust but in PVC.

Other than what’s been announced, I’d like to see Gollum/Smeagol, Sauron, Legolas (Crown series), Saruman (Crown series), Eowyn in gown, cursed Theoden (deluxe throne version), Grima Wormtongue, Denathor, Lurtz, Orc, battle Troll, Frodo in armor, Sam in armor, King Aragorn, Queen Arwen.

After that maybe Asmus should circle back to The Hobbit, although not sure if I’d get that line.

Back