Questions for Asmus

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know Gandalf is the most important character of the franchise and I know Asmus will probably wait for the reception of its Crown Gandalf (how many interests, how long does it really take to produce this quality and so on) BUT what are the long term plans with the Crown Franchise? After so many other figures not getting a crown version, which characters ARE in the running for Crown treatment at all?

Legolas? Another Aragorn (King Version?)? Saruman? Can't really think on too many other "high impact" characters like Gandalf. And seeing posts on Gollum probably getting a normal release and second Aragorn already on its way as a normal release...I'm just wondering where you are heading here

I'm not ready to spend $400+ per each Crown figure to replace the ones that I have. Just too rich for me.

I think it's a very small group of characters that deserve the "Crown" treatment.

I think the following figures would warrant the extra expense in head sculpts and outfit:

1. Lady Galadriel: Would include the fountain as the diorama base and the pitcher. Her dress is intricate and her elaborate hair style would need additional work to look correct.

2. Rivendell Elrond: Include pedestal with the one ring as the base. His outfit and hair would also need additional work to look good.

3. Sm?agol/Gollum 2-pack: Two figures depicting each personality. Well done head sculpts will be key for each. Include hidden joints, as he is usually in on all four crawling.

The following figures would be nice to see as a regular/slim and deluxe version:

3. Bilbo Baggins (Ian Holm). Deluxe would include his writing desk and chair as the base. (can be used with Frodo as well..)

4. Warg Rider Orc. Deluxe would include the warg.

5. Moria Goblin. Deluxe could include part of a Moria column that he can be displayed climbing on.

6. Denethor. Deluxe comes with his throne and Boromir's broken horn.

I could go on and on but will leave it here.

I think the following figures would warrant the extra expense in head sculpts and outfit:

1. Lady Galadriel: Would include the fountain as the diorama base and the pitcher. Her dress is intricate and her elaborate hair style would need additional work to look correct.

2. Rivendell Elrond: Include pedestal with the one ring as the base. His outfit and hair would also need additional work to look good.

3. Sm?agol/Gollum 2-pack: Two figures depicting each personality. Well done head sculpts will be key for each. Include hidden joints, as he is usually in on all four crawling.

The following figures would be nice to see as a regular/slim and deluxe version:

3. Bilbo Baggins (Ian Holm). Deluxe would include his writing desk and chair as the base. (can be used with Frodo as well..)

4. Warg Rider Orc. Deluxe would include the warg.

5. Moria Goblin. Deluxe could include part of a Moria column that he can be displayed climbing on.

6. Denethor. Deluxe comes with his throne and Boromir's broken horn.

I could go on and on but will leave it here.

Cool, some nice picks in there.
That?s the Sm?agol/Gollum i want.
Definitely want Bilbo (Ian Holm) but I already have the writing desk made.

For me, it all depends on what "Crown" actually entails. It's hard to say exactly how they're defining it given we've only got one figure to go by. But so far as I can tell, while the outfit is being moderately improved and a small environment piece is being added, it mostly seems to be about the head. High quality sculpt, high quality paint, movable eyes and carefully applied hair and beard.

If that's what Crown means going forward, I'm 100% okay with that. The head is the single most important aspect to a figure for me. And I would love to see Gandalf the White and Saruman get their turns.

I'm less keen on a Crown Legolas, since I think they could probably do a perfectly fine job using the Arwen and Elrond mixed medium technique. As long as they can match the color between the two materials.

I would think a King Aragorn would be most likely in the series. Seems like a good candidate. But if we're digging deep into our wish lists ... I would never expect them to do it, but I personally would love to see a Crown version of possessed Theoden. (Maybe including his throne?) Or maybe they could take another shot at Eowyn. A King of the Dead would also be fantastic. Though, I suppose any of those could be done as standard non-Crown releases.

It's really a credit to the quality levels the standard releases in the line are reaching these days that there aren't really that many characters I can think of that could really benefit from a Crown release. Bravo, Asmus!

For me, it all depends on what "Crown" actually entails. It's hard to say exactly how they're defining it given we've only got one figure to go by. But so far as I can tell, while the outfit is being moderately improved and a small environment piece is being added, it mostly seems to be about the head. High quality sculpt, high quality paint, movable eyes and carefully applied hair and beard.

If that's what Crown means going forward, I'm 100% okay with that. The head is the single most important aspect to a figure for me. And I would love to see Gandalf the White and Saruman get their turns.

I'm less keen on a Crown Legolas, since I think they could probably do a perfectly fine job using the Arwen and Elrond mixed medium technique. As long as they can match the color between the two materials.

I would think a King Aragorn would be most likely in the series. Seems like a good candidate. But if we're digging deep into our wish lists ... I would never expect them to do it, but I personally would love to see a Crown version of possessed Theoden. (Maybe including his throne?) Or maybe they could take another shot at Eowyn. A King of the Dead would also be fantastic. Though, I suppose any of those could be done as standard non-Crown releases.

It's really a credit to the quality levels the standard releases in the line are reaching these days that there aren't really that many characters I can think of that could really benefit from a Crown release. Bravo, Asmus!

That was my take on the Crown series as well. Updated head sculpts, intricate outfits and some type of diorama base.

Although there has been two releases already for Saruman, I'd like to see a rooted beard version as a deluxe. Also love the idea of a deluxe Ian Holm Bilbo with desk. I'd snap that up

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Please share your pics of the writing desk, if possible. Would love to see it!
Yeah no problem, here's my writing desk :)
fe3223a8ce41a12b0b462caeaf087205.jpg
009c3753bd6f294ce2b3d6544859faa8.jpg
56207f4f97fcaaf60d4626c839070871.jpg
cf11d425594828ca3f7ab9c278550d47.jpg
37418f0ab50f5830bc1433ec77b65a55.jpg

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

I can craft a lot of bases and terrains but I always love getting detailed ones with figures. I have NO problem forking over the extra cash if bases are a part of the "crown" title. I bet that the term "environment" is scooped up by WETA for the things they make, but I wonder if Asmus could finagle their definition such that they could make stand alone ones.

I remember back a year or two ago (probably longer) Asmus hinted that they did not have a license to produce diorama pieces (other than bases) but that they were looking to maybe possibly expand the license to include them. I think there were some legal entanglements that prevented them from releasing things like Balin's Tomb and Gandalf's cart that they showed in prototype pictures and at toy shows but never offered for sale. I wonder what the situation is now ...

Back