Question: Deagostini/Casco/Altaya helmets

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kodiak3d

Super Freak
Reaction score
So, I just discovered that these exist, and wow, they're beautiful! I've searched around and found a few customs made with them and sometimes the helmet looks like a good size, sometimes it's a bit big (I know, they're 1/5, not 1/6).

I was specifically curious about the Y-wing pilot helmet. Anyone got one? I just want to find out if it's worth tracking one down to do a custom with or not.

So, I just discovered that these exist, and wow, they're beautiful! I've searched around and found a few customs made with them and sometimes the helmet looks like a good size, sometimes it's a bit big (I know, they're 1/5, not 1/6).

I was specifically curious about the Y-wing pilot helmet. Anyone got one? I just want to find out if it's worth tracking one down to do a custom with or not.

I think the Y-wing is one of the many "too big for 1/6" helmets from memory. Most are the same - noticeably more 1/5 than 1/6. It's unfortunate, they are pretty nicely detailed. The X-wing helmet is really nicely done, but 10-20% too big for 1/6.

I think the Y-wing is one of the many "too big for 1/6" helmets from memory. Most are the same - noticeably more 1/5 than 1/6. It's unfortunate, they are pretty nicely detailed. The X-wing helmet is really nicely done, but 10-20% too big for 1/6.

(First, thanks for the response, TaliBane.)

Grrrr...
Why 1/5? Seriously. WHY 1/5?! All these beautiful helmets just begging to be used for custom figures, but just slightly too big. Licensing schmicensing. JUST MAKE THEM 1/6!

Sigh...it's OK. I'm OK. I promise.

Wow… I didn’t know about those helmets. Thanks for posting.

I am with you… 1/6 scale would’ve been so much better.

You can work with a few of them. The overscale isn't consistent (I don't have it, but using pics the Tusken head actually seems larger than 1/5, almost Premium Format scale.) The ATST helmet for example is still a bit big, but looks "okay" for 1/6. Unfortunately, many of the most desirable "iconic" ones such as X-wing helmet and Death Star Trooper helmets are just too big for 1/6 to my eye - you kinda go "eww, nope" when you put it all together. I'll try to post a pic in the next day or two.

Unfortunate because - for example - the x-wing helemt deco on the DeAg helmet is much more accurate then the Sideshow.

You can use them in one-off ways though - I did a major reboot of the Hasbro speeder bike, but it's a little over-scale so I'm making a second custom Biker Scout (mostly Hasbro parts) using the DeAg Biker Scout helmet that's in scale because it's maybe 12 1/2" tall. The figure will never leave the bike (I already have a standing custom biker) and is in an extreme pose so you don't/can't really notice the overscale. That one is one of the ones I'd consider a "tweener" - where it's just a tad too big for 1/6 on a standard body next to HT/SSC figs, but can pass under certain circumstances.

The other issue is that many of the sculpts are really nice, but a sizable number are inaccurate/off - stormtrooper, ATAT driver and Vader for example aren't all that great.

The X-, y-, and b-wing helmets were the ones I really wanted to use. The Death Star Trooper helmets would have been nice too.

Such a shame.

I have the A,B,Y wing helmets and will try to take a photo for you soon. As expected, they are all too big for 1/6 except for the B-Wing. I think I can make that one work with a Nien Numb head inside.

Like you, I'd also be curious to see how the X-Wing one stacks up to other makers'. I don't have that one. I trust TaliBane when he says its too big just curious to see it.

I have the A,B,Y wing helmets and will try to take a photo for you soon. As expected, they are all too big for 1/6 except for the B-Wing. I think I can make that one work with a Nien Numb head inside.

Like you, I'd also be curious to see how the X-Wing one stacks up to other makers'. I don't have that one. I trust TaliBane when he says its too big just curious to see it.

I'll post some comp pics in the next few days. The x-wing helmet you might get away with having Luke holding onto it, and turning it just so. But next to the SSC helmet the scale difference is super noticeable, and it really doesn't work on a figure head at all. It's like a kid with Dad's helmet on.

It is a major pity, but I'm guessing that's how they got the license - by not competing with 1/6 makers.

I have all 69 of the helmets that DeAgostini have currently released in the UK, and as mentioned, unfortunately they are just off with the size to be used

The other issue is that many of the sculpts are really nice, but a sizable number are inaccurate/off - stormtrooper, ATAT driver and Vader for example aren't all that great.

Funny you should mention these ones. I managed to pick up the Stormtrooper and Vader for £1 at a car boot sale. Even with inaccuracies you can't really say no at that price can you?

Are the old Tomy / Bandai helmets out of scale too?

I'm looking at buying a Rebel Fleet trooper helmet and was just wondering about scale.

Is it too big to use?

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Are the old Tomy / Bandai helmets out of scale too?

I'm looking at buying a Rebel Fleet trooper helmet and was just wondering about scale.

Is it too big to use?

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

The old Tomy helmets are about 1/7th scale. They are a bit too small.

Yep, these are a bit too big for 1/6 scale but I wanted to try.

E15FAAFE-54B6-4E4B-A358-80865EB98E08.jpeg

That one doesn't look too bad to me. Of course, I'm holding my head sideways... :)

So I ended up taking the plunge, and I went ahead and purchased the Deagostini Rebel Fleet Trooper Helmet. And I am very happy to report that it is almost identical in size to the SS helmet. If anything it might be just a tad bit smaller which is a good thing considering I heard many people say that the SS helmet was oversized. However I didn't realize the Deagostini helmet was fixed to the stand. It looks like it can be removed but it's glued on the stand and I don't want to use too much force and risk damaging it. Does anyone know a way to remove the helmet from the stand? Are other Deagostini helmets fixed to their stands? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Back