QMX Star Trek General discussion thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you watched the latest episode of Star Trek Continues that just dropped you learn Christine is off at medical school

I have only seen the first two. I have the page bookmarked but keep forgetting about it. I have not seen kitumba either. I always wished that they had made more of Chapel's qualifications to differentiate her from McCoy. Having two medical doctors in a cast of 9, including Rand, meant she was doomed to remain marginalised. Having an astrobiologist PhD with medical training gives her a whole niche of her own while keeping her in reserve for medical support.

I have only seen the first two. I have the page bookmarked but keep forgetting about it. I have not seen kitumba either. I always wished that they had made more of Chapel's qualifications to differentiate her from McCoy. Having two medical doctors in a cast of 9, including Rand, meant she was doomed to remain marginalised. Having an astrobiologist PhD with medical training gives her a whole niche of her own while keeping her in reserve for medical support.

I think you are getting New Voyages mixed up with Continues. If you forty minutes please watch it. It's like stepping back into the sixties

Just to give you all who orders Bones from Amazon a heads up, mine arrived yesterday from Australia. Yours should be arriving anytime soon, if it hasn't already.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think you are getting New Voyages mixed up with Continues. If you forty minutes please watch it. It's like stepping back into the sixties

No I've watched Both! They are great fun. If they fall foul of anything, it's their perpetuation of the TOS tendency to have lots of male characters and too few women. I rather like the new character but making her a therapist means she could become tangential to the plot, like Troi. In the first two stories, she was used sensibly and she held her own though! I would still have preferred Uhura, Chapel, and Rand to be used more widely and more appropriately or it feels that even in the 21St century, we can't take the existing characters and write decent sci fi for women. In the reboot, Jaylah will swoop in now and take over when there were existing characters crying out for the same treatment.

I read Ellison's graphic novel of city on the edge of forever, where he updated Rand to be shown as a fully trained member of the crew. She was blasting stuff, fighting, and Jerry rigging a transporter, none of which was out of character or in any way inconsistent with TOS. Give me more of that!

Here's a question I want to know the answer to and I think said answer could potentially kick of a *****storm, but I'll ask anyway because I really want to know. Nanjin, the Dr. Crusher prototype that was NOT shown at comic con....does it have rooted hair or sculpted hair? Honestly, I'm pulling for rooted hair for her myself but I'm curious. I watched an episode of Next gen this morning before work(Picard and Crusher are mentally linked and discover their affection for each other. Underated episode) and began thinking about it.
I am working on rooted hair, as of now.

Sent from my SM-G9550 using Tapatalk

I'm glad about rooted hair too. I hope it can be pulled off. Hot Toys was going to do rooted hair for their Ripley and ended up sculpting it.

I guess I'm the only one that doesn't want rooted hair on any of thes figures. To me it just doesn't look good.

I guess I'm the only one that doesn't want rooted hair on any of thes figures. To me it just doesn't look good.

Alas, dealing with characters that have long hair, their is no easy solution. Rooted hair can be too fluffy and delicate, but sculpted hair could look helmet-like and restrict neck movement. It must be a tough call to make for any designer or manufacturer.

I like what big chief did with the Amy Pond figure. Offer both a rooted and sculpted head. That way people can get the one they prefer.

Any word on the Captain's Chair yet? It's been coming soon for a LONG time now.

You're not. If they go with rooted hair I am very unlikely to buy it personally, as I have never seen a mass produced factory figure with rooted hair to date that I thought worked, with even the better efforts still looking like a bad nylon wig to my eyes. Plus I just don't think it usually scales very well, even in the best of cases.

Prototypes and custom pieces can occasionally manage to make rooted hair work and look good, but that's because they are willing to put a lot more hours in than any assembly line product would ever come close to being able to replicate.

That's not me saying that QMX shouldn't do so, by the way, as far as I'm concerned it's ultimately manufacturers choice how they choose to make their offerings, just as it is the customers choice whether to buy or not. I just doubt I'll be a customer in this case, that's all, unless they manage something remarkable. :)

Not a fan of rooted hair either.

Worf looks much better with sculpted hair.

Imagine the curly mess dealing with a deanna troi.

Back