PT Changing How You View The OT

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Before my wife and I were married she had never seen the SW saga. So I had her watch them in this order: 4,5,1,2,3,6. I didn't want the surprise of ESB spoiled early but by the same token I didn't want the whole resolution of the saga spoiled before seeing the prequels.

So we watched Luke's story right up until Vader reveals who he really is. Then we watched the PT as sort of a "flashback interlude" before jumping back into Luke's adventure and the redemption of this much more fleshed out villain. Suddenly ROTJ has much bigger stakes and you *don't* know how it ends. Some old fans find controversy with the new ending of ROTJ, but my wife actually cried when young Anakin appeared before Luke in celebration of Luke's victory and the fall of the Empire.

Wow. That is actually BRILLIANT.

Well done, sir!

One really cool thing is, when you think about it, R2 and Vader never see each other again after Mustafar, so the PT added a really cool dynamic to the little droid.

Actually Vader does see R2 after Mustafar; when he blows his head off with his TIE Fighter in the Death Star trench. Not that he would have recognized him of course, but I found it sadly ironic that one Episode earlier, Anakin was using his fighter to blast droids off of the hull of his friend's ship to save him. Then in ANH he shoots another droid attached to a fighter, this time it was one who used to be one of his most trusted allies.

I get what you're saying Adam, guess I just don't clarify myself well sometimes.

I think the worst thing for Lucas was having to make A New Hope as a single film because of the uncertainty of it's success, and the same can be said for many trilogies. The Matrix, Pirates of the Caribbean and even Austin Powers to name a few, show the effect. The first films in each of these series were innovative and entertaining and had an ammount of closure to them. I'm glad they went on, but in the 2 and third chapters, it's clear that the creative teams weren't expecting they'd arrive at that point and there was much pressure to keep the stories going, especially when you need actors to return and such, time's ticking.

I love Empire and Jedi, but the evolution from part 1 to 2 and 3 in Star Wars does show signs of the incomplete thoughts from Star Wars. One of the BTS documentaries even shows Lucas' notes in very raw form of just outlining a few characters and things for backstory, but really not building on them enough. Empire and Jedi are almost a completion of Lucas' idea process with the PT almost being the first films he made with his vision fully completed.

Wow. That is actually BRILLIANT.

Well done, sir!

Thanks. :) I forgot to add that I feel your first introduction to the SW saga MUST be that Star Destroyer looming over the screen as it bears down on the Blockade Runner. I can't imagine anything immediately propelling you into the story like that first iconic scene.

I hope when the time comes I can show my kids ANH (probably in Blu Ray now :lol) in the clearest possible picture on a 50 inch HD TV. This is probably about as close to a theatrical release as my kids will get but I want it to be memorable for them.

In a quick aside.. am I the only one to think Hollywood is crazy to NOT release classic movies back in the theater every now and then? I mean think how many people would head out for an early bird/matinee screening of Indy, Star Wars or for the older crowds Cassablanca or Gone with the Wind? I know I would go for about $5.

Thanks. :) I forgot to add that I feel your first introduction to the SW saga MUST be that Star Destroyer looming over the screen as it bears down on the Blockade Runner. I can't imagine anything immediately propelling you into the story like that first iconic scene.

You know that's one thing you can't help but wish Lucas would have thought about when making Phantom Menace. He should have thought about people seeing the sage in numeric order and made the introduction shot of TPM more powerful. Frankly, the opening few minutes of TPM pale so much in impact to to ANH, I might actually be disinterested if my first taste of Star Wars was a little ship coming up on a blockade, landing in a bay and sitting down for some tea. Even if the opening was a shot of the Trade Federation ships coming in to start the blockade and a few ships putting up a fight from Theed or something, could be more dynamic and have stronger impact for new viewers.

they lack the ability to watch the PT with the same frame of mind they did when seeing the OT for the first time.

Yeah cuz the prequels suck and the originals were awesome. It's Occam's Razor. :lol

There are some movies and TV shows I loved as a kid that now as an adult I realize weren't that great. Or that now my tastes have changed. Whichever. That's what happened with me and ROTJ. ROTJ happens to be the closest in tone/feel to the prequels.

It's all a big coincidence...

It stands to reason that if I still genuinely enjoy the originals as an adult then I would also genuinely enjoy the prequels since as you claim... they're totally consistent with the OT.

Frankly, the opening few minutes of TPM pale so much in impact to to ANH, I might actually be disinterested if my first taste of Star Wars was a little ship coming up on a blockade, landing in a bay and sitting down for some tea. Even if the opening was a shot of the Trade Federation ships coming in to start the blockade and a few ships putting up a fight from Theed or something, could be more dynamic and have stronger impact for new viewers.

I do thoroughly enjoy TPM, warts and all, but that was funny as hell (and true). :lol :duff

I like TPM as well, but if you look at TPM vs. ANH for an impacting introduction, ANH makes you think this is going to be great, where the opening of TPM makes you think, what the **** am I watching. If you had no idea who Obi-Wan Kenobi was, it really loses impact too. For me, I was excited to see Obi-Wan that first time, I was excited at the idea to see young Obi-Wan's life, and my anticipation was nicely rewarded thanks to Ewan.

The PT are sequels so they should have answered to the OT.

It's disgusting to me how people have accepted the reversal of that simply because it has the Lucas seal of approval.

The Expanded Universe also has that approval (yes I know it's not quite the same, it's all about the money). I might be in the minority with my dismissal of the PT but it's not really all that different than so many who care nothing about the EU. rite.... ?

Re: PT Changing How You View The OT/Volumes/EOS_DIGITAL/DCIM/378CANON/IMG_7857.JPG

Anymore info Dave? Curious.

Well, since I might end up using some of ideas for it elsewhere, I won't say anything else, but here's a shot of some of the earliest stuff...

0012265.jpg

Before my wife and I were married she had never seen the SW saga. So I had her watch them in this order: 4,5,1,2,3,6. I didn't want the surprise of ESB spoiled early but by the same token I didn't want the whole resolution of the saga spoiled before seeing the prequels.

So we watched Luke's story right up until Vader reveals who he really is. Then we watched the PT as sort of a "flashback interlude" before jumping back into Luke's adventure and the redemption of this much more fleshed out villain. Suddenly ROTJ has much bigger stakes and you *don't* know how it ends. Some old fans find controversy with the new ending of ROTJ, but my wife actually cried when young Anakin appeared before Luke in celebration of Luke's victory and the fall of the Empire.

Brilliant. I was planning on introducing the saga to any possible offspring as 1,2,3,4,5,6, but I think your way might be best after all.

Thanks for sharing on a bit of insight on what could have been. It's funny, I feel as if 2005 was the last hurrah so to speak. I think SW is slipping back to the uncool era of the mid 80's, which I am cool with as long as SSC and Lego still make stuff. :cool:

Actually Vader does see R2 after Mustafar; when he blows his head off with his TIE Fighter in the Death Star trench. Not that he would have recognized him of course, but I found it sadly ironic that one Episode earlier, Anakin was using his fighter to blast droids off of the hull of his friend's ship to save him. Then in ANH he shoots another droid attached to a fighter, this time it was one who used to be one of his most trusted allies.

Let me clarify my statement. They never shared the same space in any environment with an atmosphere.
:monkey3

I hope when the time comes I can show my kids ANH (probably in Blu Ray now :lol) in the clearest possible picture on a 50 inch HD TV. This is probably about as close to a theatrical release as my kids will get but I want it to be memorable for them.

In a quick aside.. am I the only one to think Hollywood is crazy to NOT release classic movies back in the theater every now and then? I mean think how many people would head out for an early bird/matinee screening of Indy, Star Wars or for the older crowds Cassablanca or Gone with the Wind? I know I would go for about $5.

I have a lot of DVDs. More than most people, including the films mentioned above, and I can't get anyone ot watch them. Hell, Rebecca --which is one of my favourite films-- even though I rave about it all the time I've never got anyone to sit down to watch it... and that would be for free at home with beers. Most people won't go out and pay to see something that isn't new.

Sad, but true.

Yeah cuz the prequels suck and the originals were awesome. It's Occam's Razor. :lol

There are some movies and TV shows I loved as a kid that now as an adult I realize weren't that great. Or that now my tastes have changed. Whichever. That's what happened with me and ROTJ. ROTJ happens to be the closest in tone/feel to the prequels.

It's all a big coincidence...

Oddly, when you look at ROTJ objectively, the meat of the story (stuff that deals with the characters that are Force sensitive), ROTJ has the most going on out of all the OT films. In fact, I'd say ROTS and ROTJ are equally the most important films in the saga. So much is handed to us, story wise, in ROTJ.

I can't understand how SW fans can seriously disrespect the most important film in the OT. The entire story in the OT revolves around Luke redeeming his father, in the same way that the Saga's tale revolves around Anakin getting redeemed.

I mean no offense when I say it, but I firmly believe that SW fans that don't hold ROTJ in the highest regards simply don't get SW at all.

The PT are sequels so they should have answered to the OT.

It's disgusting to me how people have accepted the reversal of that simply because it has the Lucas seal of approval.

The Expanded Universe also has that approval (yes I know it's not quite the same, it's all about the money). I might be in the minority with my dismissal of the PT but it's not really all that different than so many who care nothing about the EU. rite.... ?

I wonder why someone, with the opinion that SW is all about money, would be spending time posting in a forum dedicated to collecting SW merchandise...

Hey i was referring to EU. But maybe that was a little too mean. It's a nice opportunity for folks to add to the universe and have it reach a lot of people whether they like it or not

and i didn't say I hated ROTJ! come on!

I like ANH and ESB more than ROTJ so that means I don't get Star Wars? come on!

Why don't you come right out and proclaim that those who don't accept the PT are not real Star Wars fans?

Some guys like breasts. Some like asses. I like women...

I see SW the same way.

Post script to the above: EU is like fake boobs. Cheesy, unnatural, and just don't feel right.

Back