PS3 advice

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jack's Smirking Revenge
Reaction score
Looks like I'm gonna get a PS3 on 10th January, so for the freaks that own them, what advice tips would give me (good games etc)

Is it as easy as the 360 to set up internet connection?

What accounts do I need set up to play MGO?

Is the browser any good for web surfing (speed, security etc)?

Looks like I'm gonna get a PS3 on 10th January, so for the freaks that own them, what advice tips would give me (good games etc)

Hey, that's pretty good - welcome to the PS3 club :banana. Well, first of all, setting up the internet connection is easy as pie. All you need is broadband connection (wireless or wired), and a Playstation Network account (PSN account) from the Playstation website. Through your PSN account, you'll have an identity for playing online games, and you'll have access to the PSN store.

The browser is only as fast as your wireless access. So, if you have a fast broadband connection, you shouldn't worry about speed. As for security, I'm not so sure. I believe that the PS3 has a built-in firewall (but, don't take my word for it).

As for MGO, I still haven't played it as yet (even though I had MGS 4 since june :D).

Now, let's talk about games. Since you're just getting your PS3, I'm going to recommend "Uncharted: Drake's Fortune" as your first game. Drake's Fortune has tremendous replay value, and a fair amount of trophies to collect. Even though the game was released over a year ago, it's still my favorite PS3 game (besides MGS 4).

Some other titles you may like:
Little Big Planet
Call of Duty 4/5
Fallout 3
Oblivion
Warhawk
Far Cry 2
Ninja Gaiden Sigma
Resistance
Ratchet and Clank Future: Tools of Destruction

Well I can't comment on comparisons to setting up a 360 but I had no problem setting mine up, it'll automatically look for a wi-fi signal in the area and connect to it (mine is unprotected so I can't comment on the password side of it)

to play MGO you need your playstation network account and then for some reason 2 accounts with the game. One for the Konami network to purchase additional characters/maps etc and then one to play the game itself.

Browser was very functional. I still prefer to use the PC as I don't have a USB keyboard for the PS3, but it surfed nicely, easy to save pictures, browse YouTube etc.

Plus you know the PS3 is easy to use when you check the video's on the hard drive and find your Dad has filled it full of episodes of Coronation Street (weekly soap opera we have here) it also plays a good range of video codecs for those as well.

Edit : Damn Solidus beat me to it :lol
Out of my personal collection games I'd recommend is
Uncharted (Solidus is right it's an amazing game)
Metal Gear Solid 4
Clive Barkers Jericho
Lego Batman

Plus there's also the Playstation store which has loads of games to buy for cheap, old PS1 titles and some original games.

The steps for setting up internet are fairly easy and straight-forward. However, for whatever reason, the PS3 was incompatible with the security I was using on my wireless router and the internet connection just wouldn't work. Well, long story short, I plugged it in directly to my router, applied the updates and then, like magic, wireless started working.

I'm afraid if you run into any problems setting up the PS3, web forums are of no help and you usually get the "well you must be doing something wrong because mine works fine" type of comments.

For games, here's what I've been liking (out of the exclusives):

Uncharted
Little Big Planet
Singstar (this has been the latest obsession around our house)
Resistance (haven't played the second one yet)

Anyone got the official headset, I heard it solves any outstanding issues in regards to syncing with console & audio quality, it also is supposed to auto sync every time you power up

Exclusive Games:

MGS4
Uncharted
Ratchet & Clank Future: ToD & QfB
Resistance
Heavenly Sword

And of course the cross platform games:
Fallout 3, Call of Duty 4 and 5, Prince of Persia, Grand Theft Auto, etc...

:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl

what'd do you expect everyone I game with except one or two tell me the console is a POS

Make no mistake, if I didn't get a bigger xmas bonus than I was expecting then I wouldn't be getting it & if IMO it turns out to be a POS then it'll get sold

I'm putting faith in what bagels & Ill have said yet the oirish ********* laughs :rolleyes:

I just figured after all the hate you've spewed about PS3, you'd never buy one.

Hence the :rotfl:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl

Bout time ned!!

hey...I said ^^^^ but nothing compared to dudes that owned the system (Kit, badmoon etc)

If these guys talk sh@t about it then you can't blame my cynicism

what'd do you expect everyone I game with except one or two tell me the console is a POS

Make no mistake, if I didn't get a bigger xmas bonus than I was expecting then I wouldn't be getting it & if IMO it turns out to be a POS then it'll get sold

I'm putting faith in what bagels & Ill have said yet the oirish ********* laughs :rolleyes:

:lol And I appreciate it. I think you'll definitely enjoy it, and it will convince you to buy a larger HD TV to enjoy Blu-rays with.

And of course i'll give you ^^^^, that's my job. And i'm sure Ill will give you ^^^^ as well when he reads it. That's his job. :lol

hey...I said ^^^^ but nothing compared to dudes that owned the system (Kit, badmoon etc)

If these guys talk sh@t about it then you can't blame my cynicism

This, is true.

Its a nice system. Uncharted was really fun thats been the best game I've played on the PS3 so far. Setting up the internet was as easy as the 360. BR is the best thing about the PS3 though.

Ah...gotta love the effects of the console flame war. I have MANY PS3 friends that spew the same hate towards the "White Devil BoX" made my Mr. Gates... but to be honest, all of the consoles have pros and cons. Hell, I even enjoy playing my Wii :horror :D. Its all based on what your looking to get out of your machine that will matter most to you.

I, myself, really enjoy the gaming aspect of the PS3 as well as the Blu Ray player. My wife and I have a pretty large collection or Blu Ray movies and they look sick played on our 46" Sony Bravia LCD. The web browser on the PS3 is pretty decent as well...although I really don't use it very much because my PC is almost in the same room as the PS3. I do have some friends though that use it all the time because either they are too cheep to buy a computer or they use it when their computer breaks down. The PS3 does have an option to download an application from Trend Micro to help better protect your PS3 from invasions...but there again, it is almost impossible to get a virus on your PS3 anyway...which is another reason that I love the machine...not to mention that you can upgrade your Hard drive on the machine and it doesn't void the warranty...in fact, the instruction booklet that comes with the machine actually tells you how to do it LOL!

Good choice Karma its a win win situation. You get a blu ray player and get to play games like Resistance 1 and 2, Uncharted, MGS 4 and a couple of others that I haven't played yet plus Killzone 2 and God Of War is right around the corner.

Ok network setup can be easy but then I have had to help a number of people get things worked out so they can get the right nat level so chat works and things like that. As far as the headset any blue tooth works but then just like cell phones some work great but a lot of them are crap. There are some games that don't auto connect to the headset when started so they recommended going in a making sure it connected via test then start the game. I have not tried in so long so I have no idea anymore.

Oh yeah Kain send me your modem model number again

Back