Prometheus Sequel (ALIEN: Covenant)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I disagree. I think it's all in how it is filmed. I could easily watch the live-action Flintstones movie and conclude that John Goodman isn't remotely scary. But then if I immediately put in the blu-ray for 10 Cloverfield Lane...

Sharks kind of became a joke after Jaws 3-D, Jaws The Revenge and Deep Blue Sea but then Open Water came out and made them scary again. I think one of the most important aspects for movies like these is to present characters that we like and are invested in and that we don't want to die. Then we can worry and be afraid for them even if they're up against a familiar beast or bad guy played by an actor who used to do silly comedies or what have you.

Obviously the foolishness of the characters in Covenant had most people rooting for the aliens so they obviously failed in that regard, lol.

One thing that really struck me listening to the Ridley Scott commentary track for Covenant was his comment that he watched the original ALIEN again before making Covenant and that it was so old and so far removed from who he currently is that he almost felt like he was watching a movie directed by someone else. BOOM. If that doesn't totally nuke the thought that "well it has to be canon since it was made by the same guy" then I don't know what will. When these directors go make sequels or prequels decades later it might as well be a brand new filmmaker because for all intents and purposes they ARE different filmmakers.

Which is why we're seeing guys like Abrams and Edwards making SW films better than Lucas did with the prequels and why Neil Blomkamp just might be a better choice for an ALIEN flick than the man who started it all.

alien creature made scary again

1396108606-alien-isolation.jpg

Damn right. Isolation was nerve racking to play. Funny how some game studio did better than Ridley himself.

I'm not sure that's a fair comparison though. If Alien Isolation was just you watching a long cut-scene - with no participation - would it still be scary?

I'm not sure that's a fair comparison though. If Alien Isolation was just you watching a long cut-scene - with no participation - would it still be scary?

Compared to covenant, yes

I watched the playthrough on youtube and it is creepy

Compared to covenant, yes

I watched the playthrough on youtube and it is creepy

I honestly think the way it's portrayed is the scariest the Xeno has ever been. I only played through it once since the game length is daunting, but it's a love letter to Alien for sure.

game is tough but worth it in the end. If you love the first Alien movie, it's a must, and yes I agree this game's play thru video is better than Covenant. They should seriously think about 'rebooting' the franchise with a film version of this game. it would work, if done right and Ridley stays far away from it as possible with a written restraining order!

Personally I hated the idea of turning Amanda Ripley into Ellen Ripley 2.0 and also encountering the Alien.

This woman lived a normal quiet life on Earth, I doubt she even went into space

vlcsnap-2017-09-07-03h21m48s198 (Medium).jpg

I agree with you there. But eh, there's been ****tier things done with the lore of the series that I can ignore it.

A quick synopsis if you don't know. The black box from the Nostromo is recovered by a freighter which is the same make as the Nostromo called Sevastopol, which is orbiting the gas giant from Alien and Aliens and she goes to see what's on it and the game takes place aboard the Sevastopol.

The cat and mouse stuff hiding from the Xeno is perfectly done. Especially hiding in a locker and you have to hold a button to hold your breathe because it will hear it. It's impossible to go through the game without dying several dozen times. It's quite fun trying to locate by sound where it is since it uses vents quite a lot and often times you'll find it in the vents.

I do love the fact that you can't kill it either. You can only scare it off and there comes a point in time where it's not scared of the flamethrower much at all and it takes way more gas to make it take off.

Here's a neat trick to get rid of humans. This was taken by me.

Last edited:
You're telling me :lol I'm just glad the AI decided to not inspect behind that crate after it just zapped that other guy hiding.

I do love the fact that you can't kill it either. You can only scare it off and there comes a point in time where it's not scared of the flamethrower much at all and it takes way more gas to make it take off.

I like how if you’ve ran out of fuel for the flamethrower but aim it at the alien anyway it will recoil and hesitate before realising your out. Hearing it scream and bolt into a vent after setting of a molotov trap was always satisfying too.

A dark room, decent set of headphones and being stuck in the same vent as the alien. I’m not sure they’ll ever capture that on film.

I like how if you’ve ran out of fuel for the flamethrower but aim it at the alien anyway it will recoil and hesitate before realising your out. Hearing it scream and bolt into a vent after setting of a molotov trap was always satisfying too.

A dark room, decent set of headphones and being stuck in the same vent as the alien. I’m not sure they’ll ever capture that on film.

That could definitely be captured on film,
It would take a good director, but that claustrophobia and tension has already been accomplished in some movies

I really enjoyed this, it mentions a lot of things to like about Alien: Covenant. Refreshing to see someone doing positive fun reviews in addition to all the fun negative ones ever present on Youtube:

Back