Statue Predator 2 City Hunter 1:4 Maquette.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Predator 2 City Hunter 1:4 Maquette. BACK UP FOR PO.

This piece had the potential to be a grail and what they produced, instead, was quite lazy and uninspired. This was also postponed/delayed, with an opportunity to make some corrections, but Sideshow reps stated that nothing was going to change. It appears that they are content with their efforts. Basically they are saying that they are OK with:

- missing quills;
- undersized combi stick (spear);
- dreads coming outwards from the head then dropping down, instead of immediately coming downward;
- strange choice of base: why is there a row of teeth at the center of the base?
- that bio mask. OMG! THAT BIO MASK!! :slap

And still with a $1,200 USD price tag.

I think there's a general feeling of disappointment simply because many have waited a long time to get a quality P2 in this scale. We wanted this to be the one.
Such a missed opportunity here.

Not only all that(and a weak EX), but this design failure and the negative impact of the delay will probably make sure no more get made in the future due to lack of sales. I can still remember the day this and the 1:1 bio were shown, such a downer. They took 2 sure things and just phoned them as if the sales were going to come no matter how inaccurate and poorly executed they were.

I see they changed the angle of the legs and torso. Maybe to prevent leaning after the melting City Hunter we saw in those old pics?

I thought it was just my phone screen when looking last night, but it is very orange, could just be those pictures though. Is it me, or does this seem to lean slightly?

where's that damn Cool Props bust......whoops, wrong thread

They took 2 sure things and just phoned them as if the sales were going to come no matter how inaccurate and poorly executed they were.

I get that vibe fairly often from Sideshow products these last few years, particularly with their Alien and Predator stuff.

I get that vibe fairly often from Sideshow products these last few years, particularly with their Alien and Predator stuff.

Where did the passion and/or pride in your work go? I was surprised how well Machiko came out considering how long we have gone between quality A/P pieces. This should have been an instant sell out/grail and here we are a year later and only a handful of people even want it and the low ES EX is still available(I doubt even the old 300 ES would be sold out yet either).

Where did the passion and/or pride in your work go?

In fairness, we have to bear in mind that some people who worked on this did wish to act on the customer feedback and tried to push through some changes. I wrote out a good two or three pages worth of notes on what could be done at the art designers request while this was on hold. They weren't allowed to do so. So this question shouldn't be asked of Sideshow as a whole, many people there have a passion and a willingness to better things. It is whoever makes these decisions it should ultimately be aimed at.

That doesn't change the fact that this the biggest missed opportunity I've ever seen in the hobby of course, just worth noting.

Sideshow, as a company, is huge. Probably bigger than most of the other companies combined, it's not a company ran by artists since a long time ago, if it ever was... the ones who actually sculpt, paint, design, engineer and imagine these pieces surely have a good amount of other people above them telling them what to do and how to do it.

Sideshow, as a company, is huge. Probably bigger than most of the other companies combined, it's not a company ran by artists since a long time ago, if it ever was... the ones who actually sculpt, paint, design, engineer and imagine these pieces surely have a good amount of other people above them telling them what to do and how to do it.

That is a pretty poor excuse. Anyone with eyes can see that this is not right, artist or not. Not even taking into account the whole cancel/delay/higher ES fiasco.

Oh not an excuse, I think that by now everyone knows I'm not one of those who like to defend Sideshow in every single instance, quite the opposite. Just making a distinction between those who do something for passion (the artists) and those only interested in releasing something "good enough" to sell X amount of pieces, that would be, the ones who effectively run the company. And given the fact that not even the Ex is selling, as you pointed out, they even failed miserably in that easy task.
I completely agree with you and Python on the statue, this is one of the biggest letdowns ever in this hobby, it's like if they made a blonde Superman with no symbol on his chest and pink panties.

I know its a lot of money and we shouldn't have to fix flaws on our own. This has potential and we won't even see another P2 statue in this scale for a long time. Prime 1 will probably do another P1. so i will get someone to add quills and touch up the bio.

I know its a lot of money and we shouldn't have to fix flaws on our own. This has potential and we won't even see another P2 statue in this scale for a long time. Prime 1 will probably do another P1. so i will get someone to add quills and touch up the bio.

and resculpt the ugly unmaked head and bio, fix both sets of dreds, spear, base, paint... yea some real potential there. You would be better off starting from scratch. Hopefully Coolprops comes through with one or Narin bothers to finish his. I hate to say it, but Hot Toys will probably come out with a better P2 when they finally do their 1/4 preds.

Out of curiosity, you already have an idea on how to proceed? The bio should have an entirely different shape, I've thought long and large about some way to tweak the bio and the dreads but it seems that sculpting a whole new masked head is the only way to go.

and resculpt the ugly unmaked head and bio, fix both sets of dreds, spear, base, paint... yea some real potential there. You would be better off starting from scratch. Hopefully Coolprops comes through with one or Narin bothers to finish his. I hate to say it, but Hot Toys will probably come out with a better P2 when they finally do their 1/4 preds.

Not to worried about the dreads and the spear, the quills and the bio are my concern.

Not to worried about the dreads and the spear, the quills and the bio are my concern.
That is still going to be a lot of work to fix. I could see doing that if you get a massive discount, but at retail that is a lot to do for $1200+ship.

One more flex to go... then this will no doubt be delayed for 12 months :lol

We should commission the dude who did the "giving the finger" hand for the LOBO statue.

Get him to hack / re-sculpt the head, correct the dreds, add quills, switch to open mandibles & re-sculpt (completely!) the bio, throw in a longer spear, then I could ALMOST put up with that base . . . almost.

As has been said SOOOO many times by better men than I - this is the Everest of missed opportunities :slap

I feel bad for all you predator superfans. I just read all these post and all the complaints and I look at the final product and I say... "Looks good to me"

Granted it's not 1200.00 good.

But I am far from a superfan especially of Part II.

Hope those that are getting this are happy with the final product.

What is all this about decals???? Where are the decals?

Back