Poll: Who do you hate more? Ewoks or Jar Jar Binks

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Who do you hate more?

• Ewoks

Votes: 18 19.1%
  • Jar Jar Binks

Votes: 76 80.9%

• Total voters
I love the bit in that Rick McCallum quote where he states that the TV series will be much more "character based" and "everything the fans always wanted the prequels to be". That's virtually an admission that the prequels sucked from GL's chief yes man :lol

bcm77 said:
I love the bit in that Rick McCallum quote where he states that the TV series will be much more "character based" and "everything the fans always wanted the prequels to be". That's virtually an admission that the prequels sucked from GL's chief yes man :lol

:rotfl

Makes you ask "why couldn't the prequels have been done like that in that first place?"

Who I pick in this poll? Easily Jar Jar. One of the absolute worst fictional characters of all time, IMHO. Only there for comic relief and nothing more.

bcm77 said:

I think he was meaning more of what fans thought the prequels would be. Though, I don't think this is him saying they sucked but that some fans wanted the prequels to be more character based.

The ones saying the PT sucked are OT fans that can't get past the stage of being 10 years old.

jlcmsu said:
The ones saying the PT sucked are OT fans that can't get past the stage of being 10 years old.
Or perhaps it's because they are past the stage of being 10 years old.

jlcmsu said:

Not true at all. I didn't like Star Wars as a child and I was born after the original trilogy was released in theaters. I didn't sit down and watch the OT seriously until I was around thirteen years old. And I greatly dislike the PT because I feel it was a waste of potential and lacked in the storytelling and character departments.

Not every SW fan is the hardcore type that blindly accepts anything with the SW name attached to it so maybe those that prefer the OT were just not as entertained by the PT.

TheObsoleteMan said:
Or perhaps it's because they are past the stage of being 10 years old.

They might be in age but how they act is another matter. The funny thing is that these kids growing up now love the PT as much as we all do the OT. So I kind of find it silly to go around bashing what someone else might love. The PT is this generations OT.

Josette said:
Not true at all. I didn't like Star Wars as a child and I was born after the original trilogy was released in theaters. I didn't sit down and watch the OT seriously until I was around thirteen years old. And I greatly dislike the PT because I feel it was a waste of potential and lacked in the storytelling and character departments.

I was born after all but ROTJ so I'm like you stuck between the two. However, I love both equally because it tells the WHOLE story of Anakins life and how he turned and became Vader. I have to disagree completely that the PT missed the mark in anyway with the exception of Jar-Jar. I just honestly feel some OT fans just refuse to like the PT because they can't let go of their feelings as a child and yes thirteen is still a child.

bcm77 said:
Not every SW fan is the hardcore type that blindly accepts anything with the SW name attached to it so maybe those that prefer the OT were just not as entertained by the PT.

Maybe so with some but I don't believe that's the case with others.

Re: Poll: Who do you more? Ewoks or Jar Jar Binks

So since when can someone no longer have an opinion on what films they prefer? Pity the day we all have to agree on that.

Oh, and I voted for Jar-Jar. :emperor

jlcmsu said:
I just honestly feel some OT fans just refuse to like the PT because they can't let go of their feelings as a child and yes thirteen is still a child.

Why is it so hard to believe that I have reasons for liking the PT that have nothing to do with any sort of nostalgia? I feel it is bad from a writing and character standpoint and could write an essay on it and never once would I mention the word "nostalgia". My dislike of the prequels has absolutely nothing at all to do with my age when I saw the OT (which was certainly old enough) - I simply think they're poorly done films.

bcm77 said:
I think GL's intention was to show that the "little guy" with the right spirit can rise up and have their day against bigger,more powerful foes and in that respect the Ewoks worked.

That's very true. Lucas has mentioned that the Ewoks/Empire battle is an allegory of his own feelings on the Vietnam war. One primitive society defending their home against a technically superior opponent. It's pretty interesting if you think of it in that sense, although I do wish the characters looked more alien than just "teddy bears".

As for PT haters, I find the PT extremely interesting visually. I was reading through my Dressing the Galaxy book yesterday, and the costume work is stunning.

I watched AOTC the other day for the first time in a while, and I actually liked it. It's by far my least favorite of the 6 Star Wars films, but I still find some really cool stuff in that film. I just LOVE the planet Kamino, and I wish that Lucas would have shown what the world looks like under the water there. My imagination runs wild with that thought everytime I see the planet. I always wanted a massive underwater Star Wars battle before the PT was even made. I just thought that would be cool. We do see Kit Fisto attack underwater in the CW series, and I would have loved to see that onscreen.

LOTRFan said:
So since when can someone no longer have an opinion on what films they prefer? Pity the day we all have to agree on that.

Now Matt you know that's not what I'm saying.:confused:

Josette said:
Why is it so hard to believe that I have reasons for liking the PT that have nothing to do with any sort of nostalgia? I feel it is bad from a writing and character standpoint and could write an essay on it and never once would I mention the word "nostalgia". My dislike of the prequels has absolutely nothing at all to do with my age when I saw the OT (which was certainly old enough) - I simply think they're poorly done films.

Then fine but I hate to break it to ya that the OT isn't much better as far as writing goes that's for sure. I don't watch SW for the dialouge anways because I know it's gonna be cheesy.

As far as age playing a part it might not for you but I honestly feel this is the case with lots of OT fans. It's just like anything else your feelings towards things as a child do play a role in how you feel as an adult in lots cases. Not all but lots.

Last edited:
In all honesty, I only like Star Wars and Empire, and really dislike all the other 4 movies, so I can't really even say "I love the original trilogy". I just like the first two. Emmensely.

People liking or not liking something does often come from age. Not that they can't think beyond that. I love Doctor Who and it is my favorite tv show ever. However, I grew up on it in the 70's. I could look past the bad effects and just love the show. It would be pretty hard for a child of today to watch the classic stuff and still enjoy it today. So something like that is an age thing.
My wife can tolerate the old show, but loves the updated new Who show.
I guess as with everything, "it's from a certain perspective".

I'd have to say if most original trilogy lovers don't like the new trilogy (and there are certaily good things to take out of them like some of the aliens-Lucas had a billion guys designing things), its mostly because if we fans were old enough to see the OT in the theater as the movies came out, we had twenty years to think of our own expanded SW universe before there was the books or anything and thoughts as to what the Clone Wars were about, etc, (and I'm sure ALL of our ideas were better than Lucas').

Bad acting, cardboard characters, bad writing .

I just think Lucas had the money to hire the right people to have made the prequels perfect. They should have been beyond amazing, or at least, REALLY REALLY damned good. And if not the first movie, then by the second one. Hire twenty writers. Hire a monkey. Even a hack monkey could have helped the scripts a little more (so why does a shape changing bounty hunter need to wear a helmeted mask in part two?). How could a guy who did SW and Empore get so out of touch with writing and making a movie so hard?

I don't disagree with that.

I'm really not trying to step on anyones toes at all or limit what's being discussed. I'm just simply aruging my point. I apologize if I did step on anyones toes.:chew

I don't really hate either so I would had voted neither if it was an option. However, if forced to pick I'd go with Jar Jar. He had way too much screen time and his element of comedy was way overdone.

Don't appologize for expressing your oppinion. That's what these boards are for. I definately prefer the OT, but I also enjoy the PT. And I love Clone Wars.

And just so you know, Lucas is first working on the third volume of Clone Wars. It is supposed to be more indepth. Also supposed to be in a Pixar kind of animation.

If you like the prequels then there must be something wrong with you. OT trumps all!

:chew :emperor ~Dance Chewy, Dance!

Re: Poll: Who do you more? Ewoks or Jar Jar Binks

Darth Loki said:
Don't appologize for expressing your oppinion. That's what these boards are for. I definately prefer the OT, but I also enjoy the PT. And I love Clone Wars.

That is certainly what these boards are for, and as long as all opinions are allowed and respected (not necessarily agreed with) it makes for a wonderful atmosphere.

If the "when I want your opinion, I'll give it to you" attitude takes over, well we all lose out.

I do think how I felt about the OT when it came out influences how I see the PT. The first 2 movies especially influenced the direction of my life in many ways, in choice of careers at least. There will always be a nostalgia factor at work when judging ANH or ESB. I just watched Jedi again last week and was a little surprised that it's held up as well as it has (at least for me). I do miss the "lug nuts" song though...

I can recognize poor dialogue, awkward direction and stilted acting in the OT and PT both. But I still think there are very cool things about the PT, including the overarching story of Vader's fall.

For all of it's problems I do actually enjoy the PT, but I think it's far more compelling as Obi-Wan's story than Anakin's. The way Anakin is presented makes Vader even less sympathetic in the OT.

TheObsoleteMan said:
For all of it's problems I do actually enjoy the PT, but I think it's far more compelling as Obi-Wan's story than Anakin's. The way Anakin is presented makes Vader even less sympathetic in the OT.

See now for me I feel even sorrier for Vader because I know that he did what he did because he loved Padme. I do agree though it really adds to Obi-Wan and makes me really appreciate him even more.

Back