The Magic Number

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Victοr

BANNED
Reaction score
By that I mean the amount of figures you're allowing your collection to contain. Some may collect without thinking of such a limitation, but I believe most who get into the hobby seriously, do set a number, in rough terms, in order to have a gameplan. Granted, others decide to focus on one specific license, so they sidestep that by not really needing it, as they're just getting a bit of everything that revolves around that one thing.

But to those of you who are 1/6th-only (or at least mainly) and have a broader range of interests; in which "zone" are you ? The Justin types who buy anything and everything I think are few and far between. The rest of us have to choose. However, for some that means 10 to 30 figures of their all-time classics, while others blow it up to ~100. Some stick to that "Magic Number" by selling and replacing figures, while others are more likely to bend the rules a bit, and add some extra slots if something comes about.

But let's say you have a number in mind. Do different costumes/looks of the same character count as a different figure (Civil War Cap for you Cap Dislay & Endgame Cap for your Avengers Display) ? Do different incarnations (Baleman & Battfleck, Tobey-Man & Iron Boy, etc) count as different figures and take up a spot ? In that magic number, do you factor in pipe dreams and whishlists ? For example, even if it takes a long while, I think the vast majority of Star Wars characters will eventually at some point be made. But a cult classic film from 30 years ago which you love might never see any merch, let alone a 1/6th figure. Do you pass on an extra Trooper or hot new Flavour Of The Month because you're keeping a spot open for that pipedream ? What happens when/if you get into a new thing and suddenly you need ~4 figures from it ? Does somebody else get bumped from the list, or at they simply added ?

So, do you have a "Magic Number" ? If you do, what's the ballpark ? And ultimately, how do you work with it ?

The Magic Number has changed for me over the last ten years.

Guys like @Wor-Gar will remember that I developed carefully thought out, near-obsessive curatorial rules that touched on everything from figure selection (appearance, meaningful IPs, quality) to tight limits on numbers so my collection didn't overwhelm my minimal-modern interior design proclivities.

I think it was never higher than 30, dropped to 15 at one point ... and now I've sort of seen everything one-sixth has had to offer, and lived with it for years, so I've let most of that go and focus more on other interests these days in terms of disposable income. No regrets, it was always great entertainment and an escapist idle, but I seem to have lost the drive for it, which is totally expected and fine.

By 'letting that go' I mean I no longer worry too much about what's represented, nothing is 'needed'.

I'll probably always have maybe five or six figures kicking around the house at maximum; and they'll likely be whatever I'm interested in at the time with no grand plan other than amusement. A very far cry from the almost darthkostis-like attention I used to pay to this stuff.

These days I'm more interested in finding contemporary art I like, or maybe mid-20th century modern furniture as I'm finally in a position to afford the odd piece. And as COVID downgrades I'd like to get back to travel, but in a one-eighty from my jaunts to major European and US cities, I'd like to see some deserts and rainforests next, although I've yet to make it to Japan which remains on my list.

I don't have any number in mind but I'm getting close to my limit without my collection space feeling crowded, after the statues I have on order come in I'll probably be done, and the only pieces I buy will be to replace my current ones. Otherwise it'll never end and everything will look cluttered and messy

I wish I had a magic number. I keep considering better curating rules but the lure just keeps me coming back. I keep thinking about what I can sell but I keep coming up with stupid reasons to keep them. And then there are the preorders! I’ve always had issues having self control all the way back to the late seventies. I’m not Justin bad but I’m definitely not Wor-Gar good. I will keep trying to be good I swear. Maybe I should have posted in How To Beat Collecting Addiction instead!

The Magic Number has changed for me over the last ten years.

Guys like @Wor-Gar will remember that I developed carefully thought out, near-obsessive curatorial rules that touched on everything from figure selection (appearance, meaningful IPs, quality) to tight limits on numbers so my collection didn't overwhelm my minimal-modern interior design proclivities.

I think it was never higher than 30, dropped to 15 at one point ... and now I've sort of seen everything one-sixth has had to offer, and lived with it for years, so I've let most of that go and focus more on other interests these days in terms of disposable income. No regrets, it was always great entertainment and an escapist idle, but I seem to have lost the drive for it, which is totally expected and fine.

By 'letting that go' I mean I no longer worry too much about what's represented, nothing is 'needed'.

I'll probably always have maybe five or six figures kicking around the house at maximum; and they'll likely be whatever I'm interested in at the time with no grand plan other than amusement. A very far cry from the almost darthkostis-like attention I used to pay to this stuff.
Interesting. You are right on the "nothing is needed" bit. I think we all start with this idea of representation, one or two figures acting as physical manifestations of a larger whole, but then it snowballs from there. Ultimately they are plastic dolls that serve no function, so when you feel yourself getting in too deep, you have to ask some questions.

I don't think I could ever drop it to the <10 number. There's just too many things I'm into, even if I got one figure per IP. But in a way that's why I try to be selective; I know I can't resell them, so every figure must be bought with the idea that it'll never get replaced or discarded. Even if I could let them go, the whole idea of selling and shipping from here is far too taxing. So it's better to wait a decade and pick the definitive looks and costumes, rather than impulsively jump on whatever tickles my fancy. I just hope that by the 2030s I'm done with this.

These days I'm more interested in finding contemporary art I like, or maybe mid-20th century modern furniture as I'm finally in a position to afford the odd piece. And as COVID downgrades I'd like to get back to travel, but in a one-eighty from my jaunts to major European and US cities, I'd like to see some deserts and rainforests next, although I've yet to make it to Japan which remains on my list.
I want to move to more professional collections, but that's a long ways off. This is my way of putting an end to my pop culture ways, and a reason why I don't want to do it forever; I want to get what I need and get out.

I don't have any number in mind but I'm getting close to my limit without my collection space feeling crowded, after the statues I have on order come in I'll probably be done, and the only pieces I buy will be to replace my current ones. Otherwise it'll never end and everything will look cluttered and messy
That's the big one. When you're Pre-Ordering and mapping the space you feel that it'll all work, but then even the two extra pieces start cluttering the display. All these things have to be curated, otherwise we might as well have stuck with Mezco 6"ers.

I wish I had a magic number. I keep considering better curating rules but the lure just keeps me coming back. I keep thinking about what I can sell but I keep coming up with stupid reasons to keep them. And then there are the preorders! I’ve always had issues having self control all the way back to the late seventies. I’m not Justin bad but I’m definitely not Wor-Gar good. I will keep trying to be good I swear. Maybe I should have posted in How To Beat Collecting Addiction instead!
As someone else with an "addictive personality" so to speak, my solution is to be too attached to the source and wait until the last minute. If Marvel/DC/etc character isn't close to the comic look, I wait. If something's new and exciting and I get swept up with the hype, I wait at least a month, and most times more than that, until I make a PO. I also set up "theme corners" (X-Men, General Sci-Fi, Batman, Film Classics, and so on). That way you cut out random things that don't fit anywhere yet entice you.

Ultimately it comes down to being able to discern between things you just "like" and the ones you "love". You can get one of the former every once in a while, but most of the collection has to belong in the category of the latter.

No magic number. Never even crossed my mind. I know not to buy stuff I don't "want" just cause it's part of a line I collect, but I'd never limit myself in any other way.

Of course, I MOSTLY collect 6 inch figures and not statues or 1/6, so it's a lot more manageable, money-wise and space-wise.

My only real rule is "don't buy something you don't want out of any sense of obligation."

I only buy things I know I'm really gonna like.

No magic number. Never even crossed my mind. I know not to buy stuff I don't "want" just cause it's part of a line I collect, but I'd never limit myself in any other way.

Of course, I MOSTLY collect 6 inch figures and not statues or 1/6, so it's a lot more manageable, money-wise and space-wise.

My only real rule is "don't buy something you don't want out of any sense of obligation."

I only buy things I know I'm really gonna like.
Good on you for sticking with it. I never could. Eventually some form of completionism gets to me.

I myself don't think of it as a limit, but more like a guideline. But then again it depends on what you want out of such collections too. A never-ending hunt, or something that you think can be completed as some specific point.

Oh, when I've collected all the characters I want out of a line, 100%, and the line keeps going? Makes no difference to me. I'm OUT!

I'm one pre-order away from being complete with GI Joe Classified and that's cool. Sure, there may always be one or two that come out later and I think "Eh, why not?" and grab it...but for the most part, once my "internal list" of favorites is met, I have no desire to "continue the hunt."

There's ALWAYS gonna be something cool I want, right around the corner. Just not necessarily from the same lines.

Oh, when I've collected all the characters I want out of a line, 100%, and the line keeps going? Makes no difference to me. I'm OUT!

I'm one pre-order away from being complete with GI Joe Classified and that's cool. Sure, there may always be one or two that come out later and I think "Eh, why not?" and grab it...but for the most part, once my "internal list" of favorites is met, I have no desire to "continue the hunt."

There's ALWAYS gonna be something cool I want, right around the corner. Just not necessarily from the same lines.
That's more or less how I try and treat it all. There are a couple of characters that will always interest me and I'll check out, but I try to keep it at a minimum. I don't know, maybe 20 years from now we'll have a rebooted MCU. I don't want to start the same exact 1/6th collection again, you know? At some point I want it to end. But I'll keep an eye out for merch of 5 characters and 2 IPs. Collecting Pop Culture can became too much of a hassle if you have no end goals.

We're all lucky we were into real action figures and didn't start with the Funko Pop thing. (I know there's some people that like them, but man, those dead glassy eyes freak me out.)

Collecting any subset of that line almost demands completionism, and they're relatively cheap except for the exclusives, so it can certainly lead to a lot of harmful overspending.

I only own three (Axl Rose, Slash, and Duff) and I intend to keep it that way. But that's a perfect example....wouldn't Axl have been enough? No....gotta have Slash too. Well hey, I have Slash and Axl, what would it hurt to just add Duff? And before you know it, I now own THREE Funko Pops.

Oh, as far as Pops go I only have their Dooms. Beyond my 1/6ths, I'm not tempted by much. Some of these imported 1/12th figures look cool but I easily pass on them due to their prices. I'll get the Dooms, but that's it. Really, I'll be tempted by some characters and IPs across various formats, but that's as far as it goes.

Interesting. You are right on the "nothing is needed" bit. I think we all start with this idea of representation, one or two figures acting as physical manifestations of a larger whole, but then it snowballs from there. Ultimately they are plastic dolls that serve no function, so when you feel yourself getting in too deep, you have to ask some questions.
I got within two figures of having all my 'essentials' but before they came out, I had moved on. So I never actually saw my vision completed :ROFLMAO: ... which is very much like me in the sense that physical objects fascinate me from an artistic point of view, but don't have much of a hold on me. It's all process and journey and sometimes it just ... ends.

It's different for me with art objects, partly because what I do have is one of a kind or so scarce it may as well be, but rarity is not the driving force for me -- I think it's just that the art I love is based on aesthetic principles and human ideas that are far older and far more enduring than most things pop culture.

To employ a food analogy -- I really love potato chips but I can live without them; on the other hand dark leafy greens and cruciform vegetables keep me alive and healthy.

I got within two figures of having all my 'essentials' but before they came out, I had moved on. So I never actually saw my vision completed :ROFLMAO: ... which is very much like me in the sense that physical objects fascinate me from an artistic point of view, but don't have much of a hold on me. It's all process and journey and sometimes it just ... ends.

It's different for me with art objects, partly because what I do have is one of a kind or so scarce it may as well be, but rarity is not the driving force for me -- I think it's just that the art I love is based on aesthetic principles and human ideas that are far older and far more enduring than most things pop culture.

To employ a food analogy -- I really love potato chips but I can live without them; on the other hand dark leafy greens and cruciform vegetables keep me alive and healthy.
Interesting. I wish I was like that, but my completionist urges get the better of me. Best I can hope for is that I’m able to contain it.

If I collected based on aesthetics only like you say, I’d stuck with finely tailored suits and armours, with historical flavours of all kinds thrown in. It’s why I like characters like Doom, Namor, Panther and the such; there’s something extra there. But even then I’d extend “armour” to space armour and I’d be more or less at the same place as I am now.

Ah well, whatever works. As long as you don’t lose it completely. I wish I was a bit different than I am in regards to these things, but I do have things under control, so it is what it is. I am jealous of more “condensed” collections though. Mostly because how well they usually go together, as when you boil it down to just the “essentials”, you can see a person’s whole taste.

Interesting. I wish I was like that, but my completionist urges get the better of me. Best I can hope for is that I’m able to contain it.
I don't think I've ever been a completionist. Too much stuff (I mean in general, not just collectibles) bothers me. I like essentials, efficiency and space.
as when you boil it down to just the “essentials”, you can see a person’s whole taste.
Absolute essentials is easy for me:
  • Classic Spidey covers superhero comics.
  • Luke Skywalker from The Empire Strikes Back covers fantasy and sci fi.
  • Bruce Lee covers martial arts.
If I wanted to get wild and crazy I'd add in a Batman iteration.

Everything else is just variations on a theme. Which is not to say I don't enjoy them but I no longer feel a drive to collect them. I can't remember who said it in a thread about collecting addiction -- just because you love a property doesn't mean you have to collect it.

I don't think I've ever been a completionist. Too much stuff (I mean in general, not just collectibles) bothers me. I like essentials, efficiency and space.
It's always been a fight for me. On one hand I like to curate, on the other I want it all.

Absolute essentials is easy for me:
  • Classic Spidey covers superhero comics.
  • Luke Skywalker from The Empire Strikes Back covers fantasy and sci fi.
  • Bruce Lee covers martial arts.
If I wanted to get wild and crazy I'd add in a Batman iteration.
I don't think I could go that low. Maybe a well rounded 10. A representative from every genre and medium of sorts. But a Top 3 is hard specifically because I can't say with certainty that I like anything/anyone that much. In the end I may as well just buy a Doom, build a Throne diorama, commission an idealised headsculpt of myself, put it on him, and call it a day.

Everything else is just variations on a theme. Which is not to say I don't enjoy them but I no longer feel a drive to collect them. I can't remember who said it in a thread about collecting addiction -- just because you love a property doesn't mean you have to collect it.
I feel you. I go back and forth on it. The more I wait, the more I draw this entire affair out, the less pull I feel to complete it all, but the desire is still there. Nevertheless, I understand the lack of drive. It's similar to when you like, say, a movie, but you're not really in the mood to rewatch it. You're fond of it still, yes, and you could enjoy sitting through it again, but not now. Maybe not within the year even. It's sort of like that.

But as I've said before, these dolls act as bookends of sorts for me. If I have the doll, the Omni/DVD/CD/Game/etc, then I can comfortably walk away. It first got to me when I realised that nothing in capebooks mattered; they would always continue with contrived stories and would never end. Thus I needed a dropping off point. I figured if I picked one there, then I could do the same with a physical representation. It's just that what started as that, slightly tilted towards a "broader" collection.

It's why I'm trying to see if a "number" could help. But the problem arises in all the hypotheticals. Longshots and pipedreams that will never be made and their exclusive spot could go to something more tangible. I think it's about finding a balance between the two.

A lot of very good points have been made so far that I fully agree with:

just because you love a property doesn't mean you have to collect it.

This is something I've discovered for myself over the years as well. When years ago I thought I might 'need' something in my collection, I realized that there is no such thing. Nothing is needed in the first place, and just because I love something, that does not mean that I need a physical representation of that item/character/franchise/etc. My collection consists almost entirely out of movie characters. But to view my collection, and then draw the conclusion that those are my favorite movies wouldn't work - they are simply the figures that I like for a variety of reasons, one important factor being aesthetics. My favorite movie - Jaws - is not even represented in my collection, simply because I don't care for having regular guys in plainclothes on my shelves. (This is not the *best* example, since I would actually like a Bruce the shark some day though, but there simply hasn't been a release that satisfied my quality demand and price/quality ratio...).

"don't buy something you don't want out of any sense of obligation."
Very wise words. Given that we are "collectors", it often seems like completionism is a logical next step, but it's really not. Of course there are reasons why they often go hand in hand, but I think one of them is actually marketing. "Gotta catch 'em all", grouping things in waves, collections, series, to make it seem like you need them, poking at the OCD many have (or think they have). But once you disentangle the actual want from the sense of obligation, in my experience it makes the hobby much more enjoyable.

To answer your question, I've never had any magical number in mind. I simply buy what I like and can afford. However, I do have a sense of control that I don't spend beyond my means, and that I don't like my collection looking crowded (been there, done that, back in high school when my room was covered in McFarlane and Hasbro toys).
Having said that though, looking back at my 1/6 collection over the past decade, it seems that there might actually be a number that works for me since my collection has hovered around that number for a while now - which is around 20.

Having collected for all of my life, and being in the 1/6 game for 15 years now, I have learned a lot about my collecting habits.
  • I do have a core set of franchises and characters that I enjoy collecting and having in my display.
  • While I like those characters, it's the character representation that I enjoy, not the actual figure. What I mean with this, is that I don't get all too attached to specific figures anymore. As the quality of figures increases over time, so does the quality of my collection. So I sell off old figures for new ones, and customize the ones I have to get them to my level of liking. I don't see that as a hassle, but actually as one of my main drivers in collecting. It's also why I consider myself rather a customizer than a collector nowadays, as it's the creative aspect I get most joy from.
  • While I have a core set of characters I always seem to want/have in my collection, my taste also changes over the years. Something that I thought I wanted represented in my collection 10 years ago, I no longer want anymore today. I used to want a Neo in my 1:6 collection. Once I had him in my collection, I enjoyed him for a couple of years. At some point, I became bored of him, so I simply sold him. Since then, I've never had the urge to buy another version of him. So I don't think my collection will ever be "complete", because there's always something that comes along and catches my interest.
Since building a new display recently, where I'm paying more attention than ever to not cluttering it up, a numeric limit has become more important to me as well though. I now think more about how to display something the moment I buy it, to make sure it "fits". However, that also doesn't stop me from getting something I want. As you can see in my display shot below, I currently have 1 free slot. However, I have 4 figures on order, 2 of which will replace current versions, so technically, I will have 1 too many given my current space. This leads me to another important point though:

I don't want to start the same exact 1/6th collection again, you know? At some point I want it to end. But I'll keep an eye out for merch of 5 characters and 2 IPs. Collecting Pop Culture can became too much of a hassle if you have no end goals.

This is something where we clearly differ greatly. For me, collecting is something I simply get joy out of at any given moment. Worrying about some potential future won't get me anywhere. So while I currently have more on order than I technically have space for, that is something to "worry" about when the time comes. Maybe in 1.5 years, when all my pre-orders will be in, I will have grown tired of three other figures and sold them off? Or I lost interest in the hobby altogether (as unlikely as that is, given my track record so far)? Or a dozen other reasons I can think of.
Of course, I do have some potential solutions in my head. Put Vader and Emperor on the same shelf so make room for 1 more. Outsource the Sandtrooper to a secondary display/diorama. But worrying about that too much right now will only cause me stress. And as soon as this hobby causes me stress, anxiety, boredom, or any other negative feelings, it will be time to reconsider what I'm doing with it.
At the end of the day, the "now" is what matters, and I don't want to waste my time thinking about a potential tomorrow that might never come.

To visualize some of the things I said, here's two of my collection shots: from March 2013, and 9 years later, today, March 2022.
2013:
IMG_2770_2_small.jpg

IMG_8574_2small.jpg

But to view my collection, and then draw the conclusion that those are my favorite movies wouldn't work - they are simply the figures that I like for a variety of reasons,
I've always liked your collection as it always struck me as casual and idiosyncratic.
For me, collecting is something I simply get joy out of at any given moment. Worrying about some potential future won't get me anywhere. So while I currently have more on order than I technically have space for, that is something to "worry" about when the time comes.
Although I'm further 'out of it' than you are, this is nonetheless more or less where I'm at. I used to enjoy the curating and planning, but as I lost interest in it, at this point it's what catches my eye in the here and now, with no plans. If I like something I'll enjoy it, until I lose interest or decide I have too many of a given thing.

And like yourself, while I have no 'number' it seems I do have a comfort zone and probably hovers around 5 at most ... much lower than most but there it is.

At the end of the day, the "now" is what matters, and I don't want to waste my time thinking about a potential tomorrow that might never come.
This.

To answer your question, I've never had any magical number in mind. I simply buy what I like and can afford. However, I do have a sense of control that I don't spend beyond my means, and that I don't like my collection looking crowded (been there, done that, back in high school when my room was covered in McFarlane and Hasbro toys).
Having said that though, looking back at my 1/6 collection over the past decade, it seems that there might actually be a number that works for me since my collection has hovered around that number for a while now - which is around 20.

Having collected for all of my life, and being in the 1/6 game for 15 years now, I have learned a lot about my collecting habits.
  • I do have a core set of franchises and characters that I enjoy collecting and having in my display.
  • While I like those characters, it's the character representation that I enjoy, not the actual figure. What I mean with this, is that I don't get all too attached to specific figures anymore. As the quality of figures increases over time, so does the quality of my collection. So I sell off old figures for new ones, and customize the ones I have to get them to my level of liking. I don't see that as a hassle, but actually as one of my main drivers in collecting. It's also why I consider myself rather a customizer than a collector nowadays, as it's the creative aspect I get most joy from.
  • While I have a core set of characters I always seem to want/have in my collection, my taste also changes over the years. Something that I thought I wanted represented in my collection 10 years ago, I no longer want anymore today. I used to want a Neo in my 1:6 collection. Once I had him in my collection, I enjoyed him for a couple of years. At some point, I became bored of him, so I simply sold him. Since then, I've never had the urge to buy another version of him. So I don't think my collection will ever be "complete", because there's always something that comes along and catches my interest.
Since building a new display recently, where I'm paying more attention than ever to not cluttering it up, a numeric limit has become more important to me as well though. I now think more about how to display something the moment I buy it, to make sure it "fits". However, that also doesn't stop me from getting something I want. As you can see in my display shot below, I currently have 1 free slot. However, I have 4 figures on order, 2 of which will replace current versions, so technically, I will have 1 too many given my current space. This leads me to another important point though:

This is something where we clearly differ greatly. For me, collecting is something I simply get joy out of at any given moment. Worrying about some potential future won't get me anywhere. So while I currently have more on order than I technically have space for, that is something to "worry" about when the time comes. Maybe in 1.5 years, when all my pre-orders will be in, I will have grown tired of three other figures and sold them off? Or I lost interest in the hobby altogether (as unlikely as that is, given my track record so far)? Or a dozen other reasons I can think of.
Of course, I do have some potential solutions in my head. Put Vader and Emperor on the same shelf so make room for 1 more. Outsource the Sandtrooper to a secondary display/diorama. But worrying about that too much right now will only cause me stress. And as soon as this hobby causes me stress, anxiety, boredom, or any other negative feelings, it will be time to reconsider what I'm doing with it.

To visualize some of the things I said, here's two of my collection shots: from March 2013, and 9 years later, today, March 2022.
2013:
View attachment 569496

View attachment 569497
First off, thanks for taking the time to write such an in-depth response. Second, I love the display and admire the restraint.

But yeah, I think we approach things differently. Me, I always need to plan things ahead. Get a feel for it, come up with alternative routes, the lot. And the same goes down here. The biggest difference is that whereas you approach it as a pleasure, I see it a bit as a "need", as I've explained above. I "neet" to "close the chapters", so I tend to go down some roads that I wouldn't have were I focused simply on what brought me joy.

I agree on the bit about the figures; I'm not tied to the objects themselves, but what they represent. However, since I don't like doubles and selling them is a bit of a chore, I prefer to wait about something that's near perfect or good enough before I pull the trigger in a rather definitive fashion. However, I can't detach myself from all things that I've stopped enjoying; sometimes nostalgia gets the better of me. A comic book I was really into for half a year I don't need to represent 5 years later. But a character I've stopped liking for a while now, but nevertheless own a great deal of merch from already, I can't just bypass; I need a figure of them.

At the end of the day I think that people like me need rules so that we won't fly off the rails. Maybe it's too much greed in me. Regardless, while I do long for a more minimalistic approach, I know that I'll not reach that state, at least anytime soon. So I have to admire displays like yours from afar, while I try to make sure mine won't turn into the 1/6th equivalent of the Hasbro collectors'...

Back