Playstation 4

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like this idea now when I forget to dl content in the morning I can do it from my phone.

https://www.ign.com/articles/2013/08/28/playstation-4-can-be-turned-on-remotely

PlayStation 4 Can Be Turned on Remotely
Purchase a game on your phone and your PS4 will wake up to download it.

PlayStation 4 can be turned on while away from the console in order to download new content, Sony confirmed today.

In response to a question on Twitter about purchasing PS4 games from a smartphone, Sony Worldwide Studios boss Shuhei Yoshida responded, "When you buy a PS4 game on smartphone, it will wake your PS4 up to start downloading the game. PS4 goes back to sleep after that."

This sort of remote wake-up functionality was mentioned by Yoshida earlier this year in an interview with Eurogamer. "You can play offline, but you may want to keep it connected," he said at the time. "The system has the low-power mode - I don't know the official term - that the main system is shut down but the subsystem is awake. Downloading or updating or you can wake it up using either the tablet, smartphone or PS Vita."

Given the number of things that can change in the lead up to the launch of a new console, it's good to get confirmation that is indeed something the PS4 is still capable of. This ability to buy and download games remotely could prove particularly useful considering every game on PlayStation 4 will be available digitally.

PS4 is scheduled for release on November 15 in the United States and Canada, and November 29 in Europe, Australia, and New Zealand.

Why would you guys wanna purchase games off website when you can buy it in store, if it's the same price?

I mean for physical disc at least you can resell it if you don't want it anymore, or lend it to someone that may trash the game.

Why would you guys wanna purchase games off website when you can buy it in store, if it's the same price?

I mean for physical disc at least you can resell it if you don't want it anymore, or lend it to someone that may trash the game.

cause in store charges full amount and a website could be cheaper

xfiles-dunno.gif

Plus some games are digital only, like Journey.

It'd be nice to have the feature with Steam to have it automatically download a game you purchase if your PC is on at home and you purchase something from like your phone or at work.

Also PS+ gives you free full games every month that you are able to download. And then you have the indie games which they do not sell in stores.

You're basically paying extra for a game case and a pamphlet nowadays. I'm starting to be drawn to network only games, if they are cheapened.

For me it's all based on storage. My ps3 is 320g so I don't mind. However, ps4 is not and I hate to load stuff up. I don't mind spending the extra $ to keep my playstation free.

500GB really aint alot if you are downloading those Fullsize big games.

PSN small games should not be a problem. I'm talking about 16GB of installation file, plus another half to one hour installing the game & updating it.

16GB is an estimation based on bluray capacity & installation size of modern PC games, so really 500GB is not much (not counting the HD Trailers videos etc). Good thing is you don't need to insert the disc to play since it's full installation, and loading time would be much faster than physical disc version, unless they allow full installation on disc version.

Downside of softcopy is obviously the time to download/install, and probably the worst is having to re-download everything should something go wrong with the PS4 and you didn't have another 500GB backed-up HDD. Based on experience with PS3 backup, you need to backup everything every time you do it which takes hours, not like PC which feature frequent smart backups. Then with that backup drive you can only reuse it on THAT SPECIFIC PS3 unit. So if something goes wrong with the PS3 unit which require you an exchange, renders the backup drive useless. Hope PS4 makes it easier.

I'm just gonna shut it then. :lecture

I really don't like all of these installing the game just to play it. I will gobble up 500GB in about 2-3 years probably or faster depending on how many good games come out over time. I can see people using the PLUS to store in cloud and buy the biggest hard drive they can get.

Not sure how playing games by streaming online would work out, since obviously it will be slower than fully downloading it, and stable connection is so important. Some folks still have problem viewing 1080p youtube.

I really don't like all of these installing the game just to play it. I will gobble up 500GB in about 2-3 years probably or faster depending on how many good games come out over time. I can see people using the PLUS to store in cloud and buy the biggest hard drive they can get.

I've somehow managed to fill up my PS3 original version and have deleted everything off of it. I can't figure it out for the life of me. Unless every update has eaten up the HD?

Back