Per LEGO, Disney is dropping the name "Slave 1".

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
210567786_4491532000880044_7460577282106076986_n.jpg

I think it’s a dumb decision as well, but what I don’t get is all the whining and the typical butthurt, semi-racist wise cracks from adults. Slavery has come in all forms across multiple societies because human beings have been truly evil a**holes. Pockets of slavery continue to this day. There is never a justification or rationalization, nor should it be trivialized or forgotten. In the case of the US it has inflicted genocidal, multigenerational scars, economic inequity, and psychological damage to an entire race that many people, unfortunately, cannot even begin to fathom nor take even one second to try to understand. Yes this smacks of a typical corporate overcorrection for something that probably was never on the radar, nor should have been associated with what happened in the US. It’s friggin’ science fiction set in another galaxy! But because of this oversimplification, it created an unnecessary debate and echo chamber ranting where it shouldn’t have been. Disney would have been better served transitioning the name to something equally cool as Slave 1 during “The Book of Boba Fett”. Who knows, that may even have been the plan and some genius decided to jump the gun. If so, it was a stupid PR blunder IMO. But regardless of what I or anyone else thinks, Disney owns the IP so they can do with it what they want.

I think it’s a dumb decision as well, but what I don’t get is all the whining and the typical butthurt, semi-racist wise cracks from adults. Slavery has come in all forms across multiple societies because human beings have been truly evil a**holes. Pockets of slavery continue to this day. There is never a justification or rationalization, nor should it be trivialized or forgotten. In the case of the US it has inflicted genocidal, multigenerational scars, economic inequity, and psychological damage to an entire race that many people, unfortunately, cannot even begin to fathom nor take even one second to try to understand. Yes this smacks of a typical corporate overcorrection for something that probably was never on the radar, nor should have been associated with what happened in the US. It’s friggin’ science fiction set in another galaxy! But because of this oversimplification, it created an unnecessary debate and echo chamber ranting where it shouldn’t have been. Disney would have been better served transitioning the name to something equally cool as Slave 1 during “The Book of Boba Fett”. Who knows, that may even have been the plan and some genius decided to jump the gun. If so, it was a stupid PR blunder IMO. But regardless of what I or anyone else thinks, Disney owns the IP so they can do with it what they want.
Lots of great points, i agree it would have been better if they had just changed the name without it coming out like this first. Nobody is saying slavery is good, a lot of people just grew up with the name so it will always be slave 1 to them. The whining and political debate is inevitable, for good or bad. I think what a lot of people are resistant to is the over emphasis on PC terms and taking out words that may cause offence, which I somewhat agree with, as where does it end? Eventually you won't be able say anything

This was inevitable with now two shows giving a softer "human face" (literally and figuratively) to a group that are supposed to be the coldest, cruelest and most inhuman in the galaxy.

Even more so that unhelmeted Boba is now played by a more identifiable "person of color" (more than Pedro) and given Morrison has been very vocal about how his Maori culture informs his BF performance: there are potentially uncomfortable issues around Maoris historically taking slaves. In the era of social media dredging, Disney would be sensitive to this potentially coming up further down the line, however randomly/obscurely, with "Slave I" as his ship name.

Even just the fact we've seen a mando take off his helmet and coo over a baby for two seasons (however gruffly,) makes a Mando ship named "slave" more tricky to keep in the picture now.

The Mando show may have created a deeper and cool mythology around the group, but it has also unraveled the cold inhumane brutality of what Boba Fett once represented. And my guess is the BOBF show will further undermine that as they humanize him more and further evolve him into a likeable badass. Likeable badasses (in the mold of GOTG for example) don't name their ships "Slave."

As much as I really liked a lot of the first season of Mando, it's hard for me to reconcile what I see in that show with how I thought of BF and his kind over the years. A ship named slave worked for that distant, mysterious view of Mandos, but not sure it works in this new era of Mando show mandos.

So to me this is obviously about PC sensitivities (and yes, a Disney show - a problem with SW becoming a Disney property) but it's also about an inevitable outcome of making an unhelmeted Boba Fett a major/main character.

Last edited:
This was inevitable with now two shows giving a softer "human face" (literally and figuratively) to a group that are supposed to be the coldest, cruelest and inhuman in the galaxy.

Even more so that unhelmeted Boba is now played by a more identifiable "person of color" (more than Pedro) and given Morrison has been very vocal about how his Maori culture informs his BF performance: there are potentially uncomfortable issues around Maoris historically taking slaves. In the era of social media dredging, Disney would be sensitive to this potentially coming up further down the line, however randomly/obscurely, with "Slave I" as his ship name.

Even just the fact we've seen a mando take off his helmet and coo over a baby for two seasons (however gruffly,) makes a Mando ship named "slave" more tricky to keep in the picture now.

The Mando show may have created a deeper and cool mythology around the group, but it has also unraveled the cold inhumane brutality of what Boba Fett once represented. And my guess is the BOBF show will further undermine that as they humanize him more and further evolve him into a likeable badass. Likeable badasses (in the mold of GOTG for example) don't name their ships "Slave."

As much as I really liked a lot of the first season of Mando, it's hard for me to reconcile what I see in that show with how I thought of BF and his kind over the years. A ship named slave worked for that distant, mysterious view of Mandos, but not sure it works in this new era of Mando show mandos.

So to me this is obviously about PC sensitivities (and yes, a Disney show - a problem with SW becoming a Disney property) but it's also about an inevitable outcome of making an unhelmeted Boba Fett a major/main character.

Well that didn’t take long for the tables to turn on Filoni and Favreau.

2 seasons in and they already are the villains who destroyed Fett and SW lol

Doomcockers…hard to please that bunch lol

Last edited:
Not OK to name your ship "Slave 1", but all those stormtroopers and poor Bib Fortuna got straight up murdered by him and didn't even get a trial. Murder cool, words not.

Well that didn’t take long for the tables to turn on Filoni and Favreau.

2 seasons in and they already are the villains who destroyed Fett and SW lol

Doomcockers…hard to please that bunch lol
wtf? :lol

I'm talking about the inevitability of what happens when you take off the helmet, humanize him and make him a main character: you can't have "slave" in the name anymore. It's that process/choice as much as PC that makes it no longer workable.

Joe Johnston said the helmet should never have come off - he was both right and wrong.

As long as he kills bad guys it’s all good.
But that's exactly the problem - BF doesn't kill "bad guys", he kills, captures, enslaves etc whoever he pleases. That's why he has a ship called slave. That was the point of BF, but that no longer works.

Boba Fett is now an honorable man.
All that time being digested in the dianoga gave Boba time to contemplate his life and the misdeeds that he carried out. He is in the rehab step of making amends to those he has done wrong. The Book of Boba will have Boba asking Han for his forgiveness in his short comings and then we will finally get that Han Hot Toy we have been waiting for. See, removing a silly ship title brings everyone together.

My YouTube sources tell me the Slave 1 will be repainted in rainbow colors and renamed the Emancipation Eagle.

Back