P.O.S. Re-Caster *Please Read*

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This has become a great shipwreck to watch. It sucks people can't see all the LOLZ and smiley faces are being used only to fuel the flames even more.

People on the Internet with conflicting views will never come to an agreement so it seems silly its gone on this long. Its fun to watch people make asses of themselves though.

Hey guys,

...Unfortunately, some people see this as an opportunity to profit and ...if I am right this person not only did not pay for this sculpt but was also compensated to paint it for another board member. This individual then re-casted the sculpt while it was in his possession and gave it to someone else to sell for them with the sole intention of profiting from other peoples' time, work and money.

https://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290522382806#ht_500wt_1156

https://cgi.ebay.com/1-6th-Custom-A...ultDomain_0&hash=item43a47bb62b#ht_500wt_1156

D

All due respect to you CH

The subject of recasting has come up very often in these forums.

Many believe this to be a black/white issue.

I personally see varying degrees, depending on rarity, active or inactive license within the hobby, independent artist v. large companies etc.

but just an observation or two concerning the above quote.
(I don't know what you charged for your CWO figure or if you sold the head separately)
but just as a frame of reference: FRONTLINE (probably the most resonably priced originally sculpted and cast heads in the hobby) charge 10 USD per head and 18 USD for a two part head and hat set. To comission a painter is at the very least $ 25- $ 35 some as much as $ 100.

The head for sale on e-bay is a two part head and hat--that has presumably been recast. You would know the cost of resin. Then it is hand painted (time work money), yet the first linked item is only $ 25
...And thats not even an auction but a "buy-it-now"
a review of the "completed" section shows 4 heads put up for auction anywhere between 9.99 to 24.99
ALL of which ended without bids or sales.

What kind of profit can be made ?

Jim

Them and the person who commissioned it to be sculpted. But Devil_666 is right. According to him it's ok to take every sculpt that someone puts out on this board and recast it and sell it on eBay. And he feels ok with buying those sculpts here and then turning around and condemning the people who make them. And you call me a hypocrite. I apologize for posting, buddy. You're right. I'm wrong. :clap

imo, it's only wrong if the guy lies about it, and sells it as a real item. he's not. he's saying it's a custom that's been hand painted. he's not denying it's a recast. someone who's looking for the real thing, wont buy this, and someone who doesnt really care about it being a recast will buy it. it's not up to you to say who decides what they want to buy.

I don't think this is true. There are barriers to entry to many jobs where you use your head that may have little to do with intelligence. I've seen lots of dummies in important decision-making positions because they knew the right people and were willing to "play the game." There's more than intelligence (edit: and hard work) that plays into that.

There are also social and environmental factors that affect what is or isn't a "good job" for person X.

Also, folks with high intelligence probably don't have to work very hard to do jobs requiring thought, just like guys with big muscles might not have to work very hard shoveling tar or whatever.

You're right. That was a poor illustration.

I still say that intellectual labor tends to be more difficult than manual labor. Not to say that manual labor is easy; just that problem solving that requires original thought will always be less easy than permorming a series of physical motions.

As for the 'work' that 'players' do, it isn't labor and they don't count in any discussion of productivity.

Devil_666 is right. According to him it's ok to take every sculpt that someone puts out on this board and recast it and sell it on eBay. And he feels ok with buying those sculpts here and then turning around and condemning the people who make them. And you call me a hypocrite.

1. You are a hypocrite.

2. I've never purchased a single custom/recasted head sculpt, figure or accessory before. You must have me confused with someone else who called you a hypocrite.

:wave

Instead of recasting, can i just report you to the legal department of the proper license holders of whatever character(s) you sculpt? would that be acceptable?

collidersequel24204badb.jpg

"____ just got real."

Instead of recasting, can i just report you to the legal department of the proper license holders of whatever character(s) you sculpt? would that be acceptable?

Thats what I have been doing with Skiman.

Once I destroy his empire I will move on to my next victim :rock

Back