Old Man Logan

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dotanuki

Freaked Out
Reaction score
It has been long years since i last read Wolverine. It felt good to read about my favorite Marvel character again. And i finally finished the Mark Millar run of Wolverine with the Old Man Logan story. Steve McNiven art was fantastic.

I didn't know that Spider-Man had a car called Spider-Buggy which could also climb walls, jump from really long hights and nothing happened to it... Well, it was stupid. HA HA But other than that Old Man Logan was a decent read. Some aspects like Hawkeye and his handicap, The Wolverine and Hulk fight in the end and Logan was being old and everything being in the future were inspiared by The Dark Knight Returns, if you ask me. Just like Green Arrow and his handicap, Batman and Superman fight in the end, Batman was being old etc.

How Red Skull broke Wolverine with his plan was really tragic. How could Wolverine go on to live after something like that was beyond me... There is always the Murasama Blade, you know... I like elseworld stories, they don't have to go back to a status quo, but then again nothing shocked me or surprised me because writers have all kinds of freedom to do almost whatever they want in elseworlds. If Marvel pulled something like this in the Earth 616 Main Universe, then my jaw would drop for sure. HA HA

I give Old Man Logan 8/10. It was a decent read.

Recently reread the original miniseries my self and am now working through the collection of follow up series. Not as much of a fan of those. Logan dumps the Hulk baby right off the bat. Guess the less capable writers that took up the story couldn’t figure out how to tell a story with a baby. The art isn’t nearly as good either. Less definition and harder to follow. Plus they abandoned the wasteland future and have a typical comic book multiverse mash up that puts Logan back to ‘modern’ times with everyone. At the point I’m at he’s fighting Dracula :lol Only in comics can something as nonsensical sounding like that can happen.

The original run is indeed good. Maybe a bit rushed in hindsight but I imagine they were on a tight leash and only got extended so much runway to tell their story. Facing Red Skull felt a bit anticlimactic. Had they known how popular the series was going to be, things probably would have been stretched out more. But on the other hand, a nice tight story is refreshing in a world of bloated stories that could have been an email.

I rolled my eyes when i heard Old Man Logan vs Dracula. HA HA Something sound so stupid can only happen in Super Hero Comics ! HA HA I read Wolverine: Enemy of The States in 2004 or someting, i believe almost 20 years ago. But i read Wolverine: Old Man Logan yesterday in 2024... HA HA Better Late than never. I have no idea Why it took me so long to get to it. Since i have zero nostalgia with the Spider-Buggy... As an adult, it is just super lame to me. HA HA Well, there is a reason why it is not in spider-books anymore because i am not alone.

Old Man Logan was not a MAX series, but still an adult book with all the gore and swearing btw. I wonder what the gore level on the Wolverine Max mini series since Disney have no problem with Old Man Logan ( and it has a good amount of gore) but shies away from reprinting Wolverine Max... This really excites me about Wolverine Max, we need a reprint Disney !!!! Come on !!!!

I never read any of the "Old Man Logan comes back to our time and now he's the Wolverine of this universe cause our Wolverine is dead!!!" issues. That sounded like one of the lamest pitches ever, right up there with Teen Tony Stark in the mid-90s.

I did read the original Mark Millar run a few times, but it was never a favorite. There's such a thing as being TOO nihilistic, and this story was just too much for me. It took the idea of being "dark" and went into "edgy for edgy's sake" territory.

The other problem is I felt I'd read the story many times before.

Obviously, there's the Dark Knight Returns similarity.

There's also Wolverine: The End which shares a lot of themes.

There's the movie "Unforgiven" and it's comic book counterpart "The Saint of Killers" by Garth Ennis that have a lot of the exact same story beats.

And of course there's every dystopian future "elsewords/what if" comic I've read over the last 40 years.

Just too much well-worn territory. To this day I've never even sat down to watch the movie "Logan"....why spend the time? I've seen it all before, again and again.

I will say this though; I think Millar wrote the last truly great Wolverine story in "Enemy of the State/Agent of SHIELD." I read and re-read that one all the time. I love the art by JR JR and I love how the scale of the story escalates from the starting point. Definitely one of my all-time favorites, right up there with the Claremont and Hama classics.

You made a good point, Otomofan. For example/ I would really get imperessed with Wolverine: Origin, if i didn't watch ''Far and Away'' film of Tom Cruise and the film adaptation of classic novel ''the Secret Garden'', but after watching these two on tv before reading Wolverine: Origin, i immidiatly saw that Wolverine: Origin was a mix of the two, when i read Wolverine: Origin so i thought it was just an uninspired rip off of those two works and didn't like it at all. So if read all the comics and watch the film, you wrote above, i am pretty much sure i wouldn't give Old Man Logan a good score of 8/10...

What was so nihilistic about Old Man Logan btw ??? I can't think of anything in the story that make me come to the same conclusion ????

Just overly graphic violence and death. The Hulk children were all very vile characters. Hawkeye's sad meaningless death. It all seemed to be reveling in darkness just for darkness's sake.

Just overly graphic violence and death. The Hulk children were all very vile characters. Hawkeye's sad meaningless death. It all seemed to be reveling in darkness just for darkness's sake.
I must disagree here because i love overly graphic violence and death.

Hulk Gang were the villains, you know. Why is anyone evil ??? Because they raised badly. HA HA

I really liked Hawkeye's death, just because he was once a super hero and an Avenger doesn't mean he must have gone in a Heroic, glorious way. I also really liked how he did drug trafficing time to time to make the ends meet. HA HA Now, this is what i really call deconstracting the hero.

Back