Official Harry Potter Figure Discussion Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think the sculpt is on the way to Snape, but I'm having a problem with the whole eyes/eyebrows region - the eyebrows are far too high, for a start and I agree the chin/jaw needs tweaking.

But, the biggest thing, IMO, is that Alan Rickman has a very distinctive mouth/lips (almost droopy) which have not been captured yet.

snape.jpg

You can still see Rickman/Snape in there. . . kinda.

I think it looks great and I will most likely be ordering, however I do think the face looks a little more surprised than it should. The eyebrows need to lower and the mouth needs to droop a little more as people have mentioned. Looks good for a prototype though.

you guys realize he is frowning slightly in the face pic from the movie. the sculpt isn't.

And that's weird because he's Snape, he should look unhappy or angry instead of having a very relaxed expression. In the movies he's never not looking unhappy.

Not me, I just want my moneys worth. You should check out the Hot Toys Darth Vader thread if you want to see hard to please.

some of you are endlessly hard to please lol

Hard to please = desiring a great likeness out of a sculpt?

We want to see Star Ace do well with this line of figures. And that involves getting each likeness as close as possible. The majority here think the sculpt has issues - thus this thread has, at the moment, an air of hoping for improvement.

Hard to please is nitpicking a HT Reeve Superman sculpt - not hoping for improvement in a sculpt that seems to be slightly off in three key areas.

How do you screw up Darth Vader?

Dome, eyes etc aren't the right shape. He looks constantly surprised. It's a small detail that probably won't be a huge deal breaker but after all, it's $300 for a figure that is not quite the true ANH Vader a lot of us were hoping for.

TBH we all indiscriminately nitpicky over all Hot Toys stuff but why not with Star Ace? They charge same as Hot Toys after all

:goodpost::exactly: As Star Ace's prices increase they have to compete with huge companies like HT. So far, they have been making very high quality figures for under HT and Sideshow prices, and a lot of collectors here have expressed their pleasure with how the line has developed since the first announcement some time last year.
They need to maintain that standard, even better it if they want the prices to rise justifiably.

Hard to please = desiring a great likeness out of a sculpt?

no i get it. but if its not the likeness, it's the expression, if it's not that it's the outfit, if it's not that it's the price ect ect.

some of you would be best to call rickmans agent and ask if rickman can sit in your display cabinet for the weekend so you can have a 100% accurate perfect likeness to look at.

it's a toy, the likeness is decent, let's all calm down.

As Star Ace's prices increase they have to compete with huge companies like HT. So far, they have been making very high quality figures for under HT and Sideshow prices, and a lot of collectors here have expressed their pleasure with how the line has developed since the first announcement some time last year.
They need to maintain that standard, even better it if they want the prices to rise justifiably.

:goodpost: This is exactly right which is why it baffles me that some people here are moaning about the nitpicking. Moaning about moaning? Seriously?

I think most of us are 100% behind Star Ace. They have secured the license to one of the biggest franchises of all time. We WANT THEM TO DO WELL. But, on the same hand, if they want us to part with more and more of our hard-earned cash and spend it on them rather than HT and the like, then they need to up their game. It's that simple. We want as much bang for our buck as possible.

At the moment, I think they're slipping behind the quality of their first figures.

If they're content on bringing out lower quality figures, then the prices should drop to reflect that. I refuse to pay a lot of money for a sub-par figure.

I want them to do well. I also want GREAT HP figures. They started out really good and I was very excited, and at such reasonable prices too. Now I'm concerned because my fav' character - Mad-Eye - is just not up to the standard and price they asked for. I feel slightly cheated, but I want to support Star Ace because I want them to do every blinkin' character there is! So, I personally overlooked the problems.

However, I won't be buying anything else at that price, not unless they sort out the quality/likenesses. I'm sure they have it in them, perhaps they're rushing etc.

Are we moaning? Maybe slightly - but most of it is meant as positive feedback because we're passionate. This forum is supposed to be where we discuss figures and what we like and don't like about them. I'm sure companies use it for feedback too, so as long as it's constructive, can the moaning about moaning and the general moaning just stop? Let's be positive. Let's wish them well. But, let's also not settle for sub-standard figures.

:goodpost: This is exactly right which is why it baffles me that some people here are moaning about the nitpicking. Moaning about moaning? Seriously?

I think most of us are 100% behind Star Ace. They have secured the license to one of the biggest franchises of all time. We WANT THEM TO DO WELL. But, on the same hand, if they want us to part with more and more of our hard-earned cash and spend it on them rather than HT and the like, then they need to up their game. It's that simple. We want as much bang for our buck as possible.

At the moment, I think they're slipping behind the quality of their first figures.

If they're content on bringing out lower quality figures, then the prices should drop to reflect that. I refuse to pay a lot of money for a sub-par figure.

I want them to do well. I also want GREAT HP figures. They started out really good and I was very excited, and at such reasonable prices too. Now I'm concerned because my fav' character - Mad-Eye - is just not up to the standard and price they asked for. I feel slightly cheated, but I want to support Star Ace because I want them to do every blinkin' character there is! So, I personally overlooked the problems.

However, I won't be buying anything else at that price, not unless they sort out the quality/likenesses. I'm sure they have it in them, perhaps they're rushing etc.

Are we moaning? Maybe slightly - but most of it is meant as positive feedback because we're passionate. This forum is supposed to be where we discuss figures and what we like and don't like about them. I'm sure companies use it for feedback too, so as long as it's constructive, can the moaning about moaning and the general moaning just stop? Let's be positive. Let's wish them well. But, let's also not settle for sub-standard figures.

and now we have moaning about the moaners moaning. and the cycle continues lol

This really sums up what many of us feel. We are not moaning. it's just that we want quality for our money. Mad-eye was a big slip in quality and at a higher price. I have HT's figures from years ago that were cheaper and better likeness and materials. They need to learn from Mad-eye and improve. Snape is one of my favorite characters. I like what I see, but it could be better. The Mad-eye prototype was good too. It is production that I am concerned with.

Last edited:
I also think that if SA aren't careful, more and more people might lose trust. I bought / pre-ordered Mad-Eye thinking those prototype pictures on their site would be close to the production. Nope. (Not to mention I wasn't too happy about Sirius' baggy jacket). So, now I bet quite a few people will wait for other collectors to post pictures before deciding. That's what I'm gonna do.

Come on, Star Ace, please get back on track. You have supporters here :pray:

Do you have Mad-Eye yourself or are you just going with what the complainers have said here? I really don't think the complaints are warranted, nor does Crawford in his review.

Thanks for that link Dave!

Overall I have been nicely impressed with Star Ace. I still need to get Harry and decide on wether or not to get Mad Eye. I want it but there is waaaay too much stuff out there for me to get everything I want. The safest thing for me with this line though is all the routed hair. I know some really like and some see it as the future but for me the technology is not there yet to make it look as good as routed hair. Again that's my opinion and I am someone with very limited styling ability but I would have them to have stayed away from routed hair as much as possible.

Back