1/6 NEXT Hot Toys STAR WARS Figure...?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For the which is the most popular conversation, this (not sure on reliability) is an interesting read:
https://cultmtl.com/2021/08/the-most-popular-star-wars-franchise-movies-and-shows-ranked/
It details which Star Wars movies and shows in order are the most streamed: Mando, OT, ST and the PT/CW.

I am biaised to the OT (which I grew up with), am indifferent to the PT except ROTS, and dislike the ST (as it was a lazy clone of the OT when it could have shown where the rebellion had taken the Empire with the trials and tribulations of establishing a fledgling new republic).

The OT will always be popular, so HT can take their time with them, while they use their limited production capability and make what is hot right now which is Mando and CW (which means they can do PT). It's interesting to hear how those who grew up with the PT prefer it over the OT, especially as both would have been available to watch - was it the cinema experience and the merchandise hype at the time that did it?

While I'd tend to generally agree I have to say that list is based off Just Watch and not actual streams. Disney would never reveal that. It's a marker but I kind of doubt The Clone Wars series is that low on the ranking especially given the really well regarded final season.

While I'd tend to generally agree I have to say that list is based off Just Watch and not actual streams. Disney would never reveal that. It's a marker but I kind of doubt The Clone Wars series is that low on the ranking especially given the really well regarded final season.

Thinking the same thing, I don't think we'd get that type of numbers from Disney, I've also never heard of this website. I know some outlets get streaming numbers on a weekly or monthly basis for tv shows.

Parrot Analytics has some good information, I know they provide some numbers to Insider on the most streamed shows on a weekly basis, I don't think they do movies though and not sure if that is information that Disney+ would release.

I remember seeing somewhere in May that Stranger Things, Mando and TCW were the top 3 for that week or something like that. Stranger Things has insane streaming numbers for a show that hasn't had a new season in over 2 years.

https://tv.parrotanalytics.com/US/stranger-things-netflix
https://www.parrotanalytics.com/ins...evision-platforms-for-the-us-17-23-july-2021/
https://www.parrotanalytics.com/ins...ision-platforms-for-the-us-07-13-august-2021/

Thinking the same thing, I don't think we'd get that type of numbers from Disney, I've also never heard of this website. I know some outlets get streaming numbers on a weekly or monthly basis for tv shows.

Parrot Analytics has some good information, I know they provide some numbers to Insider on the most streamed shows on a weekly basis, I don't think they do movies though and not sure if that is information that Disney+ would release.

I remember seeing somewhere in May that Stranger Things, Mando and TCW were the top 3 for that week or something like that. Stranger Things has insane streaming numbers for a show that hasn't had a new season in over 2 years.

https://tv.parrotanalytics.com/US/stranger-things-netflix
https://www.parrotanalytics.com/ins...evision-platforms-for-the-us-17-23-july-2021/
https://www.parrotanalytics.com/ins...ision-platforms-for-the-us-07-13-august-2021/
JustWatch is a website and app that lets you just type in whatever and it'll tell you if it's streaming anywhere for free or for pay and basically any and all options for watching something digitally. I can only imagine they're gathering a ranking either by searches on their site or by people rating them or something. I don't see any way in which they'd get streaming info in any other fashion.

The website is very useful for its intended purpose but I wouldn't bank on it for streaming numbers.

Not to entirely change the subject, and I know people are wanting the ESB Han Solo, but is anyone ever going to make a good ROTJ Han? There hasn't been one (that I can think of) since the old Medicom one from 10 years ago.

I'm thinking of grabbing that SS Plo Koon from Ebay, might need some modifications for him to look decent with other Hot Toys Jedi.

Is there even a big demand for a ROTJ Han?

giphy.gif

I'll never tire of quoting this gem from Howard Chan:

I think lots of fans are disappointed with the sequels. Even me I don’t have any desire to revisit them anytime soon. The sales were awful. Mando is like the dawn after the dark. Especially Luke, he was redeemed, unlike episode 8.​

Milk Magazine #996 May 2021 (Translation by Jesse Lo)

It sums up this debate in a nutshell.

The sequels were an aberration in the history of Star Wars. From Howard's perspective it was killing the prospects for merchandise. But what was the saviour? Not the prequel era, but The Mandalorian, which he viewed as "the dawn after the dark."

For example since Mandalorian is so close to ROTJ, it is easier for us to release figures from the OT. This is exactly what we were waiting for.​

It's the proximity of The Mandalorian's timeline to the OT that revived both Star Wars and its merchandising potential. It's a return to the heart of Star Wars itself, and the reasons why it became such an international sensation in the first place.

It's the proximity of The Mandalorian's timeline to the OT that revived both Star Wars and its merchandising potential. It's a return to the heart of Star Wars itself, and the reasons why it became such an international sensation in the first place.
Everyone can agree that the Sequels were terrible movies that had zero respect for what came before but this right here just simply isn't true.

The Mandalorian isn't popular because it's close to the OT in the timeline. It's popular because it's a well written, well directed show with incredible cinematography and an incredible understanding of the universe. It pays respects to the Prequels/Clone Wars whilst also acknowledging the Originals. It's doing an incredible job at something the ST never did, which is tying the universe together.

Your argument that falling back onto the OT as an era I feel is invalid because people had the exact same "Star Wars is saved!" reaction to the seventh season of The Clone Wars, which by the way if I may ask, have you seen?

Everyone can agree that the Sequels were terrible movies that had zero respect for what came before but this right here just simply isn't true.

The Mandalorian isn't popular because it's close to the OT in the timeline. It's popular because it's a well written, well directed show with incredible cinematography and an incredible understanding of the universe. It pays respects to the Prequels/Clone Wars whilst also acknowledging the Originals. It's doing an incredible job at something the ST never did, which is tying the universe together.

Your argument that falling back onto the OT as an era I feel is invalid because people had the exact same "Star Wars is saved!" reaction to the seventh season of The Clone Wars, which by the way if I may ask, have you seen?

The words are from Howard Chan, and his reason why it's now easier to make figures from the OT. Not because of a belated ending to a popular cartoon series, but because The Mandalorian's storyline has a chronological proximity to the OT.

I've watched all of The Clone Wars, and its only real asset is the visuals since the period doesn't interest me. The final season was largely unwatchable apart from Ahsoka and the final episode which tied into the point where Star Wars begins to get interesting again.

Your view is skewed:

hardytrash said:
The Mandalorian...pays respects to the Prequels/Clone Wars whilst also acknowledging the Originals.

Rather, the series pays respect to the OT, while acknowledging the Prequels/Clone Wars.

Star Wars (and Indiana Jones) was Lucas' attempt to recapture the magic of his childhood, of the serials he watched as repeats, and which inspired him. Star Wars was also a platform for him to say something about the Vietnam War.

The Prequel Trilogy will always be inferior because it was his attempt to recapture the magic he'd harnessed in the '70s and '80s.

Doesn't mean you can't prefer them, but they're a virtually different animal. Just as the Sequels were an attempt to harness the original magic for a new generation, rebooting the old stories with new heroes in order to create a platform for the creators' own messages about society.

The Mandalorian is a love letter to the OT. It redeems Luke from the ST (as Howard noted), and also redeems Boba Fett from his ignoble end in ROTJ. Fett's fans had been at odds with Lucas about that since 1983, just as OT fans were vocally at odds with his Prequel Trilogy.

Last edited:
Mando is connected to OT by the better writing than both Prequels and Sequels. It is not flawless, far from it, and it also suffers from the OT nostalgia by the adult fans. But still many, if not most, of the Mando stories are quite well written, while in PT we got AOTC and even TPM, which have some problems, agreed upon even by their most loyal fans. And in ST we got TLJ, which I consider to be the worst SW film, except maybe (just maybe) than the Holiday Special, but the other two movies are not too good either alas, TFA being a pale copy of OT (could have been so much more) and TROS being something cobbled together trying to fix the mess that was TLJ.

I watched CW and Rebels (still need to watch the latest seasons of Rebels) and I will watch Bad Batch as soon as I can - and they are pretty cool, though a non-SW fan will rarely look into those animated series. Many non-SW fans looked more into Mando than into CW and Rebels. I've talked to students here who watched Mando and never watched any other SW movies before, not to mention animations.

This is why I believe HT will milk the Mando line as much as they can. As many of you know, my focus being OT Imperials, I'm still waiting on a few figures that were shown by HT before but never seen the light. I'm glad the ROTJ Scout is being made. I can only hope for example that we'll see a Death Star Trooper type figure in Mando, thus being taken into consideration to be really made by HT. As for the other troopers I want: the other OT Sandies, Snowtrooper Commander, 1/4 Stormie, (or even Death Star Droid and Veers in AT-AT armor), unfortunately they seem to be put on hold indefinitely - still that won't stop me bringing them up from time to time in various topics and threads, maybe HT will see that and reconsider them.

This is why I believe HT will milk the Mando line as much as they can. As many of you know, my focus being OT Imperials, I'm still waiting on a few figures that were shown by HT before but never seen the light. I'm glad the ROTJ Scout is being made. I can only hope for example that we'll see a Death Star Trooper type figure in Mando, thus being taken into consideration to be really made by HT. As for the other troopers I want: the other OT Sandies, Snowtrooper Commander, 1/4 Stormie, (or even Death Star Droid and Veers in AT-AT armor), unfortunately they seem to be put on hold indefinitely - still that won't stop me bringing them up from time to time in various topics and threads, maybe HT will see that and reconsider them.

The Scout is a prime example of what Howard was referring to. The popularity of The Mandalorian meant that HT could market and sell the new version, which then opened the door to the ROTJ version.

They have a prototype for the Death Star Trooper (and his console), but they need a large enough market to make it viable to produce. If they appear in Mando or another of its related series, then that door to the OT will be prised open again.

I guess coming to this forum is a prime example of how exactly an echo chamber can form in these kind of fandoms. You go onto Facebook/Insta/Reddit and see people clambering for more Prequel/Clone Wars figures whilst here, with all the old boys, you've got all the OT love. It's fair enough, totally respect people having a favourite era, I just think it's pretty ignorant and rude to be blind to the fact that the younger crowd prefer the Prequels and the era surrounding it!

I'm thinking of grabbing that SS Plo Koon from Ebay, might need some modifications for him to look decent with other Hot Toys Jedi.
I'd get it if it's at a decent price. I've got the Sideshow alien jedi (Plo, Ki-Adi Mundi, Aylla and Fisto and all of them look fine next to HT. The Plo figure's robe is a little bulky but not terrible. Sideshow has always done a pretty good job with aliens and these Jedi are no exceptions.

I guess coming to this forum is a prime example of how exactly an echo chamber can form in these kind of fandoms. You go onto Facebook/Insta/Reddit and see people clambering for more Prequel/Clone Wars figures whilst here, with all the old boys, you've got all the OT love. It's fair enough, totally respect people having a favourite era, I just think it's pretty ignorant and rude to be blind to the fact that the younger crowd prefer the Prequels and the era surrounding it!

Neither ignoring nor denying it.

You don't need to seek validation for liking certain things, or create your own echo chamber.

You can't change history. The OT came first and will always be superior, because without it, or the "old boys", there wouldn't be a PT or TCW.

The OT was Lucas' homage to his childhood inspirations. Everything else is either an homage to an homage, a reboot, or simply a vehicle to transmit other messages.

PT:1-1:OT
ST :rip

Back