1/6 NEXT Hot Toys STAR WARS Figure...?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"For example since Mandalorian is so close to ROTJ, it is easier for us to release figures from the OT. This is exactly what we were waiting for"

"I think lots of fans are disappointed with the sequels. Even me I don?t have any desire to revisit them anytime soon. The sales were awful. Mando is like the dawn. Especially like Luke , he was redeemed , unlike episode 8. Introducing new characters in one movie is not gonna leave an impression. In contrast , mando?s Kuiil leaves you the impression of wisdom, a clear cut personality and very popular as well."

Knock it off. The truth hurts I know.

You're free to stay in your little corner and get agitated when someone doesn't spoon feed you your desired narrative but I'm more interested in the actual truth.

I find it interesting that he didn't say "ST sales were awful so we're just gonna stick with the OT." No he said "since Mandalorian is so close to ROTJ, it is easier for us to release figures from the OT. This is exactly what we were waiting for." Sounds to me like he's a fan of the OT but that the OT in and of itself doesn't sell well enough *unless* it is connected to Mando which apparently *is* selling well.

Which then begs the question of what would happen if Mando starts bleeding more into the ST than the OT if proximity to Mando is all that matters when it comes to making something "easier for us to produce toys."

Either way I'd still like to see what all the numbers for merchandise across all the films and TV shows actually are, curious that you are not. "He bashed the sequels, that's all I wanted, now no more facts lalalalalalala!"

"For example since Mandalorian is so close to ROTJ, it is easier for us to release figures from the OT. This is exactly what we were waiting for."

Which is exactly what I have been waiting for.

SoItBegins.jpg

You're free to stay in your little corner and get agitated when someone doesn't spoon feed you your desired narrative but I'm more interested in the actual truth.

I find it interesting that he didn't say "ST sales were awful so we're just gonna stick with the OT." No he said "since Mandalorian is so close to ROTJ, it is easier for us to release figures from the OT. This is exactly what we were waiting for." Sounds to me like he's a fan of the OT but that the OT in and of itself doesn't sell well enough *unless* it is connected to Mando which apparently *is* selling well.

Which then begs the question of what would happen if Mando starts bleeding more into the ST than the OT if proximity to Mando is all that matters when it comes to making something "easier for us to produce toys."

Either way I'd still like to see what all the numbers for merchandise across all the films and TV shows actually are, curious that you are not. "He bashed the sequels, that's all I wanted, now no more facts lalalalalalala!"

I?ll tell you. And it?s easy to see actually.

The OT and PT figures always sell out. Merch for the them in 1/6th scale and movies and games sell out. Idk why it?s so hard for you to understand. The black series of anakin rots aka ways sell. They are more toys across the board for mando than the ST. There are no new ST toys being produced.

Across all films and tv shows the ST is the lowest selling Star Wars property. It?s time for you to face reality and take the nostalgia goggles off.

I would buy a Dark Empire Luke in the Vader/Kylo (I know it came before Kylo obviously just a comparison from the arms) looking costume in a heartbeat. Black series should have made this figure instead of the lazy Dagobah repaint we got instead.

One last aside regarding the ST era. I absolutely know that if it can get a CW-esque series it will be almost redeemable. Kylo has enough popularity and a series following Grand master Luke and Padawan Kylo would do well to flesh out the era. So far Mandalorian has done some work to finally bring the New Republic to life (one of the worst shortcomings and oversights of the ST films). I know it?s been talked about to death but PT and ST are similar but different beasts. It?s just sad what could have been with just the right creator/vision like Favreau and Filoni at the helm.

ST sales were awful. You are a moron if you think otherwise. Anyone, please share facts of good ST sales.

I would buy a Dark Empire Luke in the Vader/Kylo (I know it came before Kylo obviously just a comparison from the arms) looking costume in a heartbeat. Black series should have made this figure instead of the lazy Dagobah repaint we got instead.

Seen a custom on Reddit:

Capture.JPG

Several Kenner 20/21-backs were pegwarmers ("legwarmers" that era?:lol) - Power Droid and R5 especially - as were a good number of ROTJ and POTF figs in 84 and 86. I have seen a ton of OT stuff pegwarming over the decades, and I saw a hundred tons of PT stuff pegwarming in that era. I bought a Hasbro Jedi Starfighter for $2.97 and a massive Republic gunship for around $10 at KB.

It obviously comes down to media support - something in theaters or streaming in that moment that's hot. But with the ST I did see many instances where stuff was sitting even with the movies making $1B+ in theaters.

As Wor says, it's possible that play patterns had changed so much by the mid 2010s that it really was more about older fans buying (or not,) and older fans were often "blamed" for not liking the ST. So it makes sense the product wasn't moving.

I will say that the phenomenon I saw was people seemed stunned/hypnotised by TFA the same way TPM did (that "RETURN OF STAR WARS!!!" euphoria,) but then people seemed to get a hangover quickly with TLJ - buddies of mine who adored TFA initially seemed to being cooling on the ST even before TLJ came out.

One thing is clear - kids were overwhelmingly the target consumer in the 70s and 80s, but that steadily reversed through the PT (more like young adults) and then up to the ST era to be adults, and that was the case for buying the actual movie tickets as the bo stats for RO and the ST clearly showed older.

Not sure what the stats are on Mando, who is predominantly watching due to corp secretive nature of streaming - but the show does seem to have captured the imagination of older fans in a "consensus" way that the ST clearly didn't.

Howard Chan founder & CEO of Hot Toys: "The Sequel Trilogy was terrible and it's sales sucked."

Khev: "I want to see all your financial records Howard."

:lol

One last aside regarding the ST era. I absolutely know that if it can get a CW-esque series it will be almost redeemable. Kylo has enough popularity and a series following Grand master Luke and Padawan Kylo would do well to flesh out the era. So far Mandalorian has done some work to finally bring the New Republic to life (one of the worst shortcomings and oversights of the ST films). I know it?s been talked about to death but PT and ST are similar but different beasts. It?s just sad what could have been with just the right creator/vision like Favreau and Filoni at the helm.

Resistance seemed to be a failure, I didn't bother watching but was cancelled in January 2020. The problem with the movies themselves and fitting in a show is they left no damn room. I just checked and all three movies are between 34-35 ABY, with the first two literally having almost zero time pass between them. That's a decision which I'll never understand.

Resistance seemed to be a failure, I didn't bother watching but was cancelled in January 2020. The problem with the movies themselves and fitting in a show is they left no damn room. I just checked and all three movies are between 34-35 ABY, with the first two literally having almost zero time pass between them. That's a decision which I'll never understand.

The ST has had tons of problems and we can sit here all day and talk about it...but having TFA and TLJ weeks between one another is up there as a major one imo. It allowed for none of the heroes to grow off-screen and allow for other stories to be told with those characters. 10 minutes into ESB and you know tons of stuff went down since the last film with Han and Leia arguing almost immediately and the mentioning of bounty hunters on Ord Mantell.

There is no reason for Disney to revisit the ST. They can spend time connecting the past (Mando) to the ST if they so choose but I would imagine they are more interested in exploiting the rich new territory of the Mando and Fett series.

I also imagine it is just a matter of time before Galaxy's Edge gets a redo to be more in step with those two shows as well as Obi-Wan's.

There is no reason for Disney to revisit the ST. They can spend time connecting the past (Mando) to the ST if they so choose but I would imagine they are more interested in exploiting the rich new territory of the Mando and Fett series.

I also imagine it is just a matter of time before Galaxy's Edge gets a redo to be more in step with those two shows as well as Obi-Wan's.

That thing cost a ton of money, I don't see any way Disney revises both parks and rides anytime soon.

I doesn't take much to change it and add more Mando and Fett and Kenobi things. I'm not talking about a whole new park.

That 'ride' can be converted to interior Gideon craft hanger with Luke sutting down Dark Troopers... instead of the current ST Ducktroopers waddling around (or worse, just standing there).

Another crime perpetrated by Kathleen The Buffoon Kennedy. It was of course originally planned as an OT themed park until Kennedy made them scrap those plans. It will cost some money to re-do but if Kennedy isn't re-upped this year I imagine changes to the park will soon follow.

Resistance was terrible but it really had minimal New Republic in it. Focusing on atmospheric races seemed to make it inconsequential as well. The art style wasn?t well received either. Yet again wasted opportunities. I agree with time span as well. It is a major issue among many. I would say the three main issues stem from lack of New Republic/political dynamics of the era, restrictive time span in the era and wrong emphasis on original 3. They focused on Han, Leia and Luke in the wrong ways and neglected them in others leading to diminishing the new cast as well as the old beloved cast at the same time. Smarter writing and a plan for the trilogy would have done wonders.

Another crime perpetrated by Kathleen The Buffoon Kennedy. It was of course originally planned as an OT themed park until Kennedy made them scrap those plans. It will cost some money to re-do but if Kennedy isn't re-upped this year I imagine changes to the park will soon follow.

Should of had the park represent all 3 eras equally but of course we couldn't have nice things.

Yeah it seems insane to build a massive Star Wars theme park and ignore classic SW settings like the Cantina, the Death Star and Jabba's Palace. There's so much you could have done with those environments. And jeez what a ride the Hoth battle would have made.

I'm not much of a PT fan but I could see the pod race as a fun ride too.

I do have some ST figures, and I plan on buying the TROS Rey to complete my Rey lineup, but the sad, honest truth is that the ST really wasn't received well. I'm not even going to talk about critically or whatever because god knows how many essays have been thrown at each other over the internet about it, but rather commercially.

The ST did not do well, period. Look at the declining box revenues film after film. Star Wars is a legacy thing, and it's literally a household name, even in where I'm from (South-East Asia). But how on Earth is it that Marvel crushes the box office film after film but Star Wars lags behind so greatly... By the time TLJ aired and the fans reactions were out, all the excitement and buzz faded. When TROS (which supposedly is the culmination of the grand 9 episode Skywalker Saga) was to be released, genuinely nobody outside of Star Wars fans even knew or cared. Marvel was an absolute phenomenon, even without the cult-like, loyal fanbase of SW before the past decade of Marvel films.

And let's not even talk about merch. It simply isn't good over here. At my local toy shops and my own HT supplier, they told me that interest in ST figures were close to non existent. During TFA, even for those stupid troopers that barely have any differences slapped onto them, they still sold well and there were quite a few POs. But afterwards, retail couldn't sell it at all even with huge discounts. I have seen MISB Finn been listed on local shops/platforms for ~120 USD and it still didn't move. The endless variants of troopers were sold in bundle sets that were barely half of their PO price.

As a huge SW fan, I'm indeed sad about the state of the ST. Wanted to see my OT heroes in their glory etc.... (but that's a diff discussion). I can't even get TROS Rey at retail simply because nobody brought in excess stock, and the people that actually POed Rey are either huge ST fans/hardcore completionist/huge minority because I can't even find any for sale... I actually told my shop to let me know if there happens to be anybody who have up their PO etc, but he told me he will let me know and not get my hopes up because very few POs were made.

Sure, my country is indeed small, and the scale of the collectibles market can't be compared to the US, but when at one shop OT figures can have hundreds of POs and ST figures can barely go above 10, you can infer some things...

That said, can't wait for a Mando Luke, though I have no clue what kind of HS will they even give us...

Back