New Sideshow Policy - non-refundable deposit figures over $224

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think 6 to 8 months for a regular 1/6 and 12-14 months for a larger piece is a fair turn around. Having to wait a year or more for a regular sized 1/6 figure is a bit too long.

HT are a little odd sometimes with some figures coming out much earlier than they were originally meant to. We've already seen the Stormtroopers, DOFP Wolverine and Ichabod Crane released at least 6 months earlier than planned.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I PO 2 Sideshow PF and end up canceled them.

Due to the price hike, I'm very selective of what I buy or PO lately.

Most PF are $400 now.

My first Sideshow PF Psylocke was $299.99 shipped in January 2013.

So they increased $100 since 2 years ago? Wow

I PO 2 Sideshow PF and end up canceled them.

Due to the price hike, I'm very selective of what I buy or PO lately.

Most PF are $400 now.

My first Sideshow PF Psylocke was $299.99 shipped in January 2013.

So they increased $100 since 2 years ago? Wow

Even OPEC isn't that bold when they gouge you at the pump. :lol

I agree with some of the criticisms surrounding NRDs.. not least the concern, in times of austerity, as to whether some retailers will still be in business by the time a pre-ordered toy finally ships.. however I think it is fair to take into consideration that in some other collectible markets, such as Urban Vinyl, it is quite common to pay the entire cost of a figure on placing a pre-order, even though the figure may not be shipped for more than a year.. which does make NRDs look slightly less invidious.

No-one is forced to pay a NRD and it probably helps suppliers look at rather more solid numbers for expected sales.. rather than a market where collectors pre-order pretty much everything, since there is no obstacle to doing so.. only to cancel large numbers of figures, close to the shipping date.

Sideshow can do whatever they want with their business model and I can do what I want with my money. Personally I find NRD to be a bit dirty. I also despise how they are always testing the ceiling, see XWing Luke. Its true that collectors can be a fickle bunch but at this point SS has enough data to generally know how many figures to produce. The NRD is just a gravy revenue stream that they will be making off indecisive collectors. What it means for me is no more "placeholder till coupon" orders and probably less purchases in general. I realize that this has been a negative post but I do view Sideshow as a solid retailer, they are safe to buy from and generally stand behind the quality of the stuff they sell. But for the prices they are asking now, its dog eat dog.

Spot on, couldn't agree more. :goodpost:

This just helps me completely end my PO habit. I had already scaled back with too many NRD's. But with little selling out these days, no need to pay a deposit on anything I may change my mind on or not be interested in if something better comes along. Most recent releases are easy enough to get at or slightly below retail. I have a kid now so I'm already extra picky with what I can buy these days. :)

Exactly. Day 1 of when a pre order goes up I typically know if I'm 100% in or out on a collectible, but I'm close to being done with paying NRD's on anything as Hulkbuster will be the last of them. NRD's on normal 1:6 HT IM figs turn me off immediately, so I just give BBTS that business. Dropping an NRD on a statue they offer is a huge gamble I'm not willing to take anymore, so I've completely eliminated all possible PO's and am content waiting for in hand production pics from fellow collectors as they aren't selling out anyway with monstrous edition sizes.

The big issue is simply that Sideshow want it both ways.

Pay them a deposit up front ....with no responsibility on their end to produce a quality product that matches their preview pics.

I agree.

Actually, I don't think they should even preview a figure. Just throw it up when you're ready to sell it.
This is one thing I hate that Sideshow and Hot Toys both do, although a lot of times with Hot Toys at least they'll throw up pictures on Facebook the night before a pre-order goes live. I hate Sideshow's way of giving a preview for a pre-order of a figure or statue that's going to be up for pre-order soon but could be far off from actually going up for order. Just reveal the product rather than teasing people with something for a product that most likely won't even be in consumer's hands for a good year or more anyways.

I really think the ideal situation for products would be to put them up for order somewhat closer to when they're ready to deliver an item. I'd say maybe give like a three month window so the product can be fine tuned and whatnot plus it gives customers a bit of time to save up if they need to before an item arrives. The year or more wait times in this hobby can be ridiculous and part of the problem with cancer cancellations in the first place most likely.

The year or more wait times in this hobby can be ridiculous and part of the problem with cancer cancellations in the first place most likely.

I've never pre-ordered cancer, but I would definitely cancel it if I came across it in my order history.

I don't know about the rest of you but I've never had a problem getting my NRD back due to a delay or dissatisfaction with the final product. To me, the customer service at SS is the main reason that I purchase almost exclusively through them.

I have to admit that I'm part of the problem though. As soon as a sixth scale figure goes up on their website without a NRD I place an order for it, if I have even the slightest interest in it. Just so that I don't have to worry if it's waitlisted/sold out later on.

Of course, I almost exclusively order PFs now so a NRD isn't new to me. I would never purchase a 1/6 SS figure. The only figure I have ever purchased from them was the recent Batman, and while I loved the look of it, the body was terrible and kept flopping over at the waist. Never again.

The big issue is simply that Sideshow want it both ways.

Pay them a deposit up front ....with no responsibility on their end to produce a quality product that matches their preview pics.

:clap:lecture ^^^ You hit the nail on the head. This is 100% correct.

IMO, it's fine to show a one-of-a-kind hand-made prototype at a con or show, or even in a sneak-peek online. However, the minute the ordering goes live, you'd better be showing a production sample. Period. You don't have to be mass-producing, but that sample should have been created with the same processes you will use on the final runs.

Back