New Sideshow Policy - non-refundable deposit figures over $224

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TaliBane

Super Freak
Reaction score
Not sure if this is worth a new thread, but I've seen discussion of it in several threads already. This week SSC started a new policy of charging a NRD on all figs $224 and over, even ones that have already been up for PO for months, including both HT and SSC products.

Given that it is likely that any new Sideshow figures (definitely human ones) will be over that price - Luke X-Wing and Indy are fairly basic human figures that are over $224, and have been up for PO for months - this will be a policy that will apply to all new SSC figs going forward.

There have been some significant mis-matches in quality between proto and production figures from Sideshow recently, so there may be discussion about how things will be handled if an NRD is charged based on proto pics, but the production figure is noticeably lesser quality. Drake is a good example.

I cancelled my Plisskin based on poor quality. In effect lost money on pre-orders last year because the items went on sale/clearance.

mmm yeah...I will not be putting any deposits on pre-orders.

Same. I'm just not pre-ordering much of anything anymore unless I'm extremely confident that I'll be happy with the results, and very sure that I won't cancel. And those examples are few and far between. One example here is Marty McFly. There was 0 chance I wouldn't get him, even if the production figure has flaws. It's their right to do that, it makes some sense in that they don't want to overestimate demand, but considering the huge discrepancy we often see between prototype and production figure, as a customer, it kind of sucks. So, I'll wait until we get in-hand pics, and if it looks great and I miss out on an exclusive or whatever, then oh, well.

Can you not order a figure and return for full refund if you are not happy? Suppose you have to eat the return shipping?

That's why I'm done ordering directly from Sideshow. Big Bad and Alter Ego for me from here on out.

Can you not order a figure and return for full refund if you are not happy? Suppose you have to eat the return shipping?
If it's due to a defect, in theory they will cover return shipping. But they've become a lot more picky about what they constitute as a defect over the last few years. My HT Spidey had large, dark splotches on the head, and they said I would have had to pay for the return shipping if I wanted to send it back. I actually used up my "one time courtesy" NRD refund on the Captain America Hot Toys 2 pack because I was not happy with the shift from prototype to production in terms of the figure body, but customer service told me that there is a "production figure may differ from prototype" disclaimer so I was just going to have to deal with it, one way or the other.

I assume, if you preordered prior to this change, that Sideshow won't be charging the NRD on those preorders?

I'm very happy about the NRD. I need all the help I can get to cut back on this bad habit. Definitely finished with preordering.

In fact, the whole preorder a full 9 months to year in advance is ridiculous anyway. They should just put the thing up for order when it's ready to ship. At this point, they know how many to make. There's no need to count preorders since they're unreliable anyway.

If it's due to a defect, in theory they will cover return shipping. But they've become a lot more picky about what they constitute as a defect over the last few years. My HT Spidey had large, dark splotches on the head, and they said I would have had to pay for the return shipping if I wanted to send it back. I actually used up my "one time courtesy" NRD refund on the Captain America Hot Toys 2 pack because I was not happy with the shift from prototype to production in terms of the figure body, but customer service told me that there is a "production figure may differ from prototype" disclaimer so I was just going to have to deal with it, one way or the other.

If that's the case, I wouldn pre order anything either

I'm not that picky at all, so what they release that I want I order and have no regrets after

I assume, if you preordered prior to this change, that Sideshow won't be charging the NRD on those preorders?

I'm very happy about the NRD. I need all the help I can get to cut back on this bad habit. Definitely finished with preordering.

In fact, the whole preorder a full 9 months to year in advance is ridiculous anyway. They should just put the thing up for order when it's ready to ship. At this point, they know how many to make. There's no need to count preorders since they're unreliable anyway.

Bingo, like I said I have no issue with the nrd, but like you said when items are over a year from delivery then that's ridiculous. They should have a better grasp on production and delivery. Feels like today they are just winging it at our expense

I guess PO cancellations meant to use a coupon and reorder instantaneously might have a play in this new policy. Not sure Sideshow sales won't get hurt in the process.

I hate the idea of putting a deposit down on these things. I agree about not bothering to pre-order anymore. It seems like most items are still up for sale well after they are released. The only thing is if items have an ex--those hold on much longer than they used to, but still tend to sell out very close to their release date. Occasionally the exes will stick around for a bit after the release date.

The only thing I'm considering pre-ordering with an NRD is the Han/Chewie set because I want the Han ex of the Stormtrooper belt and blaster. And I'm only considering that because I've got some points I can spend on it. I do have the option of getting the figures separately. They don't seem to have an NRD as individuals figures (yet). I may do that.

I guess PO cancellations meant to use a coupon and reorder instantaneously might have a play in this new policy. Not sure Sideshow sales won't get hurt in the process.

Irrelevant if those orders are eventually cancelled anyway, I'm sure they've done the math

The only thing I'm considering pre-ordering with an NRD is the Han/Chewie set because I want the Han ex of the Stormtrooper belt and blaster. And I'm only considering that because I've got some points I can spend on it.

Plus it's Hot Toys. Odds are much better that you'll get something that actually looks like the prototype. But an NRD on X-Wing Luke when we have no idea how crazy he's going to turn out? No way.

Plus it's Hot Toys. Odds are much better that you'll get something that actually looks like the prototype. But an NRD on X-Wing Luke when we have no idea how crazy he's going to turn out? No way.

At that price I can't believe anyone preordered it

Sideshow has definitely been on a downward trend as of late. No more POs for me, although I've cut back anyways due to the prototype-to-actual product problems they are becoming know for.

They r Making it easy to cut back. I've been looking for a reason to do that as this is an addiction. I've ordered to many figures I could have done with out just because I had to have them( addiction). Now, well this just seems like a FU from SSC. It wouldn't be a problem if their production matched the proto to but they don't . We want them to up their game and they heard us and said screw you.

Back