New Doctor Who 1:6 from Big Chief Studios!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yup. Can't guarantee to not fall asleep before 2am, so, it's up to my dad, again.

I'll permit myself a wry smile if this fantastic marketing strategy results in their server melting and next day we'll find them putting up a notice on their website saying they only accept postal orders...

Things got complicated again. The pre-order will go live in 6pm London GMT time. In about 20 hours. It goes live on the 24th and now it's 00:00 and we just entered the 24th(at least where i live).Even though time zones differ remember that we have 20 hours left to go.

It'll go live in 18 hours UK time, 19 hours my time, some time in the US and all it's time zone insanity.

I'll permit myself a wry smile if this fantastic marketing strategy results in their server melting and next day we'll find them putting up a notice on their website saying they only accept postal orders...

I'm quoting myself because we are starting to see quite high levels of confusion and insanity. I really think BC should change the idea of a limited release to a limited release window.

I'm sure they know what they're doing, and quite possibly the number of people signed up for pre-order doesn't represent the number of people who will actually buy, given the high (if worthwhile) price; and the figure takes a few days or more to sell out.

However, I can also imagine a scenario whereby the site crashes, people get pissed off, and then if it sells out lots of people get angry when they can't buy a figure they want, exchanging reputational damage for lost sales, instead of cash for figures!

If approx 4000 people have signed up and that bears no relation to sales - and 1250 figures then take a while to sell out - then fine, they're right and I'm wrong. But if they could have sold another 1000 figures and didn't, and pissed people off in the meantime... what's the point in that?

From a marketing point of view scarcity works, but make it time scarcity rather than unit scarcity. Otherwise, picture it, you have people all over the world refreshing their screens and cursing you at 6pm tomorrow (or today for DVD1!)... not good.

One final thought; people who don't get tennant, or don't get this version, may lose interest in the line as collecting attracts completists.

Open window edition would be better, but keep in mind that the item costs WAAAAY more than the average person who signed up imagines.

I've had a friend wanting it, signing up, and upon hearing the price went ape**** cos it was over 50 quid. Ha.

I'd like the open window edition. I personally would open orders, see how many pay a deposit while knowing full price, seeing the product (still no pics, this annoys me), all the jazz, and make enough to fill the orders and have for about 50 I'd say full figures for eventual replacement parts.

I don't see this line being very secondary market-y. Completionists being one thing, the second being, all collectors of Who are concentrated over a few places. It's not a character a lot of people would buy outside the fanbase, unlike Superman or Batman or Whoeverthe****elseman. So I don't think secondary market value/rarity have very much effect.

I've had a friend wanting it, signing up, and upon hearing the price went ape**** cos it was over 50 quid. Ha.

I'd like the open window edition. I personally would open orders, see how many pay a deposit while knowing full price, seeing the product (still no pics, this annoys me), all the jazz, and make enough to fill the orders and have for about 50 I'd say full figures for eventual replacement parts.

I don't see this line being very secondary market-y. Completionists being one thing, the second being, all collectors of Who are concentrated over a few places. It's not a character a lot of people would buy outside the fanbase, unlike Superman or Batman or Whoeverthe****elseman. So I don't think secondary market value/rarity have very much effect.

I can't predict whats going to happen if BCS released another 10, especially if its better that this one, but if this is the only one they ever make I can see this becoming VERY valuable. I don't think Doctor Who is a highly turned over franchise, meaning the people who buy this particularly at this price will hold onto it for a while. Unlike Iron Man or Batman figures which get tossed around like old magazines from person to person.

Email received. Guess we can all breath this temporary sigh of relief, like Dec 22 all over again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back