New Display case concept

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

316what

The Real Vic Mackey
Reaction score
Soon to be Hell if I don't change my ways.
Here's a quick mockup of a concept I'm working on to store/display my comics and my statues. The open slots will be for hard covers, etc. It should fit at least 6 statues of this size on top. Biggest difference from the video below is that I'll trim everything out to match the pedestals I previously made.

The comic drawers are based on this concept:

Any thoughts, critiques, suggestions are welcome.

I couldn't decide if I wanted to use mdf or cabinet grade plywood. Well my trip to Home Depot made the decision easy. They had 3/4 sheets of mdf on sale for $18.90 per sheet.....regular price was $34 and change.

However Home Depot was out of stock. So I stopped by Lowe's to see if they had any. They did but at the regular price. I asked and they said they would price match AND knock off 10%. So I loaded up 8 sheets and went to checkout. At checkout I asked about their military discount and got an additional 10% off. So each 4 x 8 sheet came to $15 an change.

I used an online tool for my cut sheets....the cutting starts tomorrow.

Nice. I wish retailers here would do stuff like that. If a thing costs $100 in the US expect to pay $150 over here. Having said that , Congrats. It would be great if you share pics of the build.

Nice. I wish retailers here would do stuff like that. If a thing costs $100 in the US expect to pay $150 over here. Having said that , Congrats. It would be great if you share pics of the build.

I'm almost finished cutting all of the pieces. I have 18 pieces left to cut (out of 117) tomorrow after work. When I'm done, I'll take some pictures of the "puzzle pieces" and post them.

One thing I have not decided on yet, is what to use for the top. I looked into laminate since I'm using mdf, but locally there wasn't anything close to the color/style I want. So now I'm down to 3 choices:

1. Stained cabinet grade plywood
2. Laminate counter top
3. Laminate flooring

Have you considered granite?

Most granite shops have scraps that they sell cheap and you should be able to find one to suite your needs.

You can also have MDF "wrapped" at most sign shops. They can wrap it with any graphic and they have material that is strong enough to apply to cars so I think it could handle the stress of your application.

Here are a few pics of the puzzle so far.

5upyzyzu.jpg

4ebupe8a.jpg

azy8a2y8.jpg

dame4uny.jpg

Still a bit of work to go: finish assembling drawers, painting, installing sliders and molding.

Looking good! I appreciate the WIP pics. Can't wait to see the end result.

Thanks. Unfortunately there won't be anymore pics for at least a week. I have to work out of town all next week so the project will be on hold. But that gives me time to order the other supplies I need and for them to be here waiting on me next weekend.:clap

Here are a couple updated pics. I got most of the sliders installed and have to finish the other 8 big boxes. Then I have to install the base, put it all together and install the molding and top and finish it off with the plexiglass fronts for each drawer.

0fd0ba54933ee76af7c315aa850a6844.jpg

26e22c170a0acb728119aa17c75ec851.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Really nice so far--will those drawer slides hold the weight of the comics when the drawer is fully pulled out? That would be my main worry since a full box is a lot of weight.

Really nice so far--will those drawer slides hold the weight of the comics when the drawer is fully pulled out? That would be my main worry since a full box is a lot of weight.

The drawer slides are rated to hold 75 pounds. Each drawer is almost the size of a small box so I should be within limits if I were to fill each drawer to the max.

Back